DiMarzio 36th PAFs

guitarbilly74

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

yeah this is going in a SG so I definitely need a fat tone.

I tried the BurstBucker Pro that brolando gave me (so it's a Burstbucker BRO
:lol:
) and it was way too twangy. I gave it to a friend and he installed in his LP and liked it, so I guess these pickups are more for LPs than SGs.

Looks like the Super D is going back in. I really can't say I am unhappy with the Super D tone, I just need a bit extra presence but I can just adjust that on the amp, I guess.

If a burstbucker was too twangy for you then you need to steer clear of the Dimarzio Anniversaries for sure.

I have a pair in my Les Paul and I really like them in the neck & middle postion, but in the bridge you're in HEEHAW country.

I would think SD Alnico II pros are what you are looking for.

• Members

I was thinkin of going with this pickup in the bridge for my Guild S-100, but I've heard a lot of mixed reviews. Plus a friend of my who owns a guitar shop who's opinion I value a lot says they're just OK.

The two I'm considering are the SD 59/Custom Hybrid, SD 59 or Gibson 57 Classic plus.

• Members

I have a Dean Michael Schenker Lights Out bridge humbucker in my LP Custom and it has a great balance of fat bottom and midrange with the right amount of presence for articulate soloing. The pickup has quite a bit of gain, more so than a Duncan JB and cleans up nicely when rolling down the volume. I also have a Gibson Melody Maker SG and the stock Gibson 491T pickup is fat and wicked sounding in that guitar. The Gibson 500T or Dirty Fingers pickups are alternates to the Dimarzio SD. I have an old SD in a partscaster and love that pickup too!

• Members

I would think SD Alnico II pros are what you are looking for.

seconded. massive sounding with big chunk, and still sounds fat with the volume rolled back. no twang to speak of. 57 classics could work too--they're a little brighter, but similar in some ways-- just a little drier if you need more gain with less bounce on the bottom.

• Members

I was thinkin of going with this pickup in the bridge for my Guild S-100, but I've heard a lot of mixed reviews. Plus a friend of my who owns a guitar shop who's opinion I value a lot says they're just OK.

The two I'm considering are the SD 59/Custom Hybrid, SD 59 or Gibson 57 Classic plus.

You have a Guild S-100? I hate my life! FFFFFUUUUUUUU :cry:

:lol:

But yeah, either the Duncan Custom (and replacing the c5 magnet with a c8) or that new '59/Custom Hybrid will be great choices too! :thu:

• Members

seconded. massive sounding with big chunk, and still sounds fat with the volume rolled back. no twang to speak of. 57 classics could work too--they're a little brighter, but similar in some ways-- just a little drier if you need more gain with less bounce on the bottom.

As usual I completely agree. :thu:

• Members

...............and it was way too twangy..............Looks like the Super D is going back in. I really can't say I am unhappy with the Super D tone, I just need a bit extra presence but I can just adjust that on the amp, I guess.

less output

less twangy

more presence?

maybe lower the SD overall - but lower the bass side a bit more?

those have adjustable pole pieces too, right?

maybe tweak those a bit to tame the twang, but keep the presence?

• Members

Yeah, the aIIpro has been my favorite bridge pickup for quite some time. I wish DiMarzio had an exact copy...putting a 36 anni in the neck and then an SD aII in the bridge will make my anal retentive personality flare up like whoa.

• Members

I havent considered the L90s, but I remember loving the L-500, so yeah that's a possibility.

I am back with the Super Distortion for now. Last Friday I had a gig and for the first half I used my SG Special with the Duncan Distortion and for the second half I used the SG-X with the Super D. The SG-X sounded much better. So I put the other Super D back on my Special last night and the 2 guitars sound nearly the same now. I can't say I am unhappy with the tone, I like it a lot actually, so I might just stick with the Super Ds after all.

• Members

less output

less twangy

more presence?

maybe lower the SD overall - but lower the bass side a bit more?

those have adjustable pole pieces too, right?

maybe tweak those a bit to tame the twang, but keep the presence?

yeah I will try different adjustments this week. I am pretty sure I can make it work. The Super D is very close to be exactly what I want, I think some minor tweaks will do the trick

• Members

Goddammit, this forum is pissing me the {censored} off. Hey assholes, get off your punk asses and fix this goddamned piece of {censored}. {censored}.

Billy. Stop {censored}ing around and order a goddamned Breed. Seriously. I dont understand why you keep putting it off :lol:.

• Members

If you don't mind waiting a month or so, check out the BG Hellabucker. USA handmade pickup for about the same price as a Dimarzio, and it {censored}ing kills.

It's pretty damned hot, with huge, thick bottom end and smooth but present highs.

Suffice to say I've tried a LOT of pickups and finally settled on the BG. For hard rock and metal nothing works better for me. Happens to sound great split, too.

• Members

I have some in an older PRS CE24........it's a bolt on.....maple neck......and they are not the best match for that guitar. Doesn't sound terrible, but they have a crunchy upper mid to them that make them a bit too bright and brittle for this style of guitar.

I could see them being amazing in a Les Paul.

• Members

If you don't mind waiting a month or so, check out the BG Hellabucker. USA handmade pickup for about the same price as a Dimarzio, and it {censored}ing kills.

It's pretty damned hot, with huge, thick bottom end and smooth but present highs.

Suffice to say I've tried a LOT of pickups and finally settled on the BG. For hard rock and metal nothing works better for me. Happens to sound great split, too.

They are pretty great, but I know Billy, and hes not going to wait the current 8 week lead time for a pickup. I think the dimarzio breed and dominion are both better than the BG, as well...at least for me.

• Members

The wait times are a bit silly but if you have something currently that's "good enough" it could be worth ordering one.

I've owned the Breed before and it's pretty great; haven't tried the Dominion. The thing about the Hellabucker that I love, and haven't found in any other pickup, is just how huge it sounds. Pretty much perfect if you are the only guitarist in a band; it just fills up so much space. EMG 85 comes close but can't match the clarity of the Hella IMO

• Members

The wait times are a bit silly but if you have something currently that's "good enough" it could be worth ordering one.

I've owned the Breed before and it's pretty great; haven't tried the Dominion. The thing about the Hellabucker that I love, and haven't found in any other pickup, is just how huge it sounds. Pretty much perfect if you are the only guitarist in a band; it just fills up so much space. EMG 85 comes close but can't match the clarity of the Hella IMO

I found the Breed to be just as thick with more clarity than the BG. The dominion is a lot tighter and clearer...more like a clearer version of an EMG 81.

• Members
How are they for high gain rock (not metal, think AIC etc...). I've been thinking of trying a set in my SG.

Most of the clips I see on YT are either blues or low gain rock....
:cry:

Billy, I play a Moore/Shon...blah, blah, blah style. Was looking for some new pickups for my Ibanez Artist and my buddy the gearhead raved about the 36th's with the claim that high output does not equal tone. We discussed and I ended up getting the Air Classic for the Neck position and Air Zone for the Bridge. The neck is where I do most of my tone variations and the Air Classic is wonderful. I usually just play the bridge full out so I can't really give a solid yea/nay on the Air Zone, although I do like it.

• Members

They are pretty great, but I know Billy, and hes not going to wait the current 8 week lead time for a pickup. I think the dimarzio breed and dominion are both better than the BG, as well...at least for me.

yeah no 8 weeks wait time for me :lol: I already have a hard time ordering stuff online and waiting 5 days to get it :lol:

Archived