***Official HCAF Fitness/Bodybuilding Thread***

Gary Cohn

• Members

well, the wife came back in town on thursday last week so I didn't get that night at the gym or friday (I usually go to the gym straight from work so I'm home by the time she gets back into town on friday afternoons) And then easter weekend crushed any hopes of getting into the gym so I only got 3 nights of the 6 day routine in. frown.gif

Anyways, I picked back up on Lane Norton's 6 day plan tonight hitting the lower body hypertrophy routine. Higher rep/lower weight. I also modified it a bit as I wasn't really tired or hurting after finishing confused.gif

Lower Body Power Exercise speed work: Squats

6 sets of 3 reps with 65-70% of normal 3-5 rep max: 155 lbs

Hypertrophy pressing movement: Hack squats (substitute for dumbell lunges @ 20 reps)

3 sets of 8-12 reps: 50 lbs in each hand

Hypertrophy pressing movement: Leg presses (Did 3 sets)

2 sets of 12-15 reps: 405lbs

Hypertrophy extension movement: Leg extensions

3 sets of 15-20 reps: 170, 160, 150

Hypertrophy pulling movement: Romanian deadlifts (Substituted with 20~30 rep 70lb kettle bell sumo squat)

3 sets of 8-12 reps

Hypertrophy curling movement: Lying leg curls (did 3 sets on machine)

2 sets of 12-15 reps: 130, 120, 110

Hypertrophy curling movement: Seated leg curls (Skipped)

2 sets of 15-20 reps

Hypertrophy calf movement: Donkey calf raises

4 sets of 10-15 reps (I haven't figured out a way to safely use weights with this with what equipment we have at our gym and I don't think my back could take the weight of any of the trainers if I were to attempt the completely heterosexual 2 man donkey calf raise redface.gif) So I did standing calf raises with the smith machine + weight. - 175x4

Hypertrophy calf movement: Seated calf raises

3 sets of 15-20 reps: 375x3

After all that I did the following.

- 500m row -> 20 rep windshield wipers holding a 45 lb plate straight up. x3

- 2 sets of 55lb kettlebell swings.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy_Pelosi

View Post

Just rocked a version of your shake Kenny,

1. One apple

2. One banana

3. One tsp vanilla extract

4. One tbsp powdered sugar

5. 1/2 cup water

6. 1/2 cup fruit juice

7. 1 cup chobani greek yogurt

8. 12 icecubes

Blended= sex

Bump cause I'm now drinking this (well.. modified slightly)

I'm pretty picky when it comes to apples. I love eating them sliced with the smuckers natural peanut butter but not really any other way so I substituted them for a hand full of frozen strawberries, dropped the powdered sugar and added a scoop of chocolate Syntha 6 protein powder.

phpGmc812PM.jpg

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

just got back from the gym. back day today.

Deads: 4 sets of 265 lbs at 6-8 reps

Bent DB rows: 4 sets of 90 lbs at 8 reps/set

Lat Hi Rows: 3 sets of 230 lbs @ 8 reps/set

Standing EZ bar curl: 4 sets w/35 lb weight on each side (don't know the total weight) with 6-8 reps per set

10 min of abs/core

had to actually stop early and leave out the t-bar rows because i nearly threw up lol. i can tell i've been slacking lately on the gym...

• Members

Didn't eat after 6pm yesterday, woke up at 8am. 2 TBSP of Chia seeds in 1/2 cup of water, let sit for 10 minutes, turned into an odd paste. Ate paste (flavorless), drank 2 glasses of water, ran 52 minutes (5 miles), felt completely energized, no slacking at all.

There might be something to these little things. I am glad I came across them.

rugby, that is the worst feeling ever. I hate the sick/nausea feeling due to working out. I often get it after I do sprints.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarzan1143

View Post

Didn't eat after 6pm yesterday, woke up at 8am. 2 TBSP of Chia seeds in 1/2 cup of water, let sit for 10 minutes, turned into an odd paste. Ate paste (flavorless), drank 2 glasses of water, ran 52 minutes (5 miles), felt completely energized, no slacking at all.

There might be something to these little things. I am glad I came across them.

rugby, that is the worst feeling ever. I hate the sick/nausea feeling due to working out. I often get it after I do sprints.

no pain, no gain...

• Members

So I usually lift/cardio from 6:30pm to 7:20pm before heading to train from 7:30pm-9:30pm. The idea was to increase my muscle endurance for BJJ as well as get my blood flowing before class. But I am thinking about changing my gym time to early morning, like 530-630am and then leave BJJ for the night time... I am just concerned that I wont have the same benefits spreading out my work out times. any thoughts?

• Members

honestly early mornings are just as busy as my early evenings. we have a huge family population here, so you get the moms and dads in the morning. then at night you get all the meat heads and the recently graduated kids (which is sooooo fun to LOL at) and the single dads/old men. Its a huge club, seriously huge, but its almost ALWAYS infested with ass hats.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mavesicles

View Post

Muscle gain is a very, very, very slow process. Are you saying you gained close to 25lbs of lean muscle in that time?

