DiMarzio 36th PAFs

guitarbilly74

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Funny enough, I have 300k pots in my LP which is probably why the JB is working out so well. Maybe that's why the 36th bridge was too twangy. Oh well, it was also double {censored}ing ace Frehley cream which was no {censored}in bueno!
Mine has 500k pots and the bridge still has twang...

I don't really mind it idn_smilie.gif

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by soundgardener75 View Post
You have a Guild S-100? I hate my life! FFFFFUUUUUUUU cry.gif

icon_lol.gif

But yeah, either the Duncan Custom (and replacing the c5 magnet with a c8) or that new '59/Custom Hybrid will be great choices too! thumb.gif
Yup -- it's 90's RI (a '99 I believe) -- 59 in the neck, JB in the bridge. I really like the 59 in the neck but have always wanted to swap out the JB. Another 59 would be cool, I just need a 4-conductor wire model,...kinda hard to find. I just want something lower output, sweeter.

S-100.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by soundgardener75

View Post

Well, that didn't work on my basswood LFR'd Washburn. That TZ that Billy gave me, from marshallnoise originally, sounded far better in one of my Epi G400s. That particular one is my Alice in Chains guitar. Totally_jammin_out.gif

My G400 is surprisingly bright.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Hotcakes

View Post

My G400 is surprisingly bright.

At least some of them are definitely NOT made out of mahogany....my buddy phrophus here on the forums sanded his old black G400 down and the wood is some kinda yellow {censored} - looks more like alder or basswood - definitely not mahogany.....which is funny because I'm pretty sure they were advertised as being made of mahogany. It has a maple neck, too.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Mine has 500k pots and the bridge still has twang...

I don't really mind it idn_smilie.gif
I liked it as well but my band was playing hard rock and I wanted the same kinda tone Billy described thumb.gif

They're good pickups in the proper application, so I hope I didn't make it sound like they're bad in any way. smile.gif

• Members

I say get an Evolution and be done with it. It is a high output pickup, but it cleans up nice too when you roll the volume back. Also, it is very unforgiving of bad technique.

Yeah. I have been wanting to try the Evolution for years. It does sound like it would be a great pickup for what I want and I have had a lot of luck with Vai sig gear, maybe I will try this one next.

• Members

Yup -- it's 90's RI (a '99 I believe) -- 59 in the neck, JB in the bridge. I really like the 59 in the neck but have always wanted to swap out the JB. Another 59 would be cool, I just need a 4-conductor wire model,...kinda hard to find. I just want something lower output, sweeter.

S-100.jpg

That is one hawt S-100 broski!

You can just change the JB's A5 magnet with an A2 magnet. :thu:

• Members

Yeah. I have been wanting to try the Evolution for years. It does sound like it would be a great pickup for what I want and I have had a lot of luck with Vai sig gear, maybe I will try this one next.

Honestly, I think the Breed would be great for what you seem to be looking for. It's super thick in the mids with a pretty solid bass response. The highs are slightly subdued but still present enough to give you a good amount of detail and clarity. It's a bit hotter than your average medium output pickup, but still by far the lowest output of the pickups on Dimarzio's high output section of the website. I have never tried the Evolution, but the Breed is a Vai pickup as well.

• Members

Actually, looking at the DiMarzio tone charts, the Evo2 looks even closer to what I want.

Comparing it to the Super Distortion I have now, it has a bit less output, same amount of mids, a little less bass and a little more highs. This actually looks VERY promising.

Luckily, there's lots of Evos on sale on the OC craigslist, there should be some there too in LA! :thu:

Archived