Is Suicide Wrong, Is it the ultimate act of Selfishness?

Hardvalve

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

People die in life...it happens. Either you find a way to claw yourself out of your despair or you don't. Not everyone is built the same, and when dealing with serious mental/physical illnesses, telling someone to live just because you don't want to do without them is {censored}ty and inconsiderate. I totally get what you're saying, trust me. I'm saying that until a situation like that happens, sometimes you realize death isn't the worst thing possible..sometimes it seems like the only solution.

I know people die. I've seen more than my share of natural and tragic death since then. I get what you're saying as well, and in certain situations, I can understand it without approving of it.

To give more context to my own experience: My dad was an abusive alcoholic. He and my mom divorced when I was 15. He committed suicide a little over a week before my 18th birthday. There were no indicators, no signs, nothing. He remarried, and he and my step-mom had been married about 6 months when he did it. I remember the events of the day like it just happened. There was no warning. He and my step-mom argued, then...he did it. I don't hate him. But I will admit that I felt a certain amount of relief that he did it. And that {censored}s with me. That is selfishness on my part.

My brother turned to alcohol and drugs, and has {censored}ed his life up in more ways than I can count. The fact that he is still alive amazes me. I have spent a large portion of my life since worrying about him. I handled it differently. Everything my dad failed at, I have accomplished. He regretted not having joined the military and gone to Vietnam. I joined the military and went to war. He tried and failed to get hired by the department I work for. I tried, failed, tried again and succeeded. There are several other smaller things. In a way, my life is the life he wanted but could never achieve. Which {censored}s with me, because sometimes I wonder if my life is a lie. Is everything I have done since an attempt to keep myself from doing what he did? Weird, huh?

I still dream about him once or twice a week. In the dreams, invariably, he survived but is now brain damaged and not himself. I never dream of him how he was prior to the incident.

That is a nutshell version of how what he did has affected me. Sure, you can say I benefited from it in a way, but I don't know.

• Members

I know people die. I've seen more than my share of natural and tragic death since then. I get what you're saying as well, and in certain situations, I can understand it without approving of it.

To give more context to my own experience: My dad was an abusive alcoholic. He and my mom divorced when I was 15. He committed suicide a little over a week before my 18th birthday. There were no indicators, no signs, nothing. He remarried, and he and my step-mom had been married about 6 months when he did it. I remember the events of the day like it just happened. There was no warning. He and my step-mom argued, then...he did it. I don't hate him. But I will admit that I felt a certain amount of relief that he did it. And that {censored}s with me. That is selfishness on my part.

My brother turned to alcohol and drugs, and has {censored}ed his life up in more ways than I can count. The fact that he is still alive amazes me. I have spent a large portion of my life since worrying about him. I handled it differently. Everything my dad failed at, I have accomplished. He regretted not having joined the military and gone to Vietnam. I joined the military and went to war. He tried and failed to get hired by the department I work for. I tried, failed, tried again and succeeded. There are several other smaller things. In a way, my life is the life he wanted but could never achieve. Which {censored}s with me, because sometimes I wonder if my life is a lie. Is everything I have done since an attempt to keep myself from doing what he did? Weird, huh?

I still dream about him once or twice a week. In the dreams, invariably, he survived but is now brain damaged and not himself. I never dream of him how he was prior to the incident.

That is a nutshell version of how what he did has affected me. Sure, you can say I benefited from it in a way, but I don't know.

A good thing is that you were able to find a way to cope with what happened and even grew from it, though I'm sorry to hear about how things have gone for your brother. One thing about something you said, IMO if your decisions were a lie, you probably would always be complaining about your chosen profession, and I hadn't noticed that. If you feel you are able to get something from your profession and experiences and maybe even enjoy it some, IMO that's a good thing, and I believe that will positively influence others around you.

• Members

A good thing is that you were able to find a way to cope with what happened and even grew from it, though I'm sorry to hear about how things have gone for your brother. One thing about something you said, IMO if your decisions were a lie, you probably would always be complaining about your chosen profession, and I hadn't noticed that. If you feel you are able to get something from your profession and experiences and maybe even enjoy it some, IMO that's a good thing, and I believe that will positively influence others around you.

I agree. People cope with things in different ways. You turned what happened into something positive and you've benefited from it.

• Members

Yes I think it is selfish.

There was recently an American guy here is went mad for a while and handed out bags of {censored} to people and chased the very few foreigners around here (luckily I missed him).

He went back to the states and went on a AA program.

He then came back in the summer and made a big scene. Waited for the a train full of high school kids and stuck his head under it. In the most dramatic way possible.

I still get asked if I am going to do the same, the reason it effected the whole town and people now think its going to happen to many other people.

Suicide {censored}s things up for the people around the person who committed suiced and sometime for the whole community. It is selfish and self centered.

I will add I have suffered with bad depression, taken medication and had counseling for it. But I tried my hardest to make my life worth living and got through it.
There is help out there, man up and admit you have a problem and get help.

• Members

There was recently an American guy here is went mad for a while and handed out bags of {censored} to people and chased the very few foreigners around here (luckily I missed him).

He then came back in the summer and made a big scene. Waited for the a train full of high school kids and stuck his head under it. In the most dramatic way possible.

I still get asked if I am going to do the same, the reason it effected the whole town and people now think its going to happen to many other people.

Suicide {censored}s things up for the people around the person who committed suiced and sometime for the whole community. It is selfish and self centered.

I will add I have suffered with bad depression, taken medication and had counseling for it. But I tried my hardest to make my life worth living and got through it.

