***Official HCAF Fitness/Bodybuilding Thread***

Gary Cohn

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy_Pelosi

View Post

I was going to add, if you're trying to lose weight, pay close attention to your sugar intake as well. Thats the secret killer.

sugar= long-chain carbs= watch your carbs

thought we covered watching carb intake? i'll say it again: YES, cutting carbs is essential to weight loss, but cutting them too much will result in a plateau of strength/size gains and cause your diet to crash horribly. cutting them out completely is pro level 5% BF to 3% BF extremist body building dieting. NOT for the beginner or novice.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by superflyinmonke

View Post

I just started a new regiment where I'm lifting 12-10-8-6, increasing in weight. I almost passed out from doing squats tonight.

How much does a squat bar weigh? I managed to get 6 in at 220lbs. with good form. I try and go as deep and close to the ground as I can.

try doing 5 sets of 5-6 reps with the same weight each time. the trick is to find the right working weight. guarantee once you do, you'll notice huge leg gains. if you throw up and/or get woozy from doing legs, that means you're definitely doing something right hahaha. by squat bar, i take it you mean a traditional 45 lb bar?

my current leg workout:

Squats

5 sets of 6 reps at 265 lbs

Leg Press

5 sets of 6 reps at 600 lbs

calf raises

5 sets of 15 reps at 275 lbs

lunges

5 sets of 5 reps at bodyweight and a 55 lb dumb bell in each hand

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by rugbyguitargod

View Post

try doing 5 sets of 5-6 reps with the same weight each time. the trick is to find the right working weight. guarantee once you do, you'll notice huge leg gains. if you throw up and/or get woozy from doing legs, that means you're definitely doing something right hahaha. by squat bar, i take it you mean a traditional 45 lb bar?

my current leg workout:

Squats

5 sets of 6 reps at 265 lbs

Leg Press

5 sets of 6 reps at 600 lbs

calf raises

5 sets of 15 reps at 275 lbs

lunges

5 sets of 5 reps at bodyweight and a 55 lb dumb bell in each hand

We have a lunge exercise that our trainers will throw into the crossfit workouts called lunging the L which is basically going to one end of the gym then across the back wall, turn around and go back to the beginning. It's something like 50 reps or something awful like that. I think I did it once with a 15 lb kettle bell in each hand with my arms straight up over my head but I damn near collapsed near the end and my arms were shaking like crazy redface.gif

I've since stuck to doing 2 sets of 20 rep lunges with the dumbells and then just lunge the L once with no weight but hands over head. The high rep set at the end just destroys whatever strength is remaining in my lower body.

I usually have to do the med ball wall toss squats and kettle bell swings before that because after those lunges, it's over for me.

Oh and for some strange reason, I don't really get sick when I am pushed past my limits, I basically have emergency diarrhea icon_lol.gif WTF??

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar

View Post

We have a lunge exercise that our trainers will throw into the crossfit workouts called lunging the L which is basically going to one end of the gym then across the back wall, turn around and go back to the beginning. It's something like 50 reps or something awful like that. I think I did it once with a 15 lb kettle bell in each hand with my arms straight up over my head but I damn near collapsed near the end and my arms were shaking like crazy redface.gif

I've since stuck to doing 2 sets of 20 rep lunges with the dumbells and then just lunge the L once with no weight but hands over head. The high rep set at the end just destroys whatever strength is remaining in my lower body.

I usually have to do the med ball wall toss squats and kettle bell swings before that because after those lunges, it's over for me.

Oh and for some strange reason, I don't really get sick when I am pushed past my limits, I basically have emergency diarrhea icon_lol.gif WTF??

try those weighted lunges with a 55lb DB in each hand sometime.... its GUARANTEED to make your ass cheeks feel like they fell off your body the next day lol

• Members

View Post

yeah I think as long as the reps are less than 10, I can manage teh 55's. I think the most I've done with heavy weights is around 18 or 20 reps with 40 lb's in each hand. Sucks.. I'm all wobbly there after 12 or so reps. icon_lol.gif

about 2 hrs after i posted that last message, i did my leg workout....

i swear my quads and glutes feel like they're on fire lol

• Members

I still don't do any leg workout. There is no point as I have horse legs, I need to make the top part match the bottom first. I guess the uphill runs and sprints will do for now, they are usually aided by 20-30 pounds in my vest.

