VOM 5 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, June 8, 2008

Stackabones

• Members

I had already listened to a few of these earlier but here's my take on everyone so far. I gotta say, I really enjoy being a part of this community. From beginners to pros, there's a lot of variety but it's obvious we all love music - and that's a very good thing. Nice job to everyone!!

Chirpy72 - Nice guitar work and clarity. I always like to hear a good original tune.
Fussenkuh - Like you I have a hard time singing other people's songs, there's nothing wrong with that. Anyways, just putting your soul on the line for all to hear is a wonderful thing. Keep up the good work.
Stack - Great work, that sounded very good. I'm impressed.
guitarist21 - that was amazing clarity and picking - impressive for a girl ;)
mrmoe - again, I applaud the original song! Very nice rhythm, I enjoyed this one.
Sangemon - On the contrary, I enjoyed your voice. It has something extra that most hobbyists don't have. For 'just getting started', I think you are very much on the right track. Keep it going.
Kwak - That was a nice groove. Was that something original? Nice rugrat too - I will have one of them in July :eek:
bobc - song page wouldn't load for me. Don't know what's going on there.
OGP - I love that song and I also love the tone of your guitar! Nice version, the emotion was evident, I applaud.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Guitarist21 - cool! I've been struggling with some Bach on mandolin, so I can appreciate the work.

OldGuitarPlayer - nice version, very quiet in a good way.

rhythmdoctor - great tune - I love the guitar parts you put in there.

• Members

I have practiced playing this song before, but never challenged myself to add the vocals...so this is an attempt to do both...first time. My arrangement is similar to one done by Rani Arbo....the ending is mine.:)

Guild GF-25, H4 thru the external mic, a new not broken in set of nano's.
I was about 2 feet from the mic pointed down towards my guitar, washing machine going on in the background.

http://audio.xanga.com/c70man/c905d2321680/audio.html

Oh yeah, the song......."Thats All".

• Members

THis is all I can comment on for now....got home late last night...went to a gig my guitar teacher had with a piano player...and I just had a friend call me with two extra tickets for Stevie Nicks...so the wife and I are leaving in a few hours...anyhow, so far....

Chirpy........fun song and really well done! liked it a lot.

Fussenkuh.....cool lyrics.

Stack.....Love those chords dude!!!

Guitarist21.....I hadn't had any Bach in weeks! Not a bad way to start my morning...nice job.

MrMoe....Great lyrics, reminds me a little of SGoodman, especially at 3:05-09...cool lick!

Sangemon.....I will agree with you on the singing part...I'm sure its a lot easier with a capo....work on that "A"......youre playing definitely is coming along...good job.

Kwakatak....really like the tune, and especially that chop pattern.

BobC.....A really nice song and your playing is equal to the task!

OGP...That warms my heart dude!!! I have spent years playing his songs and trying to get them where I want them...When I play "City" I bump up the tempo...it makes it a lot easier to play and sing....

Rythmdoctor.....Like the song, like the chord progressions, like the dog. :)
Excellent job.

• Members

Kwak
- That was a nice groove. Was that something original? Nice rugrat too - I will have one of them in July
:eek:

Yup, though it takes elements from songs like the theme from "Midnight Cowboy" and "Whiter Shade of Pale." Like I said, I've been toying with the changes and rhythms. No words though.

As for the kids, you'll find that they're a joy up until the "terrible two's." Enjoy yours while s/he's little but keep yourself prepared for all contingencies.

• Members

Well, Father's Day is coming up so I'm deviating from the theme. Again.....

I was fortunate, in some ways, to have had two dads and unfortunate to have lost both while they were much too young. I very recently lost a friend and I know some of you have recently lost their dad so this is in memory of those fathers, lost too soon.

Here's my take on "Go Rest High On That Mountain'. Thank you Vince Gill, for a song that means so much to so many.

I set up my PA head so the setup is the same as I would use in a live gig, sans loudspeakers, so the mic is my normal live mic and the Ventura is plugged direct to the PA. I then ran the stereo out to the computer. Slight reverb set on the PA, just as I normally use live, nothing else.

• Members

Chirpy.... No takillya??? That's a fun tune. Thanks. Pop another top now.

Fussen.... You get a great big goat for the tune. Nice work.

Stack.... Great guitar work. Really nice touch.

Ellen.... Flat picked? Sweet! I love the acoustic guitar face too.

