• Members

And here's one more congrats to all of you out there that
can
sing and play with ease... I envy and am inspired by all of you
:thu:

Chris

p.s. Hope the gig went well, Stack!

And a happy N.G.D. to you too!
Kudos for posting an original song. You seemed to hit a good groove during the chorus parts. Other than that I have learned that singing and playing at the same time is easier if you don't think too much about it and let it flow!

Thanks for listening!

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
24202.jpg
Click on pic for song.

I'm Just A Lucky So And So
Duke Ellington

VOM1T via Zoom H4.

Well I got worried because I couldn't see a photo then figured out my firewall was blocking. Great tune!! Awesome soloing!! Dug the harmonics at the end too!!

• Members

.....the Connecticut River Watershed Council started soliciting songs about or celebrating the Connecticut river....I'd never entered a songwriting contest before, but decided to write one for this.....

......oh, by the way....the song is called Connecticut and I am the author....

That was beautiful! I'm becoming a real fan of yours. Love your playing and singing.

• Members

Some good ones this month! (Aren't there always?) :D

Chirpy_72 - Nice opening sound effect, very atmospheric. :lol:

FussenKuh - Awesome! I'll definitely be humming that one for a while. Hmmm hmmm hmmmm, wanna see them goats, starin' back at meeeeeee.

Stackabones - Toe-tappin' head-bobbin' musical goodness, my man! How'd you get the percussion in the track?

guitarist21 - Stop being so much more awesome than me, you'll give me a complex. Very nicely done!

MrMoe - A very majestic song, makes me want to visit. I like your chances in the contest, good luck!

Sangemon - Nice! When using one mic I'd suggest placing it closer to your mouth so your voice comes through louder. Recording with one mic, a loud guitar, and a soft voice is a problem I'm all too familiar with. :D

kwakatak - Impressive! You have some focus to play that well with lil' Joe runnin' circles around you.

bobc - Very pleasing to the ear, I always enjoy songs with liberal use of hammer-ons. :thu:

OldGuitarPlayer - You can make your "beater" sound better than my best guitar. Unfair, I say! :p

rhythmdoctor - Your songs have sort of a unique "Manifesto-ish" quality to them. I like it. :thu:

jandrew - "Saddest song I know". No kiddin'! Wow. Nicely done, though, and it certainly fits the theme!

C70man - Your recordings always sound so good! No background hiss, and the guitar always sounds woody and warm and full. How do you do that? Great job!

garthman - Buffering buffering buffering... I'll try again in a bit...

Scodiddly - Awesome job! I must admit, I'd never really listened to any Tom Waits before the VOMs started, but now I'm definitely becoming a fan.

daklander - Impressive as always. :thu:

recordingtrack1 - Nice. One of the nicer renditions I've heard, in fact.

riffmeister - Ack! Too awesome! First Ellen, now riffmeister. I'm getting an overdose. :p

g6120 - Great job as always. Makes me feel lucky to have never known anyone with such a severe addiction.

pschaafs - I don't see the song on your page. Wha happah?

totamus - Great job! Another toe-tapper and finger-snapper!

knowspicker - Very nice! I really liked the song and performance, but there was this popping all through it. Did anyone else get that?

happy-man - Cooooool. I'm not really a Metallica fan, but that was really cool. Kinda' medieval-soundin'. :)

MattSkibaIsGOD - Nice! What does the "S" stand for on the FG730S? I'd assume "Spruce", but why add a letter to specify "Spruce" when there isn't a FG730 made out of anything else? Yamaha is just trying to confuse me. :p

Markuster - Nice! I wish I could play blues. Just can't seem to get the hang of it...

bransonb - That was fun, I really liked it! :lol:

Frets99 - It's great havin' you around the acoustic board, Frets! Great song, too!

SkySeven - Good job! And hey, at least you weren't as late as me!

• Members

As a rule I try not to comment on people's VOM offerings - they are all excellent and they demonstate the wealth of talent on this forum and, although we all have our individual musical preferences, it seems to me a little unfair to pick out some contributors for special mention . . . . .

. . . . however, every rule is broken occasionally and for this VOM, I must say that Daklander's contibution is superb: a lovely sad song, excellently played and sung with intense feeling. If there was a "Best of VOM" award it would surely be yours, my friend.