• Members

Haven't read the whole thread - kind of long, but I'll weigh in.

Trying to lose a bit of fat - was probably 20lbs overweight - 5'11" and 190lbs

I swim in the mornings in winter - 30 mins or so and have been doing a lot of cycling now the weather is better.

I splashed some cash on a nice bike:

R0012605.JPG

Been doing more and more miles - 25 in a day once a week and cycling around town in the evenings when I'd get the bus before.

TBH the swimming didn't make much difference but it did help with a knee injury I have (torn motorbike).

Really enjoy the cycling - it's like going to the gym, but going somewhere! We've had some great weather at the weekends here in the UK this month which is rare but good for getting out on the bike.

Currently at 179lbs (BMI: 25.0) but I've definitely lost a lot of fat - put on some muscle in my legs and shoulders - legs is good as it helps counteract the instability in my knee. I'd guess I've probably lost 15lbs of fat over 4 or 5 months. More of a change in shape as opposed to weight. My waistline has dropped a couple of inches.

Been taking it slowly and working on fitness as well - definitely notice a difference there - can feel my heart and lungs working well.

Suppose that's a bit rambling, but hey ho.

Not into body building/building up muscle - rather keep it lean and natural and be fitter - that's why I like cycling - been playing tennis too.

I've got OK muscle build naturally anyway

***edit*** 'torn motorbike?' 'torn ligament from a motorbike accident' is what I meant

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by yourguitarhero

View Post

Haven't read the whole thread - kind of long, but I'll weigh in.

Trying to lose a bit of fat - was probably 20lbs overweight - 5'11" and 190lbs

I swim in the mornings in winter - 30 mins or so and have been doing a lot of cycling now the weather is better.

I splashed some cash on a nice bike:

R0012605.JPG

Been doing more and more miles - 25 in a day once a week and cycling around town in the evenings when I'd get the bus before.

TBH the swimming didn't make much difference but it did help with a knee injury I have (torn motorbike).

Really enjoy the cycling - it's like going to the gym, but going somewhere! We've had some great weather at the weekends here in the UK this month which is rare but good for getting out on the bike.

Currently at 179lbs (BMI: 25.0) but I've definitely lost a lot of fat - put on some muscle in my legs and shoulders - legs is good as it helps counteract the instability in my knee. I'd guess I've probably lost 15lbs of fat over 4 or 5 months. More of a change in shape as opposed to weight. My waistline has dropped a couple of inches.

Been taking it slowly and working on fitness as well - definitely notice a difference there - can feel my heart and lungs working well.

Suppose that's a bit rambling, but hey ho.

Not into body building/building up muscle - rather keep it lean and natural and be fitter - that's why I like cycling - been playing tennis too.

I've got OK muscle build naturally anyway

Nice. Girlfriend informed me that swimming won't do much for you since there is such little resistance, it will only improve cardiovascular health as it is still a cardio workout. It is best for people who are recovering from injury, like you said.

Try a knee stability brace and jogging. It sucks at first, but your body gets addicted to it rather quickly and any fat you have will be gone within a few weeks if you already have a good metabolism.

• Members

Only just seen this thread. I've been doing Stronglifts 5x5 for around a month and I'm doing alright but really struggling with building strength on the overhead press and bench press due to a long term shoulder injury (since last August) cry.gif Thanks to cycling and generally being large my squats have shot up, I'm at 77.5kg already smile.gif Deadlifting 120kg on a good day.

Cardio wise I'm building up my mileage on the bike, did a ~50 mile road ride on Saturday which just about killed me on 500ml of water and an energy gel redface.gif

Don't know whether I'm eating enough protein post-weight lifting workout. How much meat (roughly) should I be eating?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarzan1143

View Post

Nice. Girlfriend informed me that swimming won't do much for you since there is such little resistance, it will only improve cardiovascular health as it is still a cardio workout. It is best for people who are recovering from injury, like you said.

Try a knee stability brace and jogging. It sucks at first, but your body gets addicted to it rather quickly and any fat you have will be gone within a few weeks if you already have a good metabolism.

swimming burns more calories than any other cardio exercise. Second place is rowing machine.

