Is Suicide Wrong, Is it the ultimate act of Selfishness?

Hardvalve

• Members
Because I was there myself, I lost it completely and wanted to die hence why I put a knife through my leg (I was aiming for my stomach) but I went and got help, and there is help out there, you just have to get out there and do it.

I think it is selfish in the fact that some one has to mop up after you go, whether family or the people that clean up your body. It will always effect someone and I think for that reason it is a self centered act. Don't get me wrong I understand it, maybe better than most, but my experience proved to me it is a cop out a weak way of dealing with things. the best way is to go and living prove to yourself you can make it.. Far more rewarding.

But again, you're only seeing it from your perspective. You might have been pretty far down, but obviously you weren't completely broken as you were able to pick yourself up and start trying to fix things. Not everyone has that left in them, not everyone is given a moment in clear thinking that lets them see that things are wrong and that there's another way out of it.

And sorry, but gotta ask... if you were aiming for your stomach, how in the {censored} did you put it in your leg? :confused:

I put a knife in my arm once, about 12 or 13 years ago maybe. Wasn't trying to kill myself or anything, just figured it'd make me feel better. And it did. How does that work? I've got no idea, coz that was I guess the logic of a lunatic. Still have the scar, still makes no sense to me. :idk:

And yet since then, I've gained two more on my chest. Mid-ironing I just decided to put the plate to my skin. Lesson learned: Don't iron while depressed. :idk:

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No point in giving any opinion.

I've been down in a hole, but managed to dig my way up with help. I was drinking myself to a slow death.

Others can't manage it, but ending one's life is so extreme, that I don't think ANYONE is completely sane when they do it.

The reason why I think so?

People manage to lift trucks if they have a good enough reason, survive multiple gunshots, car crashes so bad they look dead, and wish they were

They still manage to pull through. The human will to survive is the other extreme...

• Members

But again, you're only seeing it from your perspective. You might have been pretty far down, but obviously you weren't completely broken as you were able to pick yourself up and start trying to fix things. Not everyone has that left in them, not everyone is given a moment in clear thinking that lets them see that things are wrong and that there's another way out of it.

And sorry, but gotta ask... if you were aiming for your stomach,
how in the {censored} did you put it in your leg?
:confused:

I put a knife in my arm once, about 12 or 13 years ago maybe. Wasn't trying to kill myself or anything, just figured it'd make me feel better. And it did. How does that work? I've got no idea, coz that was I guess the logic of a lunatic. Still have the scar, still makes no sense to me.
:idk:

And yet since then, I've gained two more on my chest. Mid-ironing I just decided to put the plate to my skin. Lesson learned: Don't iron while depressed.

I have no idea it was a blur, maybe my self conciseness say whooo what are you doing you dick. I am not proud of it but it taught me a good lesson.

I will also add my anger at suicide comes from my ex doing to to me (ie OD'ing) and I was the one who had to call an ambulance and the call her mother to tell her what happened, I was left to pick up the pieces. And after I had done everything I could to help her.

She also tried to beat the {censored} out me too before hand. All after a gig.

• Members

I really don't understand why the mods leave these threads open. There may be 1 or 2 people qualified to pipe in but a forum is the last place where I would take any type of info seriously. Especially on a topic as serious as suicide.

sooo... uhh... opinions are all of a sudden dismissible?

• Members

And sorry, but gotta ask... if you were aiming for your stomach, how in the {censored} did you put it in your leg?

I put a knife in my arm once, about 12 or 13 years ago maybe. Wasn't trying to kill myself or anything, just figured it'd make me feel better. And it did. How does that work? I've got no idea, coz that was I guess the logic of a lunatic. Still have the scar, still makes no sense to me.

And yet since then, I've gained two more on my chest. Mid-ironing I just decided to put the plate to my skin. Lesson learned: Don't iron while depressed.

I know exactly how it is man. I have never physically "harmed" myself, but when I am feeling depressed, which is quite often (diagnosed with manic depression), I take it out on the iron in the gym. When I have 315lbs on my back and my ass is almost on the floor in mid squat, the weights of the world seem meaningless when I have to stand up with that on top of me. It's exhilarating, it rids my mind of worry if only for a second. I guess my bias is that is the pain that I am addicted to, some people have other pains and poisons. Thankfully I was raised by some great people in my family and have learned from the start that when you are given something negative, you gotta work positive. Exercise, school work, tackling a project at the office. Gets my head off of being depressed for no reason.

• Members

No point in giving any opinion.

I've been down in a hole, but managed to dig my way up with help. I was drinking myself to a slow death.

Others can't manage it, but ending one's life is so extreme, that I don't think ANYONE is completely sane when they do it.

The reason why I think so?

People manage to lift trucks if they have a good enough reason, survive multiple gunshots, car crashes so bad they look dead, and wish they were

They still manage to pull through. The human will to survive is the other extreme...

Well...you gave an opinion anyway. And I, for one, appreciate it. Thanks.

