Really, how bad are Bugera amps?

Chrisjd

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To me they are just another amp choice to make. That said I've had two of them. One a V-22, The other a V-55 head.

The V-22 was probably one of the nicest sounding amps I've had in a while. Nothing wrong with that amp at all.

I had a client fall in live with that amp and I gave it to him. Been using it for two years with zero issue.

The V-55 head I had though it was reliable I didn't gel with the sound nearly as much as the V-22

so I traded it in with a pile of other tube amps I had sitting around for some other stuff.

I've got no problem with Bugera at all really. They seem to be fine amps. I'd probably consider getting one of those

1960 Infiniums if they weren't as rare as hens teeth.

• Members

Bugera are maybe the ONLY company I frown upon when it comes to clones, copies or remakes.

It's hard to even pinpoint why..

I don't mind guitars or amps made in cheap countries and I don't mind copies or clones. Guitar warehouse speakers for example.. or even Chinese knockoff tubescreamer OD pedals. Yet.. with Bugera..

*shrugs*

• Members

Still maxing out my Vintage55Head for 9 months now. Funny if it would blow up in flames on stage.... but it hasn't happened. Always get great compliment on the tone. Guess it's how you use it. And I've used plenty in over 30yrs of playing.

One power tube went Microphonic (probably from my 70's Earth shaking GK 4X12 cab), but thats it. Put in JJs and holy crap!

This was a transition 2nd amp till I could save more $$ but I've grown quite fond of it.

• Members

I'm not here to start another Bugera ripped off this or that thread...but a big selling point on Bugera seems to be a 3 year warranty. With the 5150 heads, I never had to worry about a warranty. Those amps are stellar in the reliability department...

I know this might start butthurt but I'm just stating my experience. An amp can break regardless of who made it or what it cost.

• Members

I'm not here to start another Bugera ripped off this or that thread...but a big selling point on Bugera seems to be a 3 year warranty. With the 5150 heads, I never had to worry about a warranty. Those amps are stellar in the reliability department...

I know this might start butthurt but I'm just stating my experience. An amp can break regardless of who made it or what it cost.

Any amp can break, but you need to consider how likely they are to do it. The warranty doesn't do a whole lot of good when you're standing on stage with smoke coming out of your amp. You also need to consider where the repair facilities are and what the turnaround time is.

• Members

Any amp can break, but you need to consider how likely they are to do it. The warranty doesn't do a whole lot of good when you're standing on stage with smoke coming out of your amp. You also need to consider where the repair facilities are and what the turnaround time is.

You are absolutely correct. That's why you have a backup(s).

If you're getting paid to play, maybe you make sure you bring the right tools for the job? :idk:

• Members

You are absolutely correct. That's why you have a backup(s).

If you're getting paid to play, maybe you make sure you bring the right tools for the job?
:idk:

I always do bring a backup, but I'd prefer not to have to use it on a regular basis.

• Members

My take on bugeras....they sound good, maybe they had reliability issues, but whatever. They are beginner priced amps for a beginner market. I wouldnt consider them professional quality, and Id have a hard time taking one out to shows without worrying about it failing. My Mako and Peaveys...I would (and have with the Mako) take them to shows without a backup and not even think twice about it. Bugeras are for kids and bedroom players that want to have good tube tone in their bedrooms. At least thats my take on it. Maybe theyll work out for gigging, maybe they wont, but thats up to the owners to put to the test. I might buy a bugera if I wanted like a mark IV but didnt wanna pay for a mark IV. Id buy it with the knowledge that it wont ever see a stage. Id use it for jamming at home, maybe with friends, probably recording. Ive owned tons of behringer stuff, and its all been as solid as anything else. {censored} is just cheap. If youre on a budget and dont intend to use it for professional purposes, then I dont see the problem...just go into it with proper expectations.

Also, I think we represent a very specific community. Most of the amps the people on this forum own are professional level equipment, and as such, we look at things through eyes of a professional musician, when in reality the majority of us are not professional musicians. If you play a show once or twice a month, why do you need professional grade gear that is built and designed with the intention of standing up to years and years of constant touring, gigging, loud volume playing, and not being handled in the most delicate of manners? Answer: you dont. But we are a niche community of bedroom players and amateur musicians that desire and can afford professional grade equipment, for the most part. Thats not what the majority of the world is.

• Members

Also, I think we represent a very specific community. Most of the amps the people on this forum own are professional level equipment, and as such, we look at things through eyes of a professional musician, when in reality the majority of us are not professional musicians. If you play a show once or twice a month, why do you need professional grade gear that is built and designed with the intention of standing up to years and years of constant touring, gigging, loud volume playing, and not being handled in the most delicate of manners? Answer: you dont. But we are a niche community of bedroom players and amateur musicians that desire and can afford professional grade equipment, for the most part. Thats not what the majority of the world is.

*slow clap*

• Members

My take on bugeras....they sound good, maybe they had reliability issues, but whatever. They are beginner priced amps for a beginner market. I wouldnt consider them professional quality, and Id have a hard time taking one out to shows without worrying about it failing. My Mako and Peaveys...I would (and have with the Mako) take them to shows without a backup and not even think twice about it. Bugeras are for kids and bedroom players that want to have good tube tone in their bedrooms. At least thats my take on it. Maybe theyll work out for gigging, maybe they wont, but thats up to the owners to put to the test. I might buy a bugera if I wanted like a mark IV but didnt wanna pay for a mark IV. Id buy it with the knowledge that it wont ever see a stage. Id use it for jamming at home, maybe with friends, probably recording. Ive owned tons of behringer stuff, and its all been as solid as anything else. {censored} is just cheap. If youre on a budget and dont intend to use it for professional purposes, then I dont see the problem...just go into it with proper expectations.

That's all well and good, but the thread asks how bad they are. The two I tried died in less than a week and that was with very light use around the house. I don't think anybody expects that they're built for the touring pro, but they shouldn't go up in smoke in a few days of bedroom use either.

• Members

That's all well and good, but the thread asks how bad they are. The two I tried died in less than a week and that was with very light use around the house. I don't think anybody expects that they're built for the touring pro, but they shouldn't go up in smoke in a few days of bedroom use either.

Im not negating any ones experience with them, and those experience lead me to the conclusion that Ill never buy one with the thought of using it on a tour in mind. You relayed your experience, and theres a lot of validity in that experience because its first hand. Im definitely not trying to say they are amazing amps, because they arent. Ive never owned one, so I cant really answer how bad are they really, just giving my take, in general, on bugeras. And I definitely agree that no product should go up in smoke in a few days.

• Members

I agree 100%. Buy a better product in the first place and don't sweat it..even if it is used. I've had to spend money on getting subpar (at best) gear fixed. Live and learn!

Archived