You said it yourself, the guy went mad. You think someone who throws himself under a train is thinking in a clear and rational way? Handing out bags of {censored} to people is just a bit of harmless fun, so we'll put that down to him being crazy. But killing himself? No, that's serious business, so in that case he knew exactly what he was doing and he was a {censored}ing selfish cuntwhore. :idk:

• Members

If you have nothing left in the world and no one to mourn you then I have no problem with it so long as you don't jump in front of a train or some other {censored} like that; Very few people meet this criteria.

It is important to remember that depression is an odd thing and it can't be reasoned with. What might seem trivial to us can be an all encompassing destructive force in the mind of someone with a deep rooted psychological problem and this will bend your reasoning out of shape something rotten.

• Members

I have been at that point where i was ready to take my life (yeah, sucks for some of you that i didn't do it, eh? :D ).

The one thing that kept me alive was my (then only) daughter - and for her sake, and for her sake only, i am glad i didn't do it.

Otherwise, there was no reason for me to live on. Quite simply that.

For those that have never been that far out, the despair of that situation is hard to understand, and can probably not be explained in any meaningful way.

The best example i can give is the Mel Gibson almost-suicide scene in "Lethal weapon" - the "make my pain go away" thing, where the logic you apply is that your own pain makes you incapable of being something other than a burden for the people you know and love.

So basically, IMO suicide is definitely a personal choice that should be respected.

However, if you have kids i think it would be wise to consider them as well - for me the realization that my life (as depressed as i was) would benefit my daughter more than my death was the crucial factor.

• Members

Suicide is sad, but necessary.

Our society is in the middle of a progression. If you have a mental problem that results in wanting to end your life and you don't have the intelligence/mental capacity to get help, you should be removed so we can move on with our business anyways.

At least do it in a clean manner that doesn't require clean-up and doesn't start a big ordeal. dig your own grave, blow your brains out in it.

I can't wait until we have suicide booths like in Futurama.

• Members
You said it yourself, the guy went mad. You think someone who throws himself under a train is thinking in a clear and rational way? Handing out bags of {censored} to people is just a bit of harmless fun, so we'll put that down to him being crazy. But killing himself? No, that's serious business, so in that case he knew exactly what he was doing and he was a {censored}ing selfish cuntwhore.
:idk:

Its the way he did it, there are some other details I left out, like mailing letters to people threatening to kill himself etc.

But my own experiences are different I had a mental breakdown when I was 26 and came very close the bottom myself, I am a lot stronger for it now though.

• Members

If someone does it in such a way as to make a huge scene and mess up as many people as possible (assuming the person was at least somewhat sane to begin with), then I agree it is selfish as well as stupid. But many don't go out that way. Basically, I see it this way; if any of us have ever been judged -- or even often judged -- and we didn't like it, it's possible we may be misjudging others even if we think we have them totally figured out.

• Members

If someone does it in such a way as to make a huge scene and mess up as many people as possible (assuming the person was at least somewhat sane to begin with), then I agree it is selfish as well as stupid. But many don't go out that way. Basically, I see it this way; if any of us have ever been judged -- or even often judged -- and we didn't like it, it's possible we may be misjudging others even if we think we have them totally figured out.

True, but the reason I am so hard on it from my own experience of an Ex attempting suicide and the fallout that led to my breakdown, and in turn depression.

• Members

Lots of good input here. Some thoughtful, and of, not so thoughtful, input. Lost my Father to suicide, but was in later stages of Lukemia, and all jacked up from Chemp. He lost massive weight, went blind, and had no life at all, but to lay around and be sick. My aunt found him (gunshot), and really messed her up. I don't approve of what he did, but I understand. Complicated issue, and lots of factors for people, mental illness, depression, despair from a horrible situation, and other things. I know some religions view it as an unforgivable sin, and can mess with people their whole lives like Hapless said. This is a situation close to me, and dealing with folks involving attempts. Several of us have been discussing this scenario, and what the impacts are.

• Members

I've dealt with two suicides, one a very very close friend, one an ex-girlfriend. I prevented her the first time she tried (held her down and literally gagged pesticide and bleach out of her stomach waiting for the ambulance, she was violent and it was extremely traumatic).

If you are suffering from a serious ailment. Get your family together, tell them what you are going to do, and for god's sake do it clean and don't make it a big event when someone finds you. The shock of it is the worst, when you remove that, it becomes a sole executive decision. It may hurt your family, they may think you are selfish, but this is your {censored}ing life and well-being, you have every damn right to be selfish.

If you are completely alone, useless to society, a serious addict and you know you will never have the will-power to get over your problems, or any of the above, and you decide to do it... Same thing in my opinion. Don't put a traumatic event of finding your exploded brains as wall-art on someone. If you KNOW you want to die, there should be no second-guessing, there should be no suicide attempt. Find a cliff and jump. You will likely be a pile of bones before anyone finds you. No mountains near you? Buy some bricks, tie yourself to them, rent a canoe, bury yourself in a lake.

• Members

*gack*

{censored} me it's too early to get into this {censored}.

Hapless man, {censored} my heart goes out to you and your family. Any others in the thread (not awake enough to read it all yet) that also lost a family member by their own hand I too share your grief and send you mojo.

For the OP: You can't distil the issue down to a simple "ultimate act of selfishness", as, like just about everything else in the human condition, it depends entirely upon the circumstances.

Yeah, I lost my dad to suicide when I was a very young man. 31 years later it still affects me.

Bass player in one of my bands / former best friend also killed himself.

Will post thoughts later today once I feel lucid enough to attempt something reasonably intelligent.

Advance warning: that moment may never come. :(

Archived