• Members
Well I said as much in an earlier post. If we want to redefine "unselfish act"....or I suppose take it completely out of the vernacular...so be it. What a sad society we live in. Truly. When one can't even perform an "unselfish" act without being called selfish.

What have we become? No such thing as "unselfishness".
:(:cry:

I don't necessarily see it as being bad, just realistic. It doesn't suddenly turn a positive and seemingly selfless act into a horrible thing. I don't consider it a less respectable act if both parties are benefiting in some way rather than just one.

That said, this is all a bit too philosophical for me at 3:30am. :o

• Members

I know exactly how it is man. I have never physically "harmed" myself, but when I am feeling depressed, which is quite often (diagnosed with manic depression), I take it out on the iron in the gym. When I have 315lbs on my back and my ass is almost on the floor in mid squat, the weights of the world seem meaningless when I have to stand up with that on top of me. It's exhilarating, it rids my mind of worry if only for a second. I guess my bias is that is the pain that I am addicted to, some people have other pains and poisons. Thankfully I was raised by some great people in my family and have learned from the start that when you are given something negative, you gotta work positive. Exercise, school work, tackling a project at the office. Gets my head off of being depressed for no reason.

You touched one something very important. You found a way, a reason, around your feelings.

Now...I'm not saying "depression" and "suicide" only appeared in the 1900's. But...I can only wonder if it would be as prominent if we had to build or own homes, grow and hunt our own food. Would their be time to be "depressed"? Would you get so hungry that your search for food would make you forget you were depressed? :idk:

• Members

I don't necessarily see it as being bad, just realistic. It doesn't suddenly turn a positive and seemingly selfless act into a horrible thing. I don't consider it a less respectable act if both parties are benefiting in some way rather than just one.

That said, this is all a bit too philosophical for me at 3:30am.
:o

I understand it. A Freudian thing, I guess. Our deep motivations.

We need to discern some sort of difference though. I just read where a guy found 8,000 dollars and tracked down the owner. She didn't give him a dime (he didn't want anything anyway...he just wanted to "do the right thing").

What do we make of this situation? Do we say they are both selfish? I don't buy it.

Now get to bed!

• Members
I have no idea it was a blur, maybe my self conciseness say whooo what are you doing you dick. I am not proud of it but it taught me a good lesson.

I will also add my anger at suicide comes from my ex doing to to me (ie OD'ing) and I was the one who had to call an ambulance and the call her mother to tell her what happened, I was left to pick up the pieces. And after I had done everything I could to help her.

She also tried to beat the {censored} out me too before hand. All after a gig.

Have to say, I can't understand your point of view. Surely after all you've experienced, you'd understand perfectly well that mental illness does some absolutely {censored}ed up {censored} to the way you view the world. Honestly just can't understand. :confused:

One of my ex-GFs told me on the phone she'd taken a {censored}load of pills to kill herself. Lost my licence driving to her house (done on camera doing 130km/h in a 100 zone... lucky they didn't get me doing 160 earlier!)... turned out she wasn't suicidal, she was just an attention whore. And another time, she told me I should kill myself, and that she wished I'd never been born. Yeah... {censored}in' EX-girlfriend.

• Members

Well...you gave an opinion anyway. And I, for one, appreciate it. Thanks.

No opinion :) Just observations on either side. I said nothing of what I think about it. The sane/not sane and strong enough/not strong enough is just the facts of it :)

• Members

I understand it. A Freudian thing, I guess. Our deep motivations.

We need to discern some sort of difference though. I just read where a guy found 8,000 dollars and tracked down the owner. She didn't give him a dime (he didn't want anything anyway...he just wanted to "do the right thing").

What do we make of this situation? Do we say they are both selfish? I don't buy it.

Now get to bed!

He wanted to feel good about himself, and she was just a tight-arsed bitch. :o

And I would go to bed, but I'm not in the slightest bit tired. My sleep patterns consist of accumulating enough poor nights of sleep (or no sleep at all in some cases) until I finally just crash. And then it starts again. :idk:

• Members

You touched one something very important. You found a way, a reason, around your feelings.

Now...I'm not saying "depression" and "suicide" only appeared in the 1900's. But...I can only wonder if it would be as prominent if we had to build or own homes, grow and hunt our own food. Would their be time to be "depressed"? Would you get so hungry that your search for food would make you forget you were depressed?

