VOM 5 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, June 8, 2008

Stackabones

• Members

here's my rendition of "Try To Remember"

I first heard the song in the mid-late 60's sung by The Brothers Four. Read more about the song here:

In my recording, I preface the song with a little warmup ditty I wrote in G major, I think it is an interesting segue into the main melody. You will recognize when Try To Remember starts......it's a slow, lovely melody with a spare and harmonically straightforward supporting line. This was recorded in one take.....couple of missed notes here and there, but overall I think the essence of the song comes through.

Absolutley beautiful!! Enjoyed every second of that beautfiul arrangement and really like your warm up opening too!

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Gil.... I had to go to your Neil Young site to get the tune to play. ???

You cover Young about as good as, or better than, anyone. Good job.

Quite a compliment coming from you Dak and I surely do appreciate it a lot!

Thank You for taking the time to seek it out and give a listen!

I posted the stereo version which doesn't work if you don't have the latest Adobe Flash player plug in (which is free and easy to upgrade BTW)

• Members

That was sweeeet!! Some fine pickin' there! I only wish the audio was better. I've never heard that song but from where I was sitting I was reminded of a Doc Watson performance in your delivery. Doc is one of my heroes. Gret song and I like the solo break at about the 2:57 mark!

• Members
Great Job Gil, that was dead-on perfect.

:thu:

Thanks so much! Obviously I love the songs of neil Young but I have never submitted one to VOM1T before so I thought I would take a chance with this one. I'm trying to submit a variety of stuff to VOM1T because understandably I tend to get pigeonholed as the Neil Young cover guy.
So next month something different from me. Thanks again!!

• Members

That was sweeeet!! Some fine pickin' there! I only wish the audio was better. I've never heard that song but from where I was sitting I was reminded of a Doc Watson performance in your delivery. Doc is one of my heroes. Gret song and I like the solo break at about the 2:57 mark!

I have the capability to record in extremely high quality, but I am lazy and just turn on the web cam recorder on my laptop. I am torn between doing a higher quality audio only or having the video as well.

Thanks for the kind words Gil. As an aside, "Needle and the Damage Done" is the song that made me decide to learn guitar. I still play it - a great tune.

• Members

I have the capability to record in extremely high quality, but I am lazy and just turn on the web cam recorder on my laptop. I am torn between doing a higher quality audio only or having the video as well.

Thanks for the kind words Gil. As an aside, "Needle and the Damage Done" is the song that made me decide to learn guitar. I still play it - a great tune.

Well you can have the best of both.

Use the camera to take the video WHILE you are recording the high quality audio. Then use a movie making software like NeroVision (even Windows Movie Maker will work but degrades quality of audio) and insert your video clip and audio track into a movie project. Sync it up by ear and trimming. Then turn off the video sound. The export to a high quality MPEG-2 using LPCM audio. That gives yo a video that uses your high qulaity audio. That's what I do.

Except I go one step further and convert that MPEG-2 (DVD quality) file down to a mp4 file using aac stereo audio. These smaller files are musch easier ti upload and is what YouTube converts to anyway.

The large MPEG-2 files I keep for burning onto DVD and listening on a home theater through my DVD player. Audio is soooo much better than what you hear from me on YouTube. The difference is very noticeable.

BTW I use AnyVideoConverter Pro to do the mp4 conversion. I've tried others but this is the best and easiest.

• Members

Superb!! I like your version better than mine!! One thing about Tom Waits songs is that I can't figure out how to sing them in my own voice and you figured it out!! Great stuff. I have a version of this if you want to see it on my Tom Waits Covers channel. My vocal is very forced though.

Thanks, that does mean a lot. I think that the real key to covering Waits is to figure out what your own voice really is - I can do a pretty good impression of him, but it just sounds lame when I do it that way.

• Members

Many people had been asking if there was any kind of search capability in the archive site that could be used to find tunes by specific people or specific titles across all of the months.

I finally got around to coding a search engine for the archive site.

You'll notice there is now a "Search" item on the menu bar. Clicking it will take you to the search page. It's pretty self explanitory, your basic phrase comparison. Whatever you type in the box will be found in every place the phrase appears on the site. The more specific your search the more targeted is your results.

Useful for:

1) Finding a tune by a specific performer
2) Finding if a title has been done before
3) Finding particular "credits"
4) Phrases used in the description

.. Basically whatever trips your trigger..

One bad thing I did discover when I coded this new capability...

Some submitters have either moved or pulled their submissions to previous VOMs. This is kinda a bad thing because since the archive site DOES NOT store the performances locally, it depends on the links you submitted to find the submission. If you move or delete it, obviously, it is lost to the archive site and people aren't gonna hear you.

Our friend Gil (g6120) has shuffled around his youtube locations and we're missing his previous submissions as a result. :cop: There may be others but I didn't do a search to find them all.

If anyone has moved a previous entry, just provide me with the link's new location and I will be happy to update the archive site. You can use the new search engine, just type in your nickname and it will show you everything you ever submitted. Easy to find what is missing then.

• Members
Many people had been asking if there was any kind of search capability in the archive site that could be used to find tunes by specific people or specific titles across all of the months.

I finally got around to coding a search engine for the archive site.

