VOM 5 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, June 8, 2008

Stackabones

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Singing and Playing: The Saga Continues...

Last month many of you were brave enough to listen to my overdubbed vocals on a tune. This month I bring you a "performance" complete with singing and playing in a single take (which will be really easy to tell once you hear it ;) ).

Oddly enough (or maybe it's normal?) my mind still can't work out singing and playing someone else's tunes. As a result, I resorted to making up my own silly little song entitled "The N.G.D. Song." If you can overlook the poor singing and rough chord changes, I'm hoping you might find an amusing enough song to listen through ;)

[YOUTUBE]M2go0IOYiWA[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks for listening!

And here's one more congrats to all of you out there that can sing and play with ease... I envy and am inspired by all of you :thu:

Chris

p.s. Hope the gig went well, Stack!

• Members

Chad -- is that a bottle/can opening at the beginning? What are ya drinking? Dig the ending!

Chris -- Insta-Classic!!! :thu: btw, gig went really really well. Some great stuff happened, musically and socially!

Ellen -- too cool. Is that your arrangement?

• Members

Chris, I love the song. It had me laughing ... especially the sound fx at the end ( and the pygmy goat reference too ). This is for you:

goat.jpg

Ellen, If you were playing that through a Stratocaster through a Marshall stack AND put on 250lbs, you'd be this guy:

yngwie-malmsteen-002.jpg

( Yngwie Malmsteen, heavy metal-bach enthusiast )

Good job !

Mr Baker ( aka Stack ) Wow ! Love those melodic chord voicings. Great song, cool vibe. ( and yes, that's a beer cap being popped ... Stella Artois )

• Members

Wow, Stack as always a great song you should be famous. Chad what a great song early Jimmy Buffett style "Tampico Trauma". FussenKuh I laughed my freakin ass off through your song thanks. Ellen you are famous glad we got to know this first.:thu:

• Members

Here is my submission for this month's VOM1T.

'Wouldn't Be So Bad" - Alison Krauss & Union Station

http://web.mac.com/bodhi188/iWeb/Tom%27s%20Guitar%20Site/Wouldn%27t%20Be%20So%20Bad.html

Now I will warn you that I still really suck, and my singing goes beyond suck, but I do like this song, at least the way Alison and the fellas do it.

I was going to use the capo and do it the same key as the record, but I couldn't get the A chord sounding right with the capo so I took it off. Maybe that's why the vocal sounds so bad, I dunno. Also, my mic stand toppled over and although my LD condenser survived, my shock mount did not, so I had to record this with just one mic.

Please be kind, I'm still just getting started. ;)

PS: I tried putting this up on Soundclick, but they won't allow covers without a license, and that site just confused me. :confused:

• Members

Chirpy 72 - Funny song. Reminded me of a weekend I spent in Ensenada once. The heavy breathing got me giggling. Well done!

Chis - I have the same problem with singing, only mine is worse because I can't even sing the right notes. Great effort, and your song is hilarious, it should be the HCAGF theme song. Your guitar sounds lovely!

Stack - You are a lucky so and so, because you have talent! I love the smooth bluesy style. Very mellow.:thu:

Ellen - After having struggled for a while to learn "Simple Gifts" I can't imagine effort it must take to learn a piece like that play it from memory. Very impressive, and your face is an open book, I love that about your videos.

Mrmoe - Great song! Can you post the chords and lyrics, I'd like to learn that one. "...and a dog that outlives me..." Fantastic lyric! And played impeccably. :thu: Thank you.

• Members

Chirpy_72

Nice original. Real good vibe to this one. I wanna go to Mexico now...:)

FussenKuh

That was cool. You seem to be doing quite well with singing and playing at the same time.

Stackabones

Great job on this one. I never heard this song before, but I dig the feel you put on it.

guitarist21

Very cool. I can tell you practice alot girl...:) Nice job!

mrmoe

Wow! You have a very original tone to your voice, and this is a great original. I'm a fan...:)

Sangemon

Nice job. You far from suck my friend. Your doing great, and you don't need to be so shy with your voice either. It's good, as is your playing.

kwakatak

That was fun. I love the rythm and the chord changes. The kid running around was a nice touch. Very entertaining.

• Members

Mr Moe - I loved it, the imagery, