DiMarzio 36th PAFs

guitarbilly74

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My take is that while they're nice and clear and they clean up well with picking dynamics and volume rolls, what they lack to me is the fat, warm woody thing that a really good PAF style pup has going on. I swapped my 36th pups out for a set of BKP mules which granted, cost more but the difference was quite pronounced. The mules were even more dynamic and had this really woody, fat, awesome warm vibe going on. The Dimarzio's were just thinner sounding IMO.

I think the Air Classic is more like the Mules but if you want a really killer low output pup that doesn't break the bank snag a set of Dimarzio Bluesbuckers. They sound F-ing killer.

• Members

I like some serious fat in my humbucker tone. I am currently using the SD Distortion and I still think THAT pickup is a bit too twangy icon_lol.gif

I probably will just end up going back to the Super Distortion I still have. I was comparing my SG-X (with the DM Super D) to my Special (with the SD Dist) last night and I thought the Super D sounded much better. Might as well just go back to it. If I didn't have a gig, I'd probably do it tonight.

For the neck, I guess the stock Gibson is fine, I don't care all that much about neck pickups to be honest.

• Members

Once I get my Epi Goth LP's wiring fixed, I'll post it. It's my C# guitar, and it sounds GLORIOUS! I originally had the HFH and Tone Zone for it, but this Eric Johnson neck and 36th Anni bridge is perfect for Cornholio. thumb.gif

And I don't hear the twang at all, I'll post clips soon and let me know if it does.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by madryan

View Post

BKP Holy Diver dude. It's the definition of fat...

I will look into it, but with the price of BKP pickups, it's a last resort. I think there are tons of good pickups at the DM/SD level, it's just a matter of finding the one that will work for what I want. The Super D is really close. I guess a Super D with a bit less output and a bit more articulation is what I am looking for.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

View Post

I will look into it, but with the price of BKP pickups, it's a last resort. I think there are tons of good pickups at the DM/SD level, it's just a matter of finding the one that will work for what I want. The Super D is really close. I guess a Super D with a bit less output and a bit more articulation is what I am looking for.

That's exactly what the Holy Diver is.

• Members

Yeah, i disagree with the twangy comment.. I didn't find it to be that at all.. But it's also not big and fat.. I personally thought the Gibson Burstbuckers were better and had a chunkier low end, which is what I prefer.

I also kinda disagree with the neck 36th being some kinds of awesome. I have one in my Les Paul now and it's really kind of bland sounding. I was definitely let down..

Overall the bridge is good, but doesn't feel like other paf style pickups that I've tried.. It feels pretty modern sounding to me, even if they are supposedly patterned after Larry Dimarzio's own 59 Les Paul..

• Members

It wasn't twangy like my telecaster but it had an almost twang to it in my Les Paul. Rolling the guitar volume back got twangy for sure. It was just thinish and too much of a good thing. I compared it directly to a real PAF in the '63 SG and the SG was fatter and better all around. To me the 36th just seemed like a humbucker without a lot of power.

• Members

Yeah, i disagree with the twangy comment.. I didn't find it to be that at all.. But it's also not big and fat.. I personally thought the Gibson Burstbuckers were better and had a chunkier low end, which is what I prefer.

I also kinda disagree with the neck 36th being some kinds of awesome. I have one in my Les Paul now and it's really kind of bland sounding. I was definitely let down..

Overall the bridge is good, but doesn't feel like other paf style pickups that I've tried.. It feels pretty modern sounding to me, even if they are supposedly patterned after Larry Dimarzio's own 59 Les Paul..

yeah this is going in a SG so I definitely need a fat tone.

I tried the BurstBucker Pro that brolando gave me (so it's a Burstbucker BRO :lol:) and it was way too twangy. I gave it to a friend and he installed in his LP and liked it, so I guess these pickups are more for LPs than SGs.

Looks like the Super D is going back in. I really can't say I am unhappy with the Super D tone, I just need a bit extra presence but I can just adjust that on the amp, I guess.

• Members

I'm a huge fan of the d activator...although probably too much output for what you're looking for

well I really like the 81 in my Hamer and I heard the D-Activator is similar, so I am sure I would like it too. But yeah I want a more classic flavor for these guitar. I guess "hot classic" tone is the description of what I am looking for, since the Hamer is a very modern sounding guitar.

Archived