DiMarzio 36th PAFs

guitarbilly74

• Members

The wait times are a bit silly but if you have something currently that's "good enough" it could be worth ordering one.

I've owned the Breed before and it's pretty great; haven't tried the Dominion. The thing about the Hellabucker that I love, and haven't found in any other pickup, is just how huge it sounds. Pretty much perfect if you are the only guitarist in a band; it just fills up so much space. EMG 85 comes close but can't match the clarity of the Hella IMO

That sounds great, I will keep my eyes on the classifieds and I will snag an used one if it shows up.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Goddammit, this forum is pissing me the {censored} off. Hey assholes, get off your punk asses and fix this goddamned piece of {censored}. {censored}.

Billy. Stop {censored}ing around and order a goddamned Breed. Seriously. I dont understand why you keep putting it off
:lol:

want to trade your Breed for a like new Duncan distortion? :D

• Members

Billy, I play a Moore/Shon...blah, blah, blah style. Was looking for some new pickups for my Ibanez Artist and my buddy the gearhead raved about the 36th's with the claim that high output does not equal tone. We discussed and I ended up getting the Air Classic for the Neck position and Air Zone for the Bridge. The neck is where I do most of my tone variations and the Air Classic is wonderful. I usually just play the bridge full out so I can't really give a solid yea/nay on the Air Zone, although I do like it.

I never tried the Air Zone but the original Tone Zone didn't work too well for me. I would need to see if I know anyone local that is using one so I could try it. I will ask around.

• Members

I never tried the Air Zone but the original Tone Zone didn't work too well for me. I would need to see if I know anyone local that is using one so I could try it. I will ask around.

My friend specifically pointed me away from the Tone Zone saying that the higher output hid some of the complexity in the pick attack. Again for me I rarely do subtle things on the bridge pickup so who knows.

• Members

Hey Billy, didn't read the entire thread just the first page and this page. So I don't know if you made a decision yet.

Anyway, your SD in the bridge position would be an excellent choice. For a neck pup the 36th would be a good choice for tone and picking dynamics. It's a tad heavy on the mids but that's part of gaining those picking dynamics.

If dynamics are not what your looking for a Duncan JB would be a good choice for full, clear tones for those mellower or richer toned tunes. Of course a DiMarzio PAF would serve well for that too. If you want a little more high end clarity in the neck pup a DiMarzio PAF Pro will deliver.

Whatever models you choose a paf'ish neck and a SD bridge is always a classic combination for classic rock/ hard rock tones.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaRaf

View Post

Ill keep you posted. You should just order one from sweetwater or ebay or something, though. I got mine off ebay for 41 dollars.

I would but no one wants to buy my {censored} icon_lol.gif I have the $ for it, but it's getting to a point where some {censored} will have to go before I buy new {censored} icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by twangr

View Post

Hey Billy, didn't read the entire thread just the first page and this page. So I don't know if you made a decision yet.

Anyway, your SD in the bridge position would be an excellent choice. For a neck pup the 36th would be a good choice for tone and picking dynamics. It's a tad heavy on the mids but that's part of gaining those picking dynamics.

If dynamics are not what your looking for a Duncan JB would be a good choice for full, clear tones for those mellower or richer toned tunes. Of course a DiMarzio PAF would serve well for that too. If you want a little more high end clarity in the neck pup a DiMarzio PAF Pro will deliver.

Whatever models you choose a paf'ish neck and a SD bridge is always a classic combination for classic rock/ hard rock tones.

I had a few bad experiences with the JB. The only time I liked it was on my old Les Paul Std with the 300k pots. It sounded pretty good there. But on other guitars I did not like it much.

I am pretty happy with the SD to be honest and I will probably stick with it for now, once I get some of my pups sold or traded I will try some new stuff.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

View Post

I would but no one wants to buy my {censored} icon_lol.gif I have the $ for it, but it's getting to a point where some {censored} will have to go before I buy new {censored} icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gif

If you have the money, then {censored} it...just get it...its 40 bucks lol.

Also, did you get the amplug yet?

• Members

View Post

icon_lol.gif

If you have the money, then {censored} it...just get it...its 40 bucks lol.

Also, did you get the amplug yet?

I got that Joyo amplug. It sounded pretty good when I used it. But I don't know where it's at now icon_lol.gif it's somewhere in my gear room though icon_lol.gif

• Members

View Post

I had a few bad experiences with the JB. The only time I liked it was on my old Les Paul Std with the 300k pots. It sounded pretty good there. But on other guitars I did not like it much.

I am pretty happy with the SD to be honest and I will probably stick with it for now, once I get some of my pups sold or traded I will try some new stuff.

Funny enough, I have 300k pots in my LP which is probably why the JB is working out so well. Maybe that's why the 36th bridge was too twangy. Oh well, it was also double {censored}ing ace Frehley cream which was no {censored}in bueno!

• Members

View Post

Funny enough, I have 300k pots in my LP which is probably why the JB is working out so well. Maybe that's why the 36th bridge was too twangy. Oh well, it was also double {censored}ing ace Frehley cream which was no {censored}in bueno!

• Members

View Post

I got that Joyo amplug. It sounded pretty good when I used it. But I don't know where it's at now icon_lol.gif it's somewhere in my gear room though icon_lol.gif

I remember you got that one, but I though you said it sounded like butthole icon_lol.gif

• Members

View Post

I remember you got that one, but I though you said it sounded like butthole icon_lol.gif

no I got the hang of it, I just need to keep the volume kinda low and it sounds decent. But I really have no use for it, I just crank my amp to 5 in my house when I want to jam icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby

View Post

rofl!!

And yeah, the JB needs 300ks for sure. I guess I could put the 300k pots back into my SG if I got a JB but that's too much {censored}ing trouble icon_lol.gif

I am not sure how it would sound in a SG though, it might not be fat enough. I always think of the JB as a pickup for LPs only.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Hotcakes

View Post

Tone Zone was meant to make Basswood guitars with floyds sound more like an LP, IMO.

Well, that didn't work on my basswood LFR'd Washburn. That TZ that Billy gave me, from marshallnoise originally, sounded far better in one of my Epi G400s. That particular one is my Alice in Chains guitar. Totally_jammin_out.gif

Archived