***Official HCAF Fitness/Bodybuilding Thread***

Gary Cohn

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarzan1143

View Post

Better than I could do. I can get 7 or 8 with my vest on, but its at 28 pounds i think?

I'd like to try more weight, but I can't just keep stuffing plates between my legs. icon_lol.gifredface.gif I guess I could use my backpack that I use for weighted pushups. redface.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mavesicles

View Post

I'd like to try more weight, but I can't just keep stuffing plates between my legs. icon_lol.gifredface.gif I guess I could use my backpack that I use for weighted pushups. redface.gif

Should work. I do pullups PT style though. Slow up, chin 2-3'' over the bar, hold, slow down until elbows are locked. If I did them how everyone else at the gym does them I could probably score a good bit more. I am not about high number though, I am about optimizing and hurting more the next day. haha.

• Members

View Post

Should work. I do pullups PT style though. Slow up, chin 2-3'' over the bar, hold, slow down until elbows are locked. If I did them how everyone else at the gym does them I could probably score a good bit more. I am not about high number though, I am about optimizing and hurting more the next day. haha.

Yep, slow and steady FTW. Most pullups I've seen on Youtube, they swing their legs for momentum. It's so retarded. I understand that's a different way of doing them, but it still seems retarded.

• Members

View Post

Yep, slow and steady FTW. Most pullups I've seen on Youtube, they swing their legs for momentum. It's so retarded. I understand that's a different way of doing them, but it still seems retarded.

I have to keep my legs straight out otherwise I will hit the floor, busts your abs too.

• Members

View Post

When I do them at home, the pullup bar I have in my doorway isn't high enough . If I keep the body straight my feet hit the floor, so I keep my legs out in front.

Oh, I thought you meant straight out as in straight down. redface.gif

I do mine from a piece of wood nailed to the basement floor joists. It works, but I bet it'd be easier on the hands if I had something round to hold.

• Members

View Post

Also for those more into calisthenics such as myself :

I wish I could do half of this {censored}, these guys are seriously good.

They made that look so easy. No shuddering or twitching, just solid movement. I wish I had a better bar like that now. I have been doing a wicked number of pull-ups and chin-ups lately and was wondering how to make them harder.

I've been trying to gain some weight as I've been pretty lean for most of my life and I've been exercising for a long time, but didn't mix up my exercises that much.

I've always been a free-weight guy, but now I'm eating more and lifting heavier.

I'm 26 5'10" and about 185lbs. or so. I'm not looking to gain a lot of weight, I just want to fill out some more. I'll keep lifting heavy for another couple weeks and then introduce more cardio after that to lean up again.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by superflyinmonke

View Post

I'm 26 5'10" and about 185lbs. or so. I'm not looking to gain a lot of weight, I just want to fill out some more. I'll keep lifting heavy for another couple weeks and then introduce more cardio after that to lean up again.

How many reps are you doing?

• Members

The most pull ups I could ever do was around 20-25 legit pt test pull ups, I sure couldn't do that now. My friend is a beast on a pull up bar and I've seen him hit 40 in a pt test one time and he did some one handers after that. He benches over 400 but can't squat {censored}.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by co&cafan808

View Post

The most pull ups I could ever do was around 20-25 legit pt test pull ups, I sure couldn't do that now. My friend is a beast on a pull up bar and I've seen him hit 40 in a pt test one time and he did some one handers after that. He benches over 400 but can't squat {censored}.

Does he suffer from chicken legs?

• Members

View Post

How many reps are you doing?

I just started a new regiment where I'm lifting 12-10-8-6, increasing in weight. I almost passed out from doing squats tonight.

How much does a squat bar weigh? I managed to get 6 in at 220lbs. with good form. I try and go as deep and close to the ground as I can.

• Members

View Post

They made that look so easy. No shuddering or twitching, just solid movement. I wish I had a better bar like that now. I have been doing a wicked number of pull-ups and chin-ups lately and was wondering how to make them harder.

I've been trying to gain some weight as I've been pretty lean for most of my life and I've been exercising for a long time, but didn't mix up my exercises that much.

I've always been a free-weight guy, but now I'm eating more and lifting heavier.

My guess is that these guys have been coming to this playground doing this {censored} all of their lives. Most of them look like average dudes, I just think they were born and raised on calisthenics, I wish the USA had playgrounds like this.

• Members

View Post

Yeah, that's one hell of a playground. If that one was around here, it would have been torn down. {censored}ing plastic parks with mashed up rubber.

