We have cancelled our Cable subscription eeek

Lucius

• Members

I killed the cable about 4 months ago. I opened a bill for $130 (basic cable and internet), thought about the fact that I hadn't watched even 5 minutes of cable in 3 months, and said "{censored} this." I have Netflex, Youtube and Hulu via my Xbox 360 piped through a beautiful 52" plasma, and I have to say I'm completely happy. My bill is now $52 (internet only), and the cost of Netflix is almost nothing since I split an account with my brother.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by OverDriven

View Post

I killed the cable about 4 months ago. I opened a bill for $130 (basic cable and internet), thought about the fact that I hadn't watched even 5 minutes of cable in 3 months, and said "{censored} this." I have Netflex, Youtube and Hulu via my Xbox 360 piped through a beautiful 52" plasma, and I have to say I'm completely happy. My bill is now $52 (internet only), and the cost of Netflix is almost nothing since I split an account with my brother.

That's basically the way to do it. I just use Netflix on my PS3 and then download the few shows I like from Icefilms or torrents and stream them to my PS3 from my PC using TVersity. For sports I just fire up JustinTV in the PS3's web browser and watch that way. It all works perfectly and other than the sports streams, I never have to watch or skip through any commercials smile.gif

• Members

This is why cable companies would like to put a cap on your bandwidth if you use them as a cable and internet provider. Lots of people are dropping the cable service and using streaming entertainment instead and it's cutting into their business.

• Members

I've been contemplating kicking cable to the curb for a little over a year now. I was going to cancel it in May of last year, but I lost my job then and figured I needed something to keep me occupied while sitting around the house all day facepalm.gif After 6 months of unemployment, I began to hate television. Not because of the shows, but because of all the damn recycled commercials! I'm sorry Montel, I do not want a pay-day loan! No Sarah, I will not let you guilt trip me about stray pets! No Been Verified, I do not want to hear your smug pregnant spokeswomen talk about back ground checks! And for the last time, I don't want any Flex-Seal!!!!!!!! screen.gifmad.gifhorse.gif

Now that I have a steady job, a new band, and more income to go out a do things, I usually only watch TV about an hour a day at the most. I just need to cut cable out, get something to stream Netflix in the bedroom (already have it on my blu-ray player in the living room), and be done. That extra $60 a month would be nice as well.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by scratchie

View Post

{censored} cable

Netflix & a VPN to fool the country restrictions is alot cheaper and provides me with I want to watch.

What do you use for an IP masker? There is a site in the states for $5 a month that i've been looking into. Cheers, Lucius

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brady

View Post

This is why cable companies would like to put a cap on your bandwidth if you use them as a cable and internet provider. Lots of people are dropping the cable service and using streaming entertainment instead and it's cutting into their business.

I know, I felt like we went back to 1995 when I heard about this. I wonder how much it will actually affect folks, though. I think they were talking about 80gb a month, and that's really a good bit if you think about it. Still, especially if you've got a family with kids, you could easily go over that cap even if you're paying for cable. I feel they should find a better way to adjust to the changing times.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brady

View Post

I know, I felt like we went back to 1995 when I heard about this. I wonder how much it will actually affect folks, though. I think they were talking about 80gb a month, and that's really a good bit if you think about it. Still, especially if you've got a family with kids, you could easily go over that cap even if you're paying for cable. I feel they should find a better way to adjust to the changing times.

• Members

My 2 years with Directv is up in Oct...I only have it for Premier Soccer and MMA...And you have to have a certain tier to get a sports package...Then you have to order the sports package. Then you have to order Fox Soccer Plus. Plus HD...Plus showtime for MMA...

It's $130 a god damn month!!!! Directv/Murdoch knows how to make you pay through the ass for everything you love.

I can't give it up though. Directv/Fox does have amazing programming/cameras/production/image quality etc. I have a home theater with a 90 inch HD projector and it looks friken amazing. So I do get my moneys worth. Grudgingly. cry.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Thurston

View Post

Tell me a bit about Justin TV? Can you actually watch live sports? What is the quality like?

Yes, you can watch live sports. Most of the sports are kept on the down low though because they get shut down if discovered. The one I use for hockey actually has a password to get in. As far as quality, it depends on the streamer. It ranges from HD to really {censored}ty icon_lol.gif. Even the HD ones aren't quite TV broadcast quality, but it's still pretty good, and for free, I can't complain.

• Members

I still have it, well Direct TV @ my place, so that I have sports to watch while doing cardio. Yes when I'm groaning through high resistance intervals, any sporting event helps.

Right now it is the US Open or NFL Channel. Before that it was the Tennis Channel and the Olympics. Before that the NHL playoffs and the Tennis Channel. Anything physical competition that I can pick sides on helps me take my mind off what I have left to do and I actually work harder the more involved I am with the event.

Outside of that time (no more than 2.5 hours), I only watch Netflix.

Derek

• Members

I'd have a very hard time going without NFL Sunday Ticket on Directv. The thing that sucks is I only watch a couple other channels (my guilty pleasure channels: Food Network and Cooking Channel, I don't think there is a replacement viewing option for them but I could be wrong). I really don't watch much else. When I can get a live, HD replacement for Sunday Ticket then cutting Directv would certainly be an option.

• Members

I haven't had cable in three years. If I want to watch something, I have a Netflix account. Until last spring, I didn't even own a television, but came across a deal for a 32" flatscreen that I actually used as a computer monitor for awhile. Television is for schmucks.

• Members

Not sure how I feel about not having cable but we'll give it a try. The boys basically just watch the netflix on the rare occassion they do watch. Guess we'll have to try getting and US IP to get the US netflix (I hear it is better the the Canadian version). Anyone else cable free? Cheers, Lucius

If you get the US version, one thing I like is the availability of a bunch of TV series, including those I've heard of or seen some shows of before and those I've never heard of, which sometimes end up being favorites.

• Members

I'd have a very hard time going without NFL Sunday Ticket on Directv. The thing that sucks is I only watch a couple other channels (my guilty pleasure channels: Food Network and Cooking Channel, I don't think there is a replacement viewing option for them but I could be wrong). I really don't watch much else. When I can get a live, HD replacement for Sunday Ticket then cutting Directv would certainly be an option.

I thought I'd have a difficult time not watching my favorite NFL team play, but then again I stopped watching even when I had satellite because the games more than occasionally caused more grief to watch than joy. :D

• Members
That's basically the way to do it. I just use Netflix on my PS3 and then download the few shows I like from Icefilms or torrents and stream them to my PS3 from my PC using TVersity. For sports I just fire up JustinTV in the PS3's web browser and watch that way. It all works perfectly and other than the sports streams, I never have to watch or skip through any commercials
:)

So you just steal as you've mentioned before. You're not saving money, you're stealing. I know you don't care so spare me your dip{censored} response.

Archived