Yes I am saying that, and I know it's freakish, but people at my gym are swearing I must be taking something to gain lean muscle as quickly as I am. I was also pretty much malnourished before I started. I'm naturally a mesomorph and I was down to a more ectomorph weight range. My body was basically screaming for it. Now the gains have slowed and I have to work harder for it. I'm still putting on about 1.5 pounds per week at the moment.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by OverDriven

View Post

Weighing in and out of water. I also have defined abs, which doesn't really happen unless your body fat is 10% or lower.

fuuuuu... i forgot that you have to be at least 10-12% to have decent looking abs. im sitting at about 17% right now...

on a side note, i have lost a total of ~11 lbs since my last weigh-in 2 1/2 weeks ago biggrin.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by rugbyguitargod

View Post

fuuuuu... i forgot that you have to be at least 10-12% to have decent looking abs. im sitting at about 17% right now...

on a side note, i have lost a total of ~11 lbs since my last weigh-in 2 1/2 weeks ago biggrin.gif

That's really good work man! Keep at it and you'll be shredded soon.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by OverDriven

View Post

That's really good work man! Keep at it and you'll be shredded soon.

yea, i have to be careful and not cut too many carbs out of my diet or else my strength/stamina will suffer. it'll be a slow process, but i've got 8 more months to get where i need to be. currently 6'3'', 219 lbs and 17%. goal is to be 220-225 lbs and ~10% by the end of my deployment.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powers

View Post

honestly early mornings are just as busy as my early evenings. we have a huge family population here, so you get the moms and dads in the morning. then at night you get all the meat heads and the recently graduated kids (which is sooooo fun to LOL at) and the single dads/old men. Its a huge club, seriously huge, but its almost ALWAYS infested with ass hats.

I'm out at a country club that is mostly middle age and up. I think I'm one of maybe 3 guys there who understand proper weight room etiquette. It's one of my hugest pet peeves when people blatantly ignore or are oblivious to weightroom rules.

Seriously I can't even count how many guys will grab a pair of dumbells that are far too heavy for them to be touching to begin with and then stand RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE DB RACK and proceed to do these wild full body swinging curls mad.gif

One day I needed the pair right where a guy was doing curls and I literally walked right over in front of him forcing him to stop while I grabbed them and HE had the nerve to be like "excuse me??" I looked at him like

RUSerious.jpg

"I'M NOT THE ONE STANDING RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE WEIGHTS!"

After I raised my voice at him, one of the trainers (who saw the whole thing go down) got onto the guy and was like "look man we expect folks to use a little common sense around here" and then rattled off some proper etiquette rules for him to try and adhere to.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powers

View Post

welp I am back from 7 days of all inclusive resort living, binge drinking and eating... due to the activity we had, I didnt gain anything (yet)! Now back to hard core training and dieting!

Yup, I'm back now as well. Weather kicked ass, got to spend Saturday Night in Playa watching UFC with a bunch of Canadians and Brits! Still not sure how I got home or why my ass hurts??? Cheers, Lucius

PS: I didn't gain weight at all and I did my first run back at my best time so far 3 miles 22:10! I guess my body needed a little break

• Members

yeah the weather was awesome! I got a little cooked on the first day but it was perfect for the rest of the trip! Glad you had fun!

so I some how started gaining weight... As of Sunday I had 10lbs to go for my comp on June 2. fuuuuu. Well I modified a couple of things in my diet, and started more of a circuit high endurance routine before class.

I am concentrating on abs/chest/back and the cardio I am doing is great for legs.

I start off with rowing 1k meters in under 4 minutes

Then I am picking out my max weight that I can do to 18 reps, and do 3 sets. But I will do the set for chest, move instantly to the set for abs and then move instantly to the back set. Repeat 3 times with 30 seconds of rest between cycles.

Then cap it off with standing on a bosu ball (or whatever those things are) with the platform side up. Git a 15lb rubber medicine ball, stand 6 feet away from the crash wall and from a standing position throw the ball at the wall (in a bench/push motion), catch, squat all the way down do the same motion and rise up to repeat. I do 24 reps, and do 2 sets.

Then go to class and train for 2 hours or so.

Since Sunday I lost 6lbs, while still drinking 2 gallons of water per day smile.gif

The reason I am being so aggressive this early is I might compete this weekend as well...

• Members

Starting at 153.4 lbs, 5.1% body fat (according to the 7 pt caliper test I did at my gym, has a bit of room for error though), as of 5/9/11, my summer workout started this week.

Gonna be taking a picture every day to see if I can see a progression.. I'll hopefully make a time lapse type thing

My goal is to hit 160 lbs by the end of summer

here's my routine:

Mon: Chest/Tris

Tues: Legs/Shoulder/Abs

Wed: Back/Bis

Thurs: Chest/Tris

Fri: Legs/Shoulder/Abs

Sat: Rest

Sun: Rest

• Members

I'm still sticking in with the cycling.

Lost a little weight - 3 or 4 lbs but am definitely fitter.

Did a 38 mile Sportive that involved a climb to the highest village in Scotland. Having 3 gears on my bike may have been a little ambitious!

Turns out all these cycling guys hide behind each other for the wind/aerodynamics. I was out on my own.

• Members

Well my workout routine had some time off but overall I made pretty good progress in about 5 months. But pretty much the last thing for this phase is that I've put on a lot of muscle but I seem to have gained a lot more fat in the stomach area. Any ideas to get rid of this?

Archived