We have cancelled our Cable subscription eeek

Lucius

• Members

I'd have a very hard time going without NFL Sunday Ticket on Directv. The thing that sucks is I only watch a couple other channels (my guilty pleasure channels: Food Network and Cooking Channel, I don't think there is a replacement viewing option for them but I could be wrong). I really don't watch much else. When I can get a live, HD replacement for Sunday Ticket then cutting Directv would certainly be an option.

You can order the Direct TV Sunday Ticket for $199 through the playstation 3 :thu:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I thought I'd have a difficult time not watching my favorite NFL team play, but then again I stopped watching even when I had satellite because the games more than occasionally caused more grief to watch than joy.
:D

I absolutely know that feeling -- I'm Dolphins fan. Oddly, Sunday Ticket has helped in that regard because I just surf to a more interesting game. I originally signed up for Sunday Ticket when the Jacksonville entered the league because the local AFC station has to cover them instead of the Dolphins. Now I pretty much use it as a diversion from the Dolphins' weekly disasters.

• Members

If I could find SAMCRO, Breaking Bad, MadMen and Walking Dead over the net somewhere, I'd absolutely kill by DirecTV subscription!

Those are the only shows I really give a {censored} about these days. FOX Sports also has the local sports that I watch too...but I could watch just about any game on FirstRowSports.com

• Members

{censored} the man. Pay that bastard ISP minimal $ for the internets and then minimal $ for movie/tv services. Enjoy it all while you can because the big ol' ISPs are lobbying the gov hard to keep their dick up your ass.

Free market capitalism FTML, bitch!

• Members

I quit a few years ago because I didn't want to give another cent to MTV and all the garbage TV networks they force you to pay.
Don't miss it at all. Use my rabbit ears & waste time on the net.
People have rallied to stop cable from bundling bull{censored} you don't want to watch, but it seems like a lost cause.
RISE UP PEOPLE!!!

• Members

Netflix in Canada is a joke. I mean, a complete farce, is what it is. When you log in for the first time and brows around your reaction, without exception, is "Uh, where is everything?" Well, there isn't anything else there. That's Canada for you. Absolutely any time there is the same product as the US but in the Canada version that Canada version is a barren shell of the USA version. That goes for everything.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

So its been a month and a half and we actually haven't missed anything. We can stream our favorite shows online like the day after they air (ie: amazing race, how I met your mother, walking dead). I find I haven't been such a couch potato as well. Not bad at all. cheers, Lucius

edit: Oh my friend had like 900+ movies on his hdd that he let me copy so we are set for awhile

• Members

Local sports and the missus usually stop me from giving it up. Other than sports, I don't watch ANYTHING on TV that I would miss, or couldn't get from the networks' own websites, netflix, or hulu plus.

The missus watches all kinds of dumb {censored} that she apparently can't live without, so . . . :cry:

• Members
Local sports and the missus usually stop me from giving it up. Other than sports, I don't watch ANYTHING on TV that I would miss, or couldn't get from the networks' own websites, netflix, or hulu plus.

The missus watches all kinds of dumb {censored} that she apparently can't live without, so . . .
:cry:

I'm in the same boat. If it weren't for the wife and kids thinking they need their pointless shows I'd be saving another $80 a month. Oh well...still saving about $100/month over cable with DirecTV. :)

• Members

Haven't had cable for about 7 years (well I technically had basic cable at my last rental place but didn't have the cable box to actually watch it).

Private tracker and/or Icefilms for me. Shows are usually up within an hour after they air, with no commercials I might add. For sports I either walk over to the bar (1/2 a block) or don't bother and catch highlights later. With no hockey this year (most likely) it's not a big deal. Almost no TV networks broadcast online here, and US networks are blocked so that's not an option. TSN and CTV do, but they use that stupid antiquated Silverlight plugin :facepalm:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I finally dropped cable almost 2 months ago. I don't really miss anything, except for football, but I rarely watch that at home, anyway. I usually watch the game at a buddy's house or the local pub.

I've been much less of a couch-potato without cable. I have to put a bit more thought in finding something to watch on Netflix, so I only watch when I really want to, not just because it's there.

Of course, I'm way behind on new shows, but I've never really scheduled my life around TV shows anyhow. Usually I'm so behind, I forget spoilers my friends told me when I finally get to the episode in question :lol: So I really don't mind being behind.

• Members

I cancelled Cable me too but i have to subscribe again for my kids.. All the stuff i'm listening too, i'm listening through internet.. I rarely open the TV.. Maybe to watch some Hockey game here and there that's it.. Today, its a waste of money if you have internet and know where to look to find your favorite tv show

• Members
I cancelled my cable 2 1/2 years ago but they forgot to actually turn it off.
:lol:

2 years and counting here too. I figure it's because we have our internet service from them as well. They'd have to actually send someone out to put a filter on our line or something.
If I ever have to call for service on the modem or anything I figure they'll probably shut it off then.

• Members

To be fair, I don't think you can really say you dumped cable, when you stream all your shows on broadband to make up for it....I mean let's be realistic..

I dumped broadband about 6 mos ago...currently have the most basic of cable so my wife gets channels from her homeland. I watch DVDs and Big Bang Theory.

DVDs are starting to go bye bye...and I am just about ready to go get a gym membership and do what I did when I didn't have cable, internet, email, forums, and all that other media bull{censored}....get out of the house...

• Members

Not sure how I feel about not having cable but we'll give it a try. The boys basically just watch the netflix on the rare occassion they do watch. Guess we'll have to try getting and US IP to get the US netflix (I hear it is better the the Canadian version). Anyone else cable free? Cheers, Lucius

Lucius, you picked a perfect time to cut cable TV. I cut the cord since 2003 and since then, you now have more online streaming options. Back in the day, it was DVD'S, music, books, or video games. Now you have the ability to pick and choose.

You'll live and be fine. You'll eventually find the time for the gaps you lost to {censored}ty programming and be more productive.

Archived