***Official HCAF Fitness/Bodybuilding Thread***

Gary Cohn

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by xcml5

View Post

Well my workout routine had some time off but overall I made pretty good progress in about 5 months. But pretty much the last thing for this phase is that I've put on a lot of muscle but I seem to have gained a lot more fat in the stomach area. Any ideas to get rid of this?

You'll have to lose fat all around your body, and your body will decide where it comes off. There's no such thing as spot fat removal (no sense doing hundreds of crunches with sole intent of losing belly chub, exercise noobs redface.gif), but I'm sure you know that dude.

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mavesicles

View Post

You'll have to lose fat all around your body, and your body will decide where it comes off. There's no such thing as spot fat removal (no sense doing 1000 of crunches thinking your belly fat is going to disappear, exercise noobs redface.gif), but I'm sure you know that dude.

Yeah, I know. But it's weird seeing that I've gotten bigger and put on weight/muscle but my stomach doesn't seem to change.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

latest update: i am still sitting around 218 or so, but have managed to drop down to the area of 14% BF. which is awesome, considering i weighed 226 when i got here and was about 23%. been doing a {censored} ton of calisthenics and cardio/circuit work the last month or so (2 mile interval training, fast paced circuit calisthenics, longer distance runs, rowing, ect). it's working really awesome but i can't wait until after this month then i can start lifting heavy again.

• Members

for anyone that gives a {censored}. I went vegan for a month to cut weight for a tournament. I ended up hitting 13lbs in 3.5 weeks. I started at 10% body fat and went down to 9%... wtf? yeah well going vegan I had a {censored} of a time getting my protein balanced apparently so I lost some fat and a lot of muscle. in fact my max for everything in my routine went down by at least 10%... srsly. I calculated everything in my diet and I went from 150 grams of protein a day to 30-40... and thats what happened... btw this was with circuit/weight training for 30 mins (4 times a week) immediately before 1.5 hours of BJJ training (5 days a week). I guess I need that protein...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powers

View Post

for anyone that gives a {censored}. I went vegan for a month to cut weight for a tournament. I ended up hitting 13lbs in 3.5 weeks. I started at 10% body fat and went down to 9%... wtf? yeah well going vegan I had a {censored} of a time getting my protein balanced apparently so I lost some fat and a lot of muscle. in fact my max for everything in my routine went down by at least 10%... srsly. I calculated everything in my diet and I went from 150 grams of protein a day to 30-40... and thats what happened... btw this was with circuit/weight training for 30 mins (4 times a week) immediately before 1.5 hours of BJJ training (5 days a week). I guess I need that protein...

Hell yeah dude. A coworker of mine is completely vegetarian. Dude is massive, body builder status almost except for a bit of a gut. Asked him what he used for protein, told me to look into goji berries, hemp seed, chia seed, and a few other things. Obviously it works for him, dude looks like he is sitting at 250 and is always in the gym.

I {censored}ed something up in my elbow last night. Was an arm day at the gym, felt a bit weak in my left elbow curling 50's, then went over to a flex arm hang for {censored}'s and giggles, while I was holding on something kind of popped, now I am sore as hell near my elbow joint (feels like muscle strain) and as well right between my thumb and pointer finger, I suspect those two injuries are related. Looks like it is a week of cardio and leg training next week facepalm.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by isvoid

View Post

On an average week:

2 to 3 days /week ... Run 5 to 10k (in intervals), followed by 45 minutes of free weights / body weight

2 to 3 days /week ... Hot yoga

Nice. I am scheduled to run a 10k this weekend for Lou Gehrig's benefits. Haven't ran 10k in a while, been keeping to 2-4 mile interval training (fartlek, repeats, barefoot, tempo runs). Hopefully I can still make it.

• Members

I've decided that I'm going to start getting up early and jogging around our neighborhood loop (2 miles) with the dogs.

After 3 months of sticking with norton's plan, I've noticed gains in the gym but very little difference in the mirror. frown.gif

so time to add some more cardio in there.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar

View Post

I've decided that I'm going to start getting up early and jogging around our neighborhood loop (2 miles) with the dogs.