Thank you.

• Members

"Your recordings always sound so good! No background hiss, and the guitar always sounds woody and warm and full. How do you do that?"

Verence,

First off...thanks....I think the woody sound is more the guitar itself than anything else.

I sit on a loveseat with the H4 directly in front of me..aiming it towards the guitar. It doesn't seem to pick up too much noise from my surroundings. I have been experimenting with different settings on it, and still prefer to record using its external mics, rather than the internal 1/4" input. I probably need to read the manual and play around with settings though to get that feature right...

The acoustics in my living room are pretty good even though i prefer an area just in front of a closet in the hallway between the kitchen and the LR. Unfortunately, no room to move. I am going to try an outdoor VOM soon. I really like the sound I hear in a spacious environment.

• Members

Seems like I never get the opportunity to read through this thread until well after the VOM is complete...

Thank you to all who gave my little song a listen to and a special thanks to all who commented on and/or rated my YouTube video! I hope you enjoyed it!
(I apologize if I forgot to thank anyone)

Stackabones - Thanks for the "insta-Classic" label and the YouTube feedback :D Glad to hear the gig went well!

Chirpy_72 - Glad I got you laughing and thanks for the goat pic!

Sangemon - Thanks! It would be awesome to have it become the HCAGF theme song... or maybe just the HCAGF NGD thread theme song ;) And, I think I have a new set of Elixir Polyweb strings to thank for the nice sound.

threecar - Glad I could put a smile on your face

bobc - Thanks for the feedback. Ever so slowly I think I'm getting this singing and playing thing

guitarist21 - Thanks :) I can tell that I'm improving (at least with my own songs) but I always appreciate hearing more objective feedback from others :thu:

rhythmdoctor - It's comforting to hear that I'm not the only one who's had difficulty singing other peoples songs. Maybe next month I'll be able to pull it off!

Scodiddly - Thanks for listening. Like I mentioned earlier, it's always great to hear some objective feedback

C70man - I've never been able to capture any real feeling in any lyrics I've ever tried writing, but it's good to hear that at least some of my "odd" lyrics are enjoyable :)

daklander - I can't compete with your songs (good thing this isn't a competition!) but, thank you and I'll gladly take that nice big goat you offered.

knowspicker - Thanks. For me, playing and singing is a lot like like the old joke about being able to walk and chew gum at the same time. After years of practice, luckly, I've mastered the latter. Hopefully, I continue to get better at the former ;)

g6120 - Thanks for the positive feedback and the tip. I'll definitely keep it in mind as I continue to practice.

Verence - Glad I could get some lyrics stuck in your head :D Thanks for listening!

Now, I just have to try to get to listening all of the other entries that I've yet to hear!

• Members
Here is my submission for this month's VOM1T

'Wouldn't Be So Bad" - Alison Krauss & Union Station

http://web.mac.com/bodhi188/iWeb/Tom%27s%20Guitar%20Site/Wouldn%27t%20Be%20So%20Bad.html

Now I will warn you that I still really suck, and my singing goes beyond suck, but I do like this song, at least the way Alison and the fellas do it.

I was going to use the capo and do it the same key as the record, but I couldn't get the A chord sounding right with the capo so I took it off. Maybe that's why the vocal sounds so bad, I dunno. Also, my mic stand toppled over and although my LD condenser survived, my shock mount did not, so I had to record this with just one mic.

Please be kind, I'm still just getting started.
;)

PS: I tried putting this up on Soundclick, but they won't allow covers without a license, and that site just confused me.
:confused:

I'm sorry Sangemon but once again I do not have the proper software installed to hear your submission. I wish I could hear your stuff. This time I agreed to install the plug in but then it wanted me to download the complete software from Apple and I don't want to do that. Too much time and their siftware is redundant for me. Ever considered starting a free Soundclick account? That is a great alternative that seems to work for everyone.

• Members

Ok... Here is my
very poor
take on one of the two covers that I know.

Don't worry... I won't quit my day job...LOL

Hey bob, I'm baffled as to why you are calling this "very poor".

I listened to the entire song and it was AWESOME! You should be proud of that. Your playing was spot on and your vocal was damn near perfect for that song. I'm a big Bruce Cockburn fan too!