• Members

I've been working out since Feb 1st of this year, so about 2.5 months. My weight has gone from 160 to 185, and my body fat percentage has remained below 10%. Not bad. I'm shooting for 195 by the end of June. I'm currently on Doug's 4-day split BTW.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Stevenexp

View Post

I would like to challenge you. I'm 6 1' and 125 pounds.

I was 123 lb at 6'0" January 3 this year, put down the cigarettes and picked up a barbell, now I weigh 141 and may actually be leaner than before thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by OverDriven

View Post

I've been working out since Feb 1st of this year, so about 2.5 months. My weight has gone from 160 to 185, and my body fat percentage has remained below 10%. Not bad. I'm shooting for 195 by the end of June. I'm currently on Doug's 4-day split BTW.

Muscle gain is a very, very, very slow process. Are you saying you gained close to 25lbs of lean muscle in that time?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mavesicles

View Post

Muscle gain is a very, very, very slow process. Are you saying you gained close to 25lbs of lean muscle in that time?

probably not in straight 'lean muscle' but i guarantee his muscles probably picked up some water. it isn't unusual for someone who has never worked out before to gain massive amounts in the first 2-3 months, sometimes upwards of 30 lbs.

• Members

View Post

swimming burns more calories than any other cardio exercise. Second place is rowing machine.

This, dudes girlfriend doesn't what she's talking about. Have you ever seen a fat person whose a serious swimmer??? no

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by co&cafan808

View Post

This, dudes girlfriend doesn't what she's talking about. Have you ever seen a fat person whose a serious swimmer??? no

She doesn't have a degree in it or anything. But I wasn't talking about calorie burning, just muscle use. Least resistance form of cardio = swimming.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by OverDriven

View Post

What are you testing your body fat with?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarzan1143

View Post

If your gf insists on spewing incorrect information, do yourself a favor and don't relay it.

• Members

I hate swimming. I hate running. I really haven't ever done much cycling so I don't know if I hate that yet or not.

All I know is that I will spend an 5 hours on a rowing machine before I spend 5 minutes on a treadmill.

Anyways, last night was back to Norton's SS grind.

Day 4: Back and Shoulders Hypertrophy Day

Pulling Power Exercise speed work: Bent over or Pendlay rows

6 sets of 3 reps with 65-70% of normal 3-5 rep max: 60 lb dumbell

Hypertrophy pulling movement: Rack chins

3 sets of 8-12 reps: 35lb kettlebell chained around waist x 3

Hypertrophy pulling movement: Seated cable row

3 sets of 8-12 reps: 150lb x 3

Hypertrophy pulling movement: Dumbbell rows or shrugs bracing upper body against an incline bench

2 sets of 12-15 reps: Shrugs w/60 lb dumbells x 2

Hypertrophy pulling movement: Close grip pulldowns (Substituted close grip unweighted pullups holding the bar like you'd hold a baseball bat)

2 sets of 15-20 reps: 15 reps, 12 reps

Hypertrophy shoulder movement: Seated dumbbell presses

3 sets of 8-12 reps: 110, 90

Hypertrophy shoulder movement: Upright rows

2 sets of 12-15 reps: Substituted for saxon side bends using 35 lb plate + weighted crunches super set x 3 sets

Hypertrophy shoulder movement: Side lateral raises with dumbbells or cables

3 sets of 12-20 reps: 30 lb dumbells, 30 lb, 25 lb.

I got all the way to the lateral raises before having to run to the bathroom to take a wicked dump. Which is funny because I took a dump right before I left the house and thought the pipes were clean. Guess I had a good workout last night icon_lol.gif

I'm still not hurting from any of this but I am noticably more tired. I was beat last night. I turned in around 10pm which is about an hour earlier than usual.

I've got some L-Carnatine, L-Citrulline and L-Arginine to take pre workout and ZMA to go with the post workout shake at night to help recovery.

Also, it seems like it's hit or miss but some nights I'm having trouble falling asleep. I'll feel all awake and totally NOT tired but not a jittery awake like from too much caffeine. I don't know if it has to do with the NOXplode or not. That and BCAA is the only pre-workout supplements I'm taking right now but some nights I'm out pretty much right when my head hits the pillow.

Archived