how well can you play when you're drunk?

guitarbilly74

• Members

A little drunk? Better, actually.

Drunk? Well. Probably as good as sober.

Real drunk? I have no idea. You'd have to ask the people who were listening
:lol:
I'm sure it's not super.

This. But I haven't played hammered since high school parties 10 years ago. I'm usually driving in one way shape or form.

I plan on getting toasted at our next bar show though :lol:

Really I like to have a beer or two and take a shot of whiskey before playing. Loosens me up

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
for real gigs, I complete agree. But if you're just jamming with your buddies
:idk:

hm. in that instance... less coffee. :D

a coupla beers, and i'm good, but past that.. hopeless. there's probably a point in there where self consciousness fades enough to do whatever you want without thinking about coloring in the lines... but past it.. i just start forgetting how to play. :lol:

• Members

Two beers in and my playing takes a dive. Hard. I consider this a built-in safety feature.

The the only bad thing about this safety feature is that the nature of substance has the effect of defeating the safety measures.

• Members

I play better with a light buzz than I do stone sober as I don't tense up. However, once I slip past that lightly buzzed phase my lack of a really solid base of talent...well, things get hilariously bad fast. :lol:

• Members

Being a little drunk doesn't affect my playing, but I do perform better... more rockin/headbanging/moving around stage, so as a rule I try to get about 3 beers in me prior to hitting the stage. Being really drunk is a total gong show... my fingers just don't follow commands well. I don't perform high but jamming while high is awesome.

• Members

With nearly any amount of beer I'm fine. I love playing live with a good beer buzz going. Liquor though? Forget it. Literally. Like I forget the songs. I got too {censored}ed up before one particular show and completely forgot a part of a song. I just stood there like WTF am I supposed to be playing??

• Members

I feel looser and more creative when I've had a several beers at a gig. But I have a line I try not to cross. I call it the Slash line and I judge where I am by how well I play Sweet Child O Mine, which is usually in our fourth set. If I struggle with it I haven't had enough beer. If I nail the solos it I've had the perfect amount. If I drink too much and cross into Slash land I sound just like Slash circa 1989 - Sloppy as hell and out of tune!

Archived