Picked up a crate Blue doodoo

Lucius

• Members

and it isn't half bad. There is a huge volume difference in the clean vs crunch channel. The clean is awesome. Its got nuts, i'll have to try it with distortion pedal in front. If you put the volume up a bit then it breaks up nicely giving you that ACDC type stuff.

The gain channel is a bit compressed and seems to lack the character that the clean channel has. Very usable at any rate and especially for the price these things go for. Chucked my GSP1101 in the loop and the power amp is very clean.

That 215 cab isn't terrible but nothing to write home about either. didn't add that much bass to my rig when I played it in stereo with my 412 H&K cab.
Anyways, here is the gain channel of it->

Cheers, Lucius

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It was the 120H. I would be happy with the amp if they had just cloned the clean channel and added a bit more gain to it. It is a pretty good amp for clean/low gain rock stuff. The crunch channel is very good for leads but for fast chugs type stuff it kinda lacks definition. Cheers, Lucius

• Members

My bud used a BV120 for a long time. You are 100% correct about the volume difference between the channels. The clean channel sounds great and I like the sound of the dirt channel as well , but even with the volume maxed through a 4x12 , the dirt channel is barely enough to hang with a drummer.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius

View Post

and it isn't half bad. There is a huge volume difference in the clean vs crunch channel. The clean is awesome. Its got nuts, i'll have to try it with distortion pedal in front. If you put the volume up a bit then it breaks up nicely giving you that ACDC type stuff.

The gain channel is a bit compressed and seems to lack the character that the clean channel has. Very usable at any rate and especially for the price these things go for. Chucked my GSP1101 in the loop and the power amp is very clean.

That 215 cab isn't terrible but nothing to write home about either. didn't add that much bass to my rig when I played it in stereo with my 412 H&K cab.

Anyways, here is the gain channel of it->

Cheers, Lucius

It isn't half bad. It's 100% bad.

Cheers, Billius

• Members

I had one for a while, and it was really tough getting a usable high gain tone out of it. It was just too mushy, fizzy, messy. The gain channel is ridiculously quiet for a 100 watt tube amp. At band practice, I would have my volume at about 6, and my other guitar player would have his 5150 at 3, and just bury the BV. There are so many better amps out there, even for the low price. On the other hand, it would probably suit a bedroom player just fine.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by nightflameauto

View Post

Didn't Haggar use these on his solo schtick all wrapped up in red tolex? I wonder what he was actually using for dirt, cause when I saw him live he actually sounded fairly decent.

I've seen him plug into a box stock model on the floor of a music store and sound killer going directly into it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

View Post

yeah but you also like Mesa Nomads

My man thumb.gif

The blue voodoo is barre none the worst tube amp I've ever played through.

Maybe the one I had at my place for a couple months was {censored}ed up. It had the dynamic range of a stock metal zone and tonal qualities to match.

Second to the crate blue doodoo was the Mesa nomad. What a pile.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by shane159

View Post

I don't like the Blue ones at all. I have one now sitting here next to me that my drummer gave it to me b/c he hated it. I have tried new tubes, bias and nothing helped the drive channel. I just use the cleans to noodle on when I am bored.

Do you want to get rid of it?

Archived