Really, how bad are Bugera amps?

Chrisjd

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think that if you can't spend $350 on an amp to gig with, you should play less guitar and get a second job. Because I am not rich but goddamn.

this.

i learned a long time ago that people that don't have a bunch of money need to buy good stuff. if you can only afford to buy it once, you better buy it right the first time.

• Members

The Infinium technology on the new Bugeras intrigues me. You can mix match 6L6 & EL84s and it automatically bias' it for you -& an LED on the back warns you when a tube goes bad. Any other amps have this?

They are German designed -even though they are made in China.

• Members

I see a reasonable price on one locally. a 333XL. Are these amps still ticking time bombs or have they actually been improved?

I bought mine (333xl) more than one year ago, and I have had zero problems. It already sounded very good, but I provided pre aand power tube by Groove Tubes and an American Classic output transformer, and it sounds even better, it sounds like an angry JCM800 without the need for a booster. Clean channel too is very good in my opinion. My technician said built was like many other big brand amp.

• Members

this.

i learned a long time ago that people that don't have a bunch of money need to buy good stuff. if you can only afford to buy it once, you better buy it right the first time.

yeah, if you're that broke, chances are you can't afford a back up amp. So you want to get that is very reliable to begin with. It's better to save up the extra $100 or so and get an used Peavey.

• Members

I don't get the reliability issue. I know, it's Behringer and their reputation sucks. But the #'s I've heard don't show a large failure rate. I've beeen using a V22 as my gig amp for a year and a half with zero issues. Aside from some early design errors, the amps seem to be pretty solid. There's not a huge price spread between several similar amps; I'd be inclined to choose based on sound more than anything else.

• Members

I liked my v22 when I had it.

I think the bigger amps just get damn hot. = Poss problem over time.

Put a fan in back if you get one.

That being said- I would def trust Peavey's great track record with reliability over Bugera's.

I myself would save up and get the peavey.

Me ten years ago would of just got the Bugera.

• Members

There's not a huge price spread between several similar amps; I'd be inclined to choose based on sound more than anything else.

I'm not a bedroom rockstar. I gig 3-6 times a month. I choose based on tone AND reliability.

• Members

Here in the Midwest, you aren't getting a XXX or 5150 for less than $500. At the very least. There is not a used gear market other than MusicGoRound and Guitar Center. Craigslist stuff that is actually good is few and far between beyond that. Ebay is a joke as well. It should be a buyer's market right now but for whatever reason it is not. Going Bugera is a crap shoot, but if the price is low enough, it's really a no brainer imo.

• Members

The Infinium technology on the new Bugeras intrigues me. You can mix match 6L6 & EL84s and it automatically bias' it for you -& an LED on the back warns you when a tube goes bad. Any other amps have this?

They are German designed -even though they are made in China.

Hughes and Kettner, which is probably where they stole the design from.

• Members

I don't get the reliability issue. I know, it's Behringer and their reputation sucks. But the #'s I've heard don't show a large failure rate. I've beeen using a V22 as my gig amp for a year and a half with zero issues. Aside from some early design errors, the amps seem to be pretty solid. There's not a huge price spread between several similar amps; I'd be inclined to choose based on sound more than anything else.

You have to remember this is HCAF... I remember when Madison was the one to make fun of. The one guy that bitched that his failed on here ended up apologizing as it was just a bad preamp tube. I never heard of another one failing but because of that and them being made in China, they're fire hazards :rolleyes:

Bugeras had some issues in the beginning but it's been worked out. Sure, they're cheaply built but they're priced accordingly and IMO a really good bang for the buck (cue explosion joke).

• Members

Bugeras had some issues in the beginning but it's been worked out.

My experience as I mentioned, was different. I wish you guys would stop saying that when you have nothing to base it on other than wishful thinking.

• Members

My experience as I mentioned, was different. I wish you guys would stop saying that when you have nothing to base it on other than wishful thinking.

:lol: and my 2+ year old Bugera! Original tubes, gets played for 5-6 hours a week, never an issue. I also have a combo that's about 6 months old... no issues... Seriously, if they were as bad as you say, they would be out of business. I do take my 6505+ to gigs just because I KNOW it's reliable but Bugeras aren't that bad. It's bandwagon, herd mentality hate. The store I bought mine from is 30 minutes from here, I know 2 guys that work there, it's their main amp line and they rarely ever have problems with the amps in house or the ones they've sold.

• Members

:lol:
and my 2+ year old Bugera! Original tubes, gets played for 5-6 hours a week, never an issue.

same here. had my bugera 6260 for more than two years. bought it new back then, never had any issues. got a second 6260 which I bought used with the power LED not working when I got it. Other than that no issues. have that one for almost a year now.

I think it's the same with bugera as it is with other brands. you might be lucky and have zero issues but you can also always get a bad one. I heard horror stories about Marshalls, Egnaters, and even Engls as well so even if you buy an amp manufactured by the big companies you are not safe.

• Members

Here in the Midwest, you aren't getting a XXX or 5150 for less than $500. At the very least. There is not a used gear market other than MusicGoRound and Guitar Center. Craigslist stuff that is actually good is few and far between beyond that. Ebay is a joke as well. It should be a buyer's market right now but for whatever reason it is not. Going Bugera is a crap shoot, but if the price is low enough, it's really a no brainer imo.

This too. When I was searching for a 5150, I came up completely dry on craigslist, local stores, etc... Ended up searching eBay for several months before I found one for $700, which was my top dollar.

• Members

I bought the V55HeaD on a whim because the main amp i had for years blew & need one right away & didn't have $1000 to blow at the time. I was shocked how good the clean channel sounded -even better with JJs. Using it for several months & really crank it at home & practice with a 4X12 and have had no issues. My favorite thing about it is the white chickenhead knobs that you don't have to squint at on stage for a quick change while you're playing -and you can do it with one finger. Sometimes I wonder since these is considered a 'beginners' amp that some people are just naively using them improperly -speaker cables/ohm settings etc. I wouldn't consider them rugged amps. They bias them at the factory a bit cold too.

I've been playing for over 30+yrs & have seen people bitch about every amp imaginable....

Archived