VOM 5 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, June 8, 2008

Stackabones

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Garthman, your song has an extra cool vibe about it, something about the sound of that drop tuned nylon string guitar (are you using a pick?) and your voice make for a very interesting piece.

Thanks Riff. The guitar is tuned two semitones down from standard E tuning to DGCFAD. I'm fingerpicking "A" chord shapes (A/D/E/Bm/F#m/C#m) so the sounding key is G.

Mr Cohen uses low tunings quite a lot - he likes the the low root note on the bass E string - I think he actually tunes down to standard Bb (!) on a couple of songs.

• Members

Garthman....Very Nice...and what is it about songs written in D?

Thanks C70man. The song is actually played in the key of G but I have my guitar tuned down two semitones to standard D (DGCFAD) and I'm playing A shape chords.

Excellent work, everyone - it is amazing how much talent there is on this forum.

And shall we all say a big thank you to Stack for inventing VOM? - a great idea!

Frets.. Gotta say, I love the candor in your vids. Tune was cool too.

Quick question for you, what guitar were you sporting there? I should recognize it by I'm embarrassed to say that I do not.

Don't be! That's an early 80's Ovation Matrix. Their big claim to fame was an aluminum neck. Mine was made after that wave and has an a rosewood fretboard. I rescued it from an attic where it had been left for years when I bought it at a flea market.

• Members
Tom Paxton's Rambling Boy...

[YOUTUBE]lRIByRZ2maE[/YOUTUBE][/quote

I saved this to last ....Nice job...I need to drag out my old vinyl on him. Tom Paxton was a Chicago native and quite an influence on the music of his era. I'm embarrased to say I damn near forgot how good he is. I was introduced to him by Steve Goodman. Not in the flesh, but Steve played guitar for him from time to time. Steve is given guitar credit on a few of his albums too. Tom has recorded a few of Steve's songs over the years. Paxton's personal favorite album was called, "New Songs from the Briarpatch", in which Steve does guitar and vocals with him...Paxton wrote a poem for Steve after his death and also performed at the Steve Goodman Tribute. How could I not like the guy.....Thanks for the reminder...now where are those records?

• Members

Ah! I'm late! Now I know that everyone likes the picking part of this song, but frankly I am more into the lyrical melody, and hence underplay the guitar.

I hope you enjoy!

Romeo and Juliet (Dire Straits)

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Leonard would approve. Good job.

Thanks Dave - your Chelsea Hotel is great too. We obviously both decided it was time to hit these guys with some of the Master's songs (no pun intended - but maybe next time).

• Members
I have practiced playing this song before, but never challenged myself to add the vocals...so this is an attempt to do both...first time. My arrangement is similar to one done by Rani Arbo....the ending is mine.
:)

Guild GF-25, H4 thru the external mic, a new not broken in set of nano's.

I was about 2 feet from the mic pointed down towards my guitar, washing machine going on in the background.

http://audio.xanga.com/c70man/c905d2321680/audio.html

Oh yeah, the song......."Thats All".

C70man - Sounds real good although I was expecting the Genesis song "That's All" ... I was all excited to how someone arranged the electric piano for guitar ... but I digress.

My favorite lyric "Opps, I just screwed up" ;)

PS - The Guild sounds fantastic, and the playing sounds equally as good. As I said before to some other posters, I am so jealous of you guys who excel at Jazzy guitar work.
:thu:

• Members

Frets99 - You definitely need to be hosting a TV show with your camera presence.

Anyway, great song and great version of it. Your vocals smooth and relaxed as was your playing.

PS - I was scared for a second that you were going to show a tatoo that wasn't on your arm ! ;)

• Members
C70man - Sounds real good although I was expecting the Genesis song "That's All" ... I was all excited to how someone arranged the electric piano for guitar ... but I digress.

My favorite lyric "Opps, I just screwed up"
;)

PS - The Guild sounds fantastic, and the playing sounds equally as good. As I said before to some other posters, I am so jealous of you guys who excel at Jazzy guitar work.

Thanks, and that goes to everyones comments...it gives me that extra Umph to keep pluggin away. ....

Now about the Genesis song...I'll look into it.

• Members

Ack, way late on this one.

But it's definitely in the VOM1T spirit, with lots of mistakes, and pausing (when I forget lyrics), and general confusion. :p

Red Right Ankle - A(nother) Decemberists cover (I know I said I'd do something different this month, but I left it too long and had nothing else on short notice).

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=820559&songID=6619073

• Members

Ok gang it's a wrap!

VOM V is now updated on the archive site at http://ifr-hcag.infocusreviews.com

For all submitters, please help us spread the work of the monthly VOM by displaying the archive site link in your HC tag line.