Mrmoe.... A dog I won't outlive??? Great lyric my friend.

Sangemon.... I could not get the tune to play.

Kwak... What can I say man. Love the whole scene. You have some licks.

Bobc.... That's a song I've never heard and your job makes me want to hear the original. That's a good thing. Nice work.

OGP.... Great take on that tune. Most people butcher it.

Rdoc. Nice original work. The guitar must really sound great 'cause it ain't no slouch on the vid. Nice pup.

Jandrew.... Whoa! Super job on that tune. It is, indeed, one of the saddest tunes ever written. I can seldom listen to the whole thing. It cuts too deep.

C70.... I'd have not noticed a clam. Sweet tone, as aways.

Garth.... Whistle too? Nice!

Sco.... Nice vibe. Rock solid with the tempo.

• Members

OldGuitarPlayer
I love that song, and you did a beautiful job on it.

rhythmdoctor
Very nice original. I love your originality and style.

jandrew
Loved that one. You have a very soothing voice. Nice job.

C70man
You definately made the challenge. Great job. Nice voice too.

garthman
Great job on this one. Loved it.

Scodiddly
I am definately digging this one. My foot was tapping the whole time. Great vox too.

daklander
Very touching song. My eyes started to well up on this one. Very nice use of vibrato in your voice too. Truely beautiful job.

• Members

Okay, Finally got the nerve up to do this, so here goes. I hope it works. I've been listening a bit this afternoon and man, wow, golly gee and all that jazz... But, what the hey?...

One guitar, one vocal, one take...

http://media.putfile.com/Tears-In-Heaven-84-45

Thought I would try this out. Kind of weak, but it's too late to back out now.

I'll post some kudos in a few minutes. Great stuff.

RT1

• Members

I hope I didn't forget anybody.

CHirpy 72 Made me want to hop in the old pick up truck and head straight for the border. Great Song

Stack- Just great. You have a super original style

Ellen- What can I say. You are growing so fast into the kind of musician you truly want to be. Very impressive.

Mr. Moe. Beautifal touching song. I love the imagery and the lyrics are great. One of the better originals I've heard in a while.

OGP. Love me some City of N.O. You really did it justice. Great version

Jandrew- Sam Stone is one of Prine's greatest songs. you did a very good job on it. Touching

Rhythm doctor- fine original. I love the feel and your riff was cool. Also, I really liked the changes

Kwak- Super cool chord progression. The makings of a very good original tune

bobc- excellent. loved it

Dak- As always, you are one with it, man. Very soulful and heartfelt.

C70- I was groovin' on it. Great voice too.

What a pleasant way to spend the afternoon! Thanks everybody for making my day.

• Members

Wow - I've listened to everybody's contributions. Absolutely wonderful. Two just blew me away. Bobc and RT1. I think I'll practice a bit more before I take a leap and post a song, but I truly enjoyed ALL efforts so far! Way better than those of us that lurk and don't post. My highest respect and thanks. Maybe next month for me.

}{awk

• Members

Well, I've had a chance to listen to a few tunes -- Man, an informal VOM1T
festival at some campground would be sooo worth it.

daklander -- you certainly got to me with that rendition
Scodiddly -- terrific playing and vocals, well done.
bobc -- that sounded pretty darn fine to me.
stackabones -- nice groove, I certainly dig your style (and skills)
guitarist21 -- I enjoyed that
OGP -- excellent version of a classic
mrmoe -- great song mrmoe
recordingtrack1 -- nice! sure glad you didn't back out!

I do believe I'll be adding a few tunes to my mp3 player for my late night
walks :)

cheers,
andrew

• Members

here's my rendition of "Try To Remember"

http://media.putfile.com/Try-To-Remember-43

I first heard the song in the mid-late 60's sung by The Brothers Four. Read more about the song here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Try_to_Remember

In my recording, I preface the song with a little warmup ditty I wrote in G major, I think it is an interesting segue into the main melody. You will recognize when Try To Remember starts......it's a slow, lovely melody with a spare and harmonically straightforward supporting line. This was recorded in one take.....couple of missed notes here and there, but overall I think the essence of the song comes through.

• Members

WOW!! I'm totally impressed, as always. Great music, everyone!

Here's my .02, recorded with Guild GAD-25:

House of the Rising Sun, by Huddie Ledbetter

EDIT: I pulled link after folks told me it somehow got corrupted and distorted. Will try again later if I can figure out what went wrong.

Archived