It's an interesting thought. I've got no idea when the first real (not necessarily officially recorded) case of depression would have been, but it certainly does seem like a disease of more modern societies. I just can't imagine an African tribesman sitting around depressed thinking, "Maybe I should just do everyone a favour and put this spear through my own head. :("

Couldn't really say if it would have made any difference for me. I was of course raised where and how I was. I was dropped in that situation, I'd probably be more inclined to go, "Where's my car? There's gotta be a {censored}in' supermarket around here somewhere." :o If that was the world I grew up in though? Who knows... :idk:

• Members

double edged sword.

killing yourself hurts those who love you, selfish to them.

but forcing someone to live when they want nothing, enjoy nothing, and can't comprehend how people can live in the same world they live in is selfish as well.

but then there's something that makes you not want to do it.

for example, i have been severely depressed all my life. i was classified as severely emotionally disturbed at a young age, socially inept, just leaving the house scared the {censored} out of me. i wanted to die from a young age and tried several times but couldn't finish the job. i kept thinking how much it would hurt my mom if i did and that stopped me. fast forward 20 years and here i am, still having the same issues, still wanting to die, but i don't care what pain i leave behind. and i still can't finish the job. so i live a tortuous existence hidden away from the world. people i talk to about it keep trying to talk me into staying, but they have no reason when i ask why. then when it finally comes down to it, it's because they don't want to have to know someone who died.

i give myself reasons to kill myself, but for some reason i can't. and my life just gets increasingly {censored}tier every day.

and if i killed myself today, no one would know until the neighbors started complaining about the smell.

If what you write is real and not just a troll i honestly feel sorry for you.

Although i was not as bad off as you are according to your story i know that feeling of not mattering to anyone, and it is not a nice place to be.

• Members

I am an atheist, but that was a nice and honest post.

Thanks Neil, I have found that atheist/agnostic or any type of person who practices patience, humility, compassion and simple kindness are closer to the heart of Christ than a believer who lives like a moral slob.

I believe a man/woman seeking truth and love will find salvation.

• Members

Thanks Neil, I have found that atheist/agnostic or any type of person who practices patience, humility, compassion and simple kindness are closer to the heart of Christ than a believer who lives like a moral slob.

I believe a man/woman seeking truth and love will find salvation.

Thanks, I was actualy brought up as a christian (C of E) but I decided it was not for me. but your words where kind and wise whatever you believe and I respect that a lot.

• Members

Have to say, I can't understand your point of view. Surely after all you've experienced, you'd understand perfectly well that mental illness does some absolutely {censored}ed up {censored} to the way you view the world. Honestly just can't understand.

One of my ex-GFs told me on the phone she'd taken a {censored}load of pills to kill herself. Lost my licence driving to her house (done on camera doing 130km/h in a 100 zone... lucky they didn't get me doing 160 earlier!)... turned out she wasn't suicidal, she was just an attention whore. And another time, she told me I should kill myself, and that she wished I'd never been born. Yeah... {censored}in' EX-girlfriend.

EX's huh :D

• Members

if anybody is going to do it ... have at it. Just don't make a mess for others to {censored}ing clean up !!!!!! Go skydiving and jump out of a plane with no parachute & become shark food, don't blow your head off with a shotgun - somebody's gotta clean that {censored} up. Guns don't leave a little hole like they do in the movies kids ... the carnage following a point blank head shot is grim & nothing anyone other than those unfortunately few in the military should be so unlucky to ever have to see. If you do it in your own house with loved ones around, yeah, thats the ultimate POS selfish act ...

• Members

I over dosed last year, but the cops showed up in time to take me to the hospital,

I'm better now, but doesn't mean I wont try again. When you lose all identity and hope, there are very few things that could reel you back.

• Members

if anybody is going to do it ... have at it. Just don't make a mess for others to {censored}ing clean up !!!!!! Go skydiving and jump out of a plane with no parachute & become shark food,
don't blow your head off with a shotgun - somebody's gotta clean that {censored} up. Guns don't leave a little hole like they do in the movies kids ... the carnage following a point blank head shot is grim
& nothing anyone other than those unfortunately few in the military should be so unlucky to ever have to see. If you do it in your own house with loved ones around, yeah, thats the ultimate POS selfish act ...

You've got that right. Back in the 90's I worked for a bank doing car loans. One of our customers blew his head off with a shotgun in the car we financed for him. The entire interior was covered with blood, brains and bones. That {censored} was everywhere and I do mean everywhere. We had to write it off as a total loss.

• Members

I over dosed last year, but the cops showed up in time to take me to the hospital,

I'm better now, but doesn't mean I wont try again. When you lose all identity and hope, there are very few things that could reel you back.

There's a lot of bad things in this world. However...there's is so much beauty as well. So many things to see and do. So many things to learn.

Why give up looking for these things? No reason, that's why. Cop out. You are saying there's NOTHING here that interests you? Nothing you want to find out about? Experience? Learn about? Master?

As I said earlier...it can be easy to wonder why we're here. Who am I? What's the point? But see...that IS the whole point (if I may say there's actually one, for the sake of discussion). Find out who you are. Don't just give up.

For me..it's the tough times that I find out who I am. It's not the tough times that is the point. It's what I did during those tough times. I found out I can do more than I ever imagined. I'm tougher than I thought, smarter than I thought. And I'm still not done yet...never will be. I'm up to the challenge as long as I can wake up in the morning and move my muscles. Bring it!

If I may borrow a worn phrase... isn't a destination. There's still a whole journey in front of you. It's there just for the taking. Don't shut it down now.

Archived