The talent in these VOMs keeps getting better and better. I like to try and adress each one, but my fingers are a bit worn out working on all these entries! :) - I will try to do that a little later.

Good show, one and all!

• Members
Hey, you missed me!

Yikes! :eek:

I sure the heck did, no offense intended my friend. Odd, I distinctly remember listening to your tune and typing in your entry. Only excuse I can offer is that evidently I forgot to save it.

Yea folks, I ain't perfect. If I had a dime for everytime I screwed up I'd be a very rich man. Please make sure your entry IS included and correct. If not, do not be afraid to pipe up as everyone belongs in there.

Sorry Scodiddly, but it is now corrected. Thanks for the heads up.

• Members

Well, Father's Day is coming up so I'm deviating from the theme. Again.....

I was fortunate, in some ways, to have had two dads and unfortunate to have lost both while they were much too young. I very recently lost a friend and I know some of you have recently lost their dad so this is in memory of those fathers, lost too soon.

Here's my take on
. Thank you Vince Gill, for a song that means so much to so many.

I set up my PA head so the setup is the same as I would use in a live gig, sans loudspeakers, so the mic is my normal live mic and the Ventura is plugged direct to the PA. I then ran the stereo out to the computer. Slight reverb set on the PA, just as I normally use live, nothing else.

Dak - what a great job there. You're voice is so expessive. Thanks for that

Frets99 - You definitely need to be hosting a TV show with your camera presence.

Anyway, great song and great version of it. Your vocals smooth and relaxed as was your playing.

PS - I was scared for a second that you were going to show a tatoo that wasn't on your arm !
;)

:D

Thank you! Dad always said I had a good face for radio!

• Members

Frets99...I couldn't take my eyes off that 1/2 empty bottle of Aunt Jamima's pancake syrup....you shouldn't drink so much of that just before a VOM.;)

Great sense of humor...oh yeah, liked the song too.

• Members

Thanks Dak - I am a Paxton fan also. And yeah, been doing my share of ramblin. Which reminds me of another Paxton song I love - " I Can't Help But Wonder Where I'm Bound"...

Speak of the devil....

Here's Dakota Night's version of " I Can't Help But Wonder Where I'm Bound" from about a dozen years ago. I have the third verse, back ups and rhythm guitar.

• Members
Thanks, and that goes to everyones comments...it gives me that extra Umph to keep pluggin away. ....

You are a fine guitarist and singer. I know I couldn't sing and play that tune at the same time as well as you did. I for one say "keep pluggin away"!! :D

As for the "oops" part...;)

That made it fell even more like a real open mic...we have all been there and I liked that you left it in. It makes it more genuine. My initial takes of City Of New Orleans were more like "train wrecks"...:lol: To be honest...I find it less nerve racking playing in front of a live audience as opposed to a recording device...:freak:

Excellent work! :thu:

• Members
here's my rendition of "Try To Remember"

In my recording, I preface the song with a little warmup ditty I wrote in G major, I think it is an interesting segue into the main melody. You will recognize when Try To Remember starts......it's a slow, lovely melody with a spare and harmonically straightforward supporting line. This was recorded in one take.....couple of missed notes here and there, but overall I think the essence of the song comes through.

I know I commented on this briefly by just endorsing another's comments. And while there was waves of really cool music in this session by everyone this piece really stood out for me.

I went back and listened to it again today and this is just plain out old fashioned excellent guitar work, beautiful melody with excellent flow and expression. A top notch performance. Very well done.

• Members

I was fortunate, in some ways, to have had two dads and unfortunate to have lost both while they were much too young. I very recently lost a friend and I know some of you have recently lost their dad so this is in memory of those fathers, lost too soon.

Here's my take on
"Go Rest High On That Mountain'

I set up my PA head so the setup is the same as I would use in a live gig, sans loudspeakers, so the mic is my normal live mic and the Ventura is plugged direct to the PA. I then ran the stereo out to the computer. Slight reverb set on the PA, just as I normally use live, nothing else.

Very good song, great emotion - I LOVE your voice, a lot of character in that voice of yours :thu: Thanks for sharing.

• Members

Here's my take on

Dak - I somehow forgot to add my comments about your submission. A lot of emotion contained in those chords and melody ... great job. You made me tear up a little ... but not too much cuz I'm a man!

Great job !

• Members

Did I hear the theme could be alcohol related ?

Here's my submission, an original called "Going Down In Mexico".

The lead vocals and rhythm guitar were recorded in one take. The backing vox and solo guitar is overdubbed.

- enjoy

Chad

Nice one Chad! The story the song tells really makes you want to hear how it ends! Great playing, singing and production!

Archived