• Members

Once I again..I'm sorry for the crappy video/audio quality...
:cry:

I agree with Stack, that was a very moving rendition and certainly no need to apologize for it at the end! I had to struggle to hear the real performance with all the video noise but it's there. Sounds like you had your mic too close to something that made noise (a computer maybe)? Took me awhile to figure out that even the slightest background noise gets picked up by my mic. My computer sounds quiet to me but the mic picks it up as noise. You should re-record that rendition cleanly, it's well worth the effort!! Superb!

• Members

I'm sorry Sangemon but once again I do not have the proper software installed to hear your submission. I wish I could hear your stuff. This time I agreed to install the plug in but then it wanted me to download the complete software from Apple and I don't want to do that. Too much time and their siftware is redundant for me. Ever considered starting a free Soundclick account? That is a great alternative that seems to work for everyone.

Sorry about that, you are not the only one to have problems.

Try this.

• Members
In line with the "Pick your poison" theme, here is my take of John Prine's

"Sam Stone" ... easily the saddest song I know. (Recorded on the living

room couch with the Zoom H2):

http://www.siaris.net/music/SamStone.mp3

Now I get to go listen to all of you ...
:)

cheers,

andrew

Well it was worth the wait to download the mp3. That was superb rendition of a great John Prine song. I recently purchased that record on CD so have been listening again. This one is one of my favorites for sure!! Thanks for your great rendition!

• Members
I have practiced playing this song before, but never challenged myself to add the vocals...so this is an attempt to do both...first time. My arrangement is similar to one done by Rani Arbo....the ending is mine.
:)

Guild GF-25, H4 thru the external mic, a new not broken in set of nano's.

I was about 2 feet from the mic pointed down towards my guitar, washing machine going on in the background.

http://audio.xanga.com/c70man/c905d2321680/audio.html

Oh yeah, the song......."Thats All".

SWEEET! I really enjoyed that (you shoulda just played through the screw up and nobody would know...lol) Can't get over the beautiful guitar arrangement and you singing was superbly done! Liked your ending too!! Can you tell I'm a fan?

• Members

Hello all.

An attempt at "One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong" by Mr Leonard Cohen. Played on my BM Espana classical guitar in standard D tuning. Recorded with Audacity via my trusty headset mic.

Hope it's OK.

Gareth

Beautiful take on this great Cohen song Gareth!!

Love the quality of your playing and especially your singing and vocal tone.

You sound a bit like the Bob Dylan that sang "Lay Lady Lay"

Love it! and nice whistling too!

• Members

Alcohol, eh? I was planning on doing something else, but I've been dragged back to doing a Tom Waits song. "Jockey Full of Bourbon" recorded in one and only one take right into my minidisc recorder. Let the computer hassles get sorted out in post, ya know?

Superb!! I like your version better than mine!! One thing about Tom Waits songs is that I can't figure out how to sing them in my own voice and you figured it out!! Great stuff. I have a version of this if you want to see it on my Tom Waits Covers channel. My vocal is very forced though.

• Members

Well, Father's Day is coming up so I'm deviating from the theme. Again.....

I was fortunate, in some ways, to have had two dads and unfortunate to have lost both while they were much too young. I very recently lost a friend and I know some of you have recently lost their dad so this is in memory of those fathers, lost too soon.

Here's my take on
. Thank you Vince Gill, for a song that means so much to so many.

I set up my PA head so the setup is the same as I would use in a live gig, sans loudspeakers, so the mic is my normal live mic and the Ventura is plugged direct to the PA. I then ran the stereo out to the computer. Slight reverb set on the PA, just as I normally use live, nothing else.

Very very nice song. Thanks for that moving rendition!

• Members

Okay, Finally got the nerve up to do this, so here goes. I hope it works. I've been listening a bit this afternoon and man, wow, golly gee and all that jazz... But, what the hey?...

One guitar, one vocal, one take...

Thought I would try this out. Kind of weak, but it's too late to back out now.

I'll post some kudos in a few minutes. Great stuff.

RT1

Well I don't hear any weakness there. Sounds like you poured your heart into the performance of this very sad and moving song. Superb song and you conveyed the emotion!

Archived