You'll notice there is now a "Search" item on the menu bar. Clicking it will take you to the search page. It's pretty self explanitory, your basic phrase comparison. Whatever you type in the box will be found in every place the phrase appears on the site. The more specific your search the more targeted is your results.

Useful for:

1) Finding a tune by a specific performer

2) Finding if a title has been done before

3) Finding particular "credits"

4) Phrases used in the description

.. Basically whatever trips your trigger..

One bad thing I did discover when I coded this new capability...

Some submitters have either moved or pulled their submissions to previous VOMs. This is kinda a bad thing because since the archive site DOES NOT store the performances locally, it depends on the links you submitted to find the submission. If you move or delete it, obviously, it is lost to the archive site and people aren't gonna hear you.

Our friend Gil (g6120) has shuffled around his youtube locations and we're missing his previous submissions as a result.
:cop:
There may be others but I didn't do a search to find them all.

If anyone has moved a previous entry, just provide me with the link's new location and I will be happy to update the archive site. You can use the new search engine, just type in your nickname and it will show you everything you ever submitted. Easy to find what is missing then.

Sorry about that. I wasn't even thinking about the archiving aspect.
Here's new links for each:

IMAGINE - John Lennon Cover

www.livevideo.com/media/commentmedia.aspx?cid=603AE98ECAEE4C6F816593E66AB55365

LEAVIN' SOON - Original

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=oUDmGecBxi8

• Members

Thank you everyone for what appears to be another great turnout. I love checking out everyone's tunes... Even if it is a bit late. I've said this befoe, but, seeing/hearing so much quality music keeps me inspired to keep trying to improve on my own playing. I think I've picked up from where I've left off, however, if I've missed anyone, I'm sorry.

bobc - Very nice playing. Thanks for introducing me to Bruce Cockburn

OldGuitarPlayer - You make it look so easy... thanks for the inspiration!

rhythmdoctor - That's got a nice sound to it. Keep up the good work! Oh, and your dog looks cool too ;)

jandrew - Wow, you weren't kidding about the "Saddest song I know." statement. Nicely covered.

C70man - You've got such a nice and soothing sound to your playing and singing! Thanks for sharing. (LOL at the "I just screwed up" way to keep to the one-take spirit :thu:)

garthman - You know, I've only ever heard covers of Leonard. Seems like I should try to track down some of his original tracks. Well done!

Scodiddly - I'm going to steal Verence's thoughts... I'd never really listened to any Tom Waits before the VOMs started, but now I'm definitely becoming a fan. Great work!

daklander - 2nd time listening through this tune... kinda nice to hear it again on Fathers Day. Simply Beautiful!

recordingtrack1 - Nice rendition! Keep up the great work!

riffmeister - Bravo! Well played. I really enjoyed the extra intro you added :thu:

g6120 - Nice job with the cover. To my ears, you nailed it! And, thanks for the back story on how the song came into existence. I always lover learning stuff like that.

pschaafs - Hmmm... I can't seem to find the song :(

totamus - Another great one. I always love hearing your stuff!

knowspicker - Nice work Knowspicker. That finger picking sounds nice. It's just unfortunate that there was some sort of popping that kept showing it's ugly head throughout the song :(

happy-man - Well played! I've always been a huge Metallica fan. I'm sure I'll be listening to this rendition again and again.

MattSkibaIsGOD - Great job. That Yamaha sounds fantastic :thu:

Markuster - I love listing to some good blues... and this here is some good stuff. Thanks for sharing!

bransonb - Back to back blues tunes on the VOM... nice! Great work with both the playing and lyrics!

Frets99 - I love the comment intros in your videos! I'd buy some of that strap spray. Oh, and the song was great as well ;)

SkySeven - Nice job! You can tell by simply watching the video that this is a song you really enjoy playing/singing.

Verence - And, I think, last but not least, the final VOM of the evening (morning?). Well played, Verence! I love the sound of your guitar :thu: And, you get bonus points for honoring with the one-take rule

• Members
Oh God,
no
!
:eek:

I
need
those !
:cry:

:idk: Ok, ok... I'll return them :lol:

Scodiddly - Not related to Verence's thoughts at all, you (and others who have covered Mr. Waits on these VOMs) have opened my ears to Tom Waits. Ever so slowly, I'm becoming a fan. Great work!

• Members

Well believe it or not I have been back twice to finish listening and when I try and leave a response I get the Harmony is temporarily unavailable screen!
This happening to anyone else?
I'm going to give it another try right now and see if I can finish!

• Members

knowspicker - Great song! I really enjoyed listening to this song I have never heard before. A great meaningful lyric. Thanks for posting!

happy-man - Sweet sounding 12 string there!

MattSkibaIsGOD - Superb rendition! You did that song great justice and made it your own!

Markuster - Well that was bad to the bone! Really enjoyed that. You are quite a bluesman!

bransonb - Your tune had me grooving along with it. Great Blues!!

Frets99 - Enjoyed you rendition of that song! I've heard the song before but embarrassed to admit I can't remeber who the original artist is!!

SkySeven - Love that song! Great rendition!!

Verence - I'm always struck by how unique your songs are. Thoroughly enjoyable!!

I think that is everyone! What a great VOM and look forward to the next one.

Archived