Really, how bad are Bugera amps?

Chrisjd

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They are really good sounding amps that had some quality control issues when they first came out. Many say these issues have been resolved but they are still the red headed step child on HC.

• Members

The Bugeras that I've tried have sounded great. They had some pretty serious issues with their initial production run (fire hazard, etc) and there have been some subsequent reports of premature failures since, but it seems like if you get a good one, they're pretty decent.

Of course, whether or not you get a good one is still a bit of a gamble. My bass player has a 1960 (SuperLead clone), and it sounds great and takes a beating. Others have not been as lucky.

• Members

I have the 6262. I run a 10 band in the loop. It sounds great. I am ALWAYS skeptical when I take it out gigging but I do so almost in defiance of the general perception musicians have about Bugera. You know, grab the fire extinguisher.

• Members

...and in regards to the 333xl, my other guitarist had one. It sounded good through the crap Bugera cab, so I can imagine it would sound 1,000x better through some decent speakers. I would say go for it if the price is right.

• Members

The clips I hear always sound good. (Well, except a few, but that's usually the poster's fault.) My dislike for them comes mostly from their marketing. However, if you are buying used, they get no more money than they already had, I can't argue with that!

I'd like to give one a shot but my GC apparently has decided to carry NOTHING but fast moving POS modelers, low end marshall SS amps, low end Fenders and Peavey 6505s sitting on Raven cabs. :freak:

• Members

i think they have worked out some of the hotter issues. :cop:

seriously though, i repaired one that smoked out. it was just the connector from the PT to the board for the heaters. too much current for that connector, i believe.

they use surface mount components on those things, so as long as none of those fail it should be alright. i think the biggest thing that would bug me about having one is that if they did have a serious issue, it could easily cost more to fix than the amp is worth. if you look at them as being "disposable", it makes more sense.

considering that you can buy the peavey (that they copied) used for a little bit more, i don't think they're worth buying. :idk:

• Members

i think they have worked out some of the hotter issues.
:cop:

seriously though, i repaired one that smoked out. it was just the connector from the PT to the board for the heaters. too much current for that connector, i believe.

they use surface mount components on those things, so as long as none of those fail it should be alright. i think the biggest thing that would bug me about having one is that if they did have a serious issue, it could easily cost more to fix than the amp is worth. if you look at them as being "disposable", it makes more sense.

considering that you can buy the peavey (that they copied) used for a little bit more, i don't think they're worth buying.
:idk:

Some of the newer boards were done with heavy duty spade connectors instead of that cheap {censored} Molex (but not actual Molex) pins they were using previously. They also look to be hand soldered instead of dipped.

• Members

I was about to say they look tacky as {censored}, but then I realized that the only ones that really do are the ones that are clones of tacky-looking amps. :idk:

I get that some people object to them on ethical grounds, and I can understand where they're coming from even if I don't agree. I'd buy one if it filled a need and the price was right. I'd love to find a BC-30 cheap and saw it down to a head.

• Members

I see a reasonable price on one locally. a 333XL. Are these amps still ticking time bombs or have they actually been improved?

it's like comparing store/generic brand with major brand groceries.

some people like franco american, some people like chef boyardee.

they both do the same job, only with a slightly different flavor.

• Members

i think they have worked out some of the hotter issues.
:cop:

considering that you can buy the peavey (that they copied) used for a little bit more, i don't think they're worth buying.
:idk:

+1 I see Triple XXX for sale for $350-400 all the time on CL. It doesn't make sense to buy the Bugera copy.

• Members

I had two. The V55 HD went up in a puff of smoke after 4 days, and the V22 combo died in 6. The combo was about 6 months ago, so I'm not convinced all the kinks are worked out. They did sound good though.

Archived