HCAG album update

Freeman Keller

• Members

I can't get all serious and stuff about the album to a point of dragging anyone across the coals. Hell, I don't take myself seriously about playing guitar. It's just a fun thing to do and album or not, it's still only that and completely unworthy of hurting anyone's feelings. What I don't want this album to become is a symbol for those who "did" and those who "didn't" (read as cared and didn't care) contribute. That's a ridiculous thought but it seems to be going down that road and Clip is getting caught in the crossfire. So, if it's all the same to everyone, I'm out.

• Members
Hey Freeman, on my submission to you I think I forgot to mention what guitar I used. It was the Parkwood - not that you would be able to tell if I used an Esteban given the low quality of my recording resources (one pinhole mike on my computer for both voice and guitar recorded on the Sound Studio Program on my Mac) not that that stopped me from submitting tracks, if you all get my drift. Now please excuse me, my enormous genitals are bothering me. (
Hey Terry, d'ya think that was too subtle?
)

LOL...very subtle, indeed! :thu:

• Members
I can't get all serious and stuff about the album to a point of dragging anyone across the coals. Hell, I don't take myself seriously about playing guitar. It's just a fun thing to do and album or not, it's still only that and completely unworthy of hurting anyone's feelings. What I don't want this album to become is a symbol for those who "did" and those who "didn't" (read as cared and didn't care) contribute. That's a ridiculous thought but it seems to be going down that road and Clip is getting caught in the crossfire. So, if it's all the same to everyone, I'm out.

I don't see this as being about the "cares" vs the "don't cares" at all. Like I said, it isn't a contest. Those who would enjoy playing for and being entertained by fellow forumites can do so without having to worry about being "good-enough." I have dial-up and it is a pain to download anything so I haven't heard what a lot of you have posted from time to time. I would enjoy hearing Ellen, Freeman, Hud, Kwak, Terry, Knock, Trina, you and all the other forumites I just pissed off by not specifically naming. I mention my own contribution not as a way of saying I am better or care more, but rather as an example of someone who can't pick, can't fingerpick but still enjoys the guitar and would like to share with the great folks on this site. :blah::blah::blah:

Hope you will reconsider.

• Members

So, if it's all the same to everyone, I'm out.

Sorry, but it's not all the same to me. So I'm afraid you're in. Even if I can't get it together to re-record (bad equipment, bad neighbors, bad musician), I would very much like to get my hands on a copy of this thing when it is done, and it would be diminished for me if your tracks are not on the thing. We're a nutty bunch and sometimes we get a little overwrought about this crap - whatever "this crap" happens to be at any given moment. But we also inevitably swing back to the good kind of overwrought. Don't bail, yo.

• Members

Hey guys, not to permanently take this in another direction - though I'm personally dying for a subject change - but I was looking over at the AGF and they have a similar effort going on. One difference is that it seems like the mod stepped up and took the reigns. Now I know that that probably won't happen here, but one thing I noticed is that it is much better-organized.

One glaring example of this is that they seem to have though out the legal ramifications of contributors doing covers. They make it mandatory that you get a "mechanical license" in order to do so.

I have no idea how long that would take but I was going to contribute a couple of covers here and now I'm thinking that I'd prefer to cover my @$$ if I were to do so. Of course, I could always re-record one of my original efforts in WAV format - since the old takes are on a different PC that is collecting dust down on my workbench.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm making no promises on my involvement but will do my best to get something original done and in the mail this weekend.

• Members

When the dust finally settles, I'll need an updated list of participants. The cover "art" was supposed to be a collage of the participants' avatars. It doesn't make much sense, IMHO, to include avatars of people who aren't participating, so I'll have to redo the cover as soon as I know who's "in".

• Members

One glaring example of this is that they seem to have though out the legal ramifications of contributors doing covers. They make it mandatory that you get a "mechanical license" in order to do so.

I've been fussing over this too. We discussed it last winter on the first go around and kind of avoided the whole issue - I remember the arguement that if we were "giving away" the cd's (each recipient would be asked for a four dollar donation to cover the mailing and duplicating costs) it would probably be OK to include covers. Nobody is making any money on this, we shouldn't have to pay any royalities. No HCAG lawyer-guitar players stepped forward to say otherwise.

I did go to the site that AGF points to and the songs that I have covered are definitely copyrighted. I don't want to pay the fifteen bucks or whatever and do the paperwork for what really amounts to a non-commercial jam session. But as the guy putting it together if something did go down I'm going to be the one hit by the stinky stuff.