After 3 months of sticking with norton's plan, I've noticed gains in the gym but very little difference in the mirror. frown.gif

so time to add some more cardio in there.

Awesome dude, if you need any advice on what you should be running let me know. Dating a x-country, marathon training, personal trainer girlfriend, she definitely got me into amazing shape cardio-wise in only a few months. I love it when people start running. It kind of becomes a daily habit. I hate my off days, but after leg press/squats/calf press at the gym, I really do need it. I got my mile time from 9:45 to 5:57 in about 5 or 6 months of casual training. Also lost just about every ounce of fat I had on my stomach/sides.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Bump

How's everyone doing?

I'm up to doing 5 rep 100lb dumbell presses for all 3 sets of my chest/arm power day and about 235lbs squats for 5 reps on the lower body power days.

I'm also doing 55lb kettle bell swings, 75 lb kettle bell sumo squats and 45 lb kettle bell (one in each hand) lunges for 20 reps on my lower body hypertrophy days.

I'm kinda bummed about all of this though when I look in the mirror. Big strength and endurance gains in the gym but I don't really look any different.

I've tried getting up early a few mornings to go run and I have ZERO energy. I feel like a zombie and really just cannot get motivated. I'm trying to get to bed at a decent hour (10pm if I'm lucky) but despite 6~7 hours of sleep those nights, I still feel like crap. I'm just not a morning person at all. I'm seriously considering just buying a rowing machine and doing that in the mornings vs trying to go run. It's like 80*F and 98% humidity at 5am cry.gif

• Members

My bench suddenly went up ever since I started doing a new machine at the gym and doing 4 sets of 50 pushups every night. But I'm still not where I want to be. My looks haven't changed at all but soon I'm going to start incorporating more cardio into my routine. I lost all my gains because I was playing golf everyday carrying my bag 18 holes for 5 hours and never had time to go to the gym but its slowly coming back.

• Members

I'm pleased with my progress though my goals are not typical for a HCAF forumite (unless you're a geezer). I do simple push / pull days 2 to 3 times a week, typically 4 sets, 7 to 10 reps with 55lb dumb bells (e.g mil. press, bench) which is pretty light fair compared to some of you bruisers. Not bad tho for a 53 year old haz been. wave.gif On non strength training days I run or do yoga. My weight loss has plateaued for about a month now, even tho I continue to trim up / drop inches. Staying this course, feeling good, strong. Push day today; my fav. Yeah.

• Members

I started doing non-weighted pushups about a month ago, a change from the usual weighted pushups. I'm doing 40 non-stop now and I feel my pecs have become overall more fuller.

Seem to feel a better burn when I max out naturally, rather than with weight.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mavesicles

View Post

I started doing non-weighted pushups about a month ago, a change from the usual weighted pushups. I'm doing 40 non-stop now and I feel my pecs have become overall more fuller.

Seem to feel a better burn when I max out naturally, rather than with weight.

I don't like weighted pushups; they feel awkward. Do you do dips? I like them more than pushups and they respond better to adding weight.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage

View Post

I don't like weighted pushups; they feel awkward. Do you do dips? I like them more than pushups and they respond better to adding weight.

Yep I do dips too. I agree they do respond better to adding weight. Love a good tricep burn.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage

View Post

Pushups are useless for any real kind of muscle building, but that's just me. Dips are awesome for the triceps. Weighted dips are even more awesome. You want big tris? Do weighted dips, close grip bench and skull crushers. All on the same day, once per week. Watch em grow.

• Members

I am now working on pure strength, which is going to be hard because I will have to keep my weight as is for competition purposes, and I am not ready to fight at a higher weight. I am working on more practical exercises that a relevant to the movements I do in BJJ. push ups are great, but my coach usually fries us with those during class each night.

I am trying a super slow controlled approach. 6 seconds exerting 6 seconds returning. medium weight. then lighter weight as fast as possible for higher reps (about 18). This has helped my muscle cardio tremendously but my gains arent moving. I am nervous to change things up because of the weight issue...

any tips for strength gains without weight gains? pisses me off when I see tiny dudes benching twice their weight...

• Members

Time to step up my A-Game. time for some serious two-a-days, six days a week...

Weighed in and got an accurate BF% measurement 3 days ago. i was 227 lbs and 28% about 2 months ago. i am now 214 and 17-16%.

The goal is to put on some lean mass and cut some excess off in the process. i know i won't pack on a ton of muscle this way, but the goal is to cut to about 210 lbs and 10% or less in one month and still retain quite a good bit of quality muscle or put on slightly more. My wife and myself kinda have this bet running of who can get into better shape before i come home for RnR the first week of August.

The supplements:

Xtreme DMZ- prohormone. very strong stuff. i am using Milk Thistle for liver support for the duration of the cycle.

Lean EFX- bar-none one of the strongest energy/fat burners on the market.

Jack3d- pre workout

Opti-Men multivitamin

IDS Whey Protein

The Training:

Monday:

(AM) hard cardio with speed training sprints and/or rowing intervals.

(PM): Chest & Tri's

DB bench 4 sets of 6-8 reps

Dips w/bodyweight (3 sets of 10-12 reps)

Incline DB press (4 sets of 6-8 reps)

EZ Bar tricep press (4 sets of 6-8 reps)

DB Flyes (4 sets of 6-8 reps)

burnout set (1 set of barbell benchpress w/no weight for max reps to failure; wide grip)

Tuesday:

(AM): Calisthenics; pushup variations (close hand, wide-arm, regular width and decline) for 250 reps. Ab/core work.

(PM): hard cardio (rowing/sprinting/jump rope)

Wednesday:

(AM): Hard cardio (2.5 mile run @ 7:15/mile pace)

(PM): Back & Bi's

Deadlift (3 sets of 6 reps)

bent DB row (4 sets of 6-8 reps)

Wide lat cable pulldown (3 sets of 6 reps)

T-Bar Rows (3 sets of 5-6 reps)

EZ bar curls (3 sets of 8-10 reps)

hammer curls (3 sets of 6-8 reps)

Thursday:

(AM): Calisthenics; pushup variations (close hand, wide-arm, regular width and decline) for 250 reps. Ab/core work.

Friday:

(AM): extended interval training (run/sprint for 1:30, jog for 45 seconds. maintain for 2 miles)

(PM): Legs and Shoulders

Squat (4 sets of 5-6 reps)

Leg Press (4 sets of 6-8 reps)

weighted lunges (4 sets of 8 reps)

Weighted Calf Raises (5 sets of 15 reps)

Side shoulder raises (3 sets of 6-8)

reverse shoulder flyes (3 sets of 6-8)

DB shoulder press (4 sets of 5-6)

Saturday:

The Diet:

-5x egg whites, 6 slices of turkey bacon, 2 servings of plain oatmeal, two glasses of soy milk.

-50g protein shake between breakfast/lunch

-2x chicken breast fillet, 1/2 cup chili, 1 cup steamed brown rice, salad w/tomatoes and fat free italian dressing.

-50g protein shake between lunch/dinner

-3x chicken or turkey wraps/sandwiches w/lettuce, tomato, shredded cheese and fat free ranch. Noodles with gravy, steamed broccoli

-50g protein shake (after workout/before bed)

diet looks kinda crappy i know, but i'll dial it in better ASAP. the Lean EFX, Xtreme DMZ and Milk Thistle are on their way as we speak and should receive them in roughly 4-5 days.

WILL UPDATE AS PROGRESS IS MADE!!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by isvoid

View Post

I'm pleased with my progress though my goals are not typical for a HCAF forumite (unless you're a geezer). I do simple push / pull days 2 to 3 times a week, typically 4 sets, 7 to 10 reps with 55lb dumb bells (e.g mil. press, bench) which is pretty light fair compared to some of you bruisers. Not bad tho for a 53 year old haz been. wave.gif On non strength training days I run or do yoga. My weight loss has plateaued for about a month now, even tho I continue to trim up / drop inches. Staying this course, feeling good, strong. Push day today; my fav. Yeah.

time to get on that Cenegenics brah cop.gif

cenegenics.jpg

Archived