I'd love to build something like that in my back yard in the woods or something when I own my own house. For now I am stuck with the {censored}ty pullup bar in the gym and they don't allow any fun stuff. They yell at me when I do leg lifts and muscle ups for improper use of the equipment facepalm.gif

• Members

View Post

I'd love to build something like that in my back yard in the woods or something when I own my own house. For now I am stuck with the {censored}ty pullup bar in the gym and they don't allow any fun stuff. They yell at me when I do leg lifts and muscle ups for improper use of the equipment facepalm.gif

I've joined a community center that has a lot of really good equipment. Though I'm astounded at how little leg exercising equipment they have, it's always busy, there aren't ever any good looking girls, parking sucks and the change rooms are {censored}ty.... um, lost my train of thought...

• Members

Hey guys just extending a helping hand to you all, do a little bit of research on hemp seeds and chia seeds as far as adding to your diet.

hemp seeds have ALL essential amino acids, big time metabolic boost as well as energizing for the body.

Chia seeds are an incredible source for energy. They were a large part of Native American/South American diets for the runners (messengers between tribes), they would fill a gourd with water and eat a handful of the seeds to spend the day running. they contain tons of essential protein, minerals, fats, and natural consumable oils.

Give these a try in your smoothies, report back the results, I am interested, I just bought a whole bunch, (The 3 pound bags of each are on sale for over 50% off on amazon). My buddy is big time into the organic diet and is also a huge body builder. He is completely vegetarian, so I was asking him how he grows so much and looks like he does maintaining that diet, he laughed and said "Easy!"

• Members

View Post

Hey guys just extending a helping hand to you all, do a little bit of research on hemp seeds and chia seeds as far as adding to your diet.

hemp seeds have ALL essential amino acids, big time metabolic boost as well as energizing for the body.

Chia seeds are an incredible source for energy. They were a large part of Native American/South American diets for the runners (messengers between tribes), they would fill a gourd with water and eat a handful of the seeds to spend the day running. they contain tons of essential protein, minerals, fats, and natural consumable oils.

Give these a try in your smoothies, report back the results, I am interested, I just bought a whole bunch, (The 3 pound bags of each are on sale for over 50% off on amazon). My buddy is big time into the organic diet and is also a huge body builder. He is completely vegetarian, so I was asking him how he grows so much and looks like he does maintaining that diet, he laughed and said "Easy!"

Great tip! I've been enjoying the hell out of eating quinoi as a side dish for most meals. We've talked about that before though.

• Members

Update. Last night was Day 1 of the Layne Norton simply shredded 6 day plan.

These were the workouts it called for and the weight I'm starting at in order to meet rep failure withing the target rep range. I arranged the 8 workouts into 4 superset pairs

*Bent over rows (used a dumbell and knee on a bench) - 3 sets - 3~5 reps: 85 lb/80/80

*Flat bench dumbell press - 3 sets - 3~5 reps: (per hand) 100lb/95/90

*Weighted pullups - 2 sets - 6~10 reps: (using kettle bell chained to weight belt) 55 lb/50 lb

*Weighted Dips - 2 sets - 6~10 reps: kept belt/chain kettlebells and just walked from one station to the other (same weight) 55 for 1st set and 50 for 2nd

- 2 sets - 6~10 reps. Curl bar was in use when I was doing these so I left the weight belt on with a kettlebell chained to it hanging down behind me as I did these. : 35lb/35

*Seated dumbell shoulder press - 3 sets - 6~10 reps: (per hand) 65/55/50

*Standing ezcurl barbell curl - 3 sets - 6~10 reps: (weight not including bar) 55/55/50

*Skull crushers - 3 sets - 6~10 reps: (weight not including bar) 70/65/55

To put it bluntly, my arms were numb last night...

tonight, lower body cry.gif

View Post

Also for those more into calisthenics such as myself :

I wish I could do half of this {censored}, these guys are seriously good.

A wild ghetto appears!

• Members

Last night...

Day 2: Lower Body Power Day

Pressing Power Movement: Squats

3 sets of 3-5 reps: 215, 215, 205

Assistance pressing movement: Hack Squats (substituted for leg press machine - inclinded weight sled type)

2 sets of 6-10 reps: 405, 405

Assistance extension movement: Leg extensions

2 sets of 6-10 reps: 210, 210

Assistance pulling movement: Stiff legged deadlifts (Substituted weighted hyperextensions due to my lower back not liking deadlifts)

3 sets of 5-8 reps: 35, 35, 35

Assistance pulling/curling movement: Glute ham raises or lying leg curls

2 sets of 6-10 reps: 150, 145

Auxiliary calf movement: Standing calf raise (used smith machine)

3 sets of 6-10 reps: 205, 205, 205

Auxiliary calf movement: Seated calf raise (loaded the leg press machine sled and put feet on lower edge)

2 sets of 6-10 reps: 415, 415

Legs feel good but usually it's 2 days after when the pain sets in. I suspect my quads are going to hate me tomorrow morning... first time I've gotten on those leg extension and hamstring curl machine in over a year...

Archived