Frankly I'm kind of bummed by all of this and it is becoming way more of a hassle than I had originally thought. I feel like I'm herding cats trying to get submissions, the whole thing with Clippity is starting to wear on me, and if there truely are legal hurdles I'm about ready to pull the plug. On the other hand when I listen to the submissions that I've received I realize that we have some incredibly talented folks hanging here - why can't we get together and jam?

Let me do a little more research and sleep on it - we'll discuss more tomorrow.

• Members

Fellers,

Might you consider an alternative to the hard copy CD thing? Namely, storing our recordings in some easily accessible online location like a PutFile account? I do not think I am the first person to suggest something like this as an alternative, but in light of recent complicating developments, I kicked the idea around some offline with FK this afternoon, and it seems to have a few advantages:

-No more deadline pressure
Post whenever you're ready

-Legal responsibility relief for FK on this whole copyright thing
I really do not understand all the legalities, but it seems to me FK's concerns about being held particularly responsible in the event something goes nuts copyright-wise are legit, if he's the one compiling stuff. This way, we are more directly, individually responsible for what we post.

-Burn at will
Anyone who wants a hard copy CD can go ahead and burn it. Whenever you want. Since I think someone may already have done the work of putting together artwork for an insert, maybe those of us who want to can buy these, buy our own jewel cases, and burn at will. The files will ultimately be in MP3 format - not ideal audio quality, I know, but the main point is to hear each other at all.

-Edit/Second thought capability
Decide later that you hate your tracks? Replace them/ditch them, etc.

I'm sure I'm missing some stuff (fried brain), but you get the basic drift. What do you think?

• Members

As Knock says, we've been discussing this all afternoon and I am still willing to be the point person. I have a Putfile account (that is where the test mp3's were hosted) and I also have a program that will convert wav's to mp3. If people want to send me files I am happy to upload them and maintain some kind of online database - titles, player, HCAG handle, guitar used, etc.

This does eliminate some of my concerns - if we are not charging for the music it should remove some of the copyright issues but I want to pursue this. There might be better places to host it - I'll pursue that also.

But in general, I like it....

• Members

Sorry, but it's not all the same to me. So I'm afraid you're in. Even if I can't get it together to re-record (bad equipment, bad neighbors, bad musician), I would very much like to get my hands on a copy of this thing when it is done, and it would be diminished for me if your tracks are not on the thing. We're a nutty bunch and sometimes we get a little overwrought about this crap - whatever "this crap" happens to be at any given moment. But we also inevitably swing back to the good kind of overwrought. Don't bail, yo.

Thanks Knock. I was in a pissed off mood this a.m. about some unrelated biz I was having to put up with. Turns out I was wrong about that as I am now. Geez, I could write volumes about things I've been wrong about. Maybe that's my true calling. I'll PM you when I need an editor.

• Members

I was in a pissed off mood this a.m. about some unrelated biz I was having to put up with. Turns out I was wrong about that as I am now. Geez, I could write volumes about things I've been wrong about. Maybe that's my true calling. I'll PM you when I need an editor.

When I'm in your position - a not infrequent occurrence - I call upon the words of Charles Barkley:

"I am often wrong, but I am never in doubt."

Dang, I wanna hear those tunes....

• Members

I like it too.

The idea of finding a better site than Putfile, one that can handle more digital-info-per-song, sounds like an especialy noble quest.

I'll drop my grudge against Clip now...

How about Soundclip? Lots of folks over on the electric forum seem to prefer it. Frankly, I'm more disappointed in Putfile than I am with Clip.

• Members
Fellers,

Might you consider an alternative to the hard copy CD thing? Namely, storing our recordings in some easily accessible online location like a PutFile account? I do not think I am the first person to suggest something like this as an alternative, but in light of recent complicating developments, I kicked the idea around some offline with FK this afternoon, and it seems to have a few advantages:

I really do not understand all the legalities, but it seems to me FK's concerns about being held particularly responsible in the event something goes nuts copyright-wise are legit, if he's the one compiling stuff. This way, we are more directly, individually responsible for what we post.

-Burn at will

Anyone who wants a hard copy CD can go ahead and burn it. Whenever you want. Since I think someone may already have done the work of putting together artwork for an insert, maybe those of us who want to can buy these, buy our own jewel cases, and burn at will. The files will ultimately be in MP3 format - not ideal audio quality, I know, but the main point is to hear each other at all.

I'm sure I'm missing some stuff (fried brain), but you get the basic drift. What do you think?

Great idea. CDs are the new 8-tracks. ;)

• Members
I guess I'm late to the party. I write and record as well. I didn't see anything in the way of details in this thread in regards to what type of material you are looking for and how to submit it by mail.
:confused:

Any old thing you want to send. The more the merrier.

• Members

Fellers,

-Burn at will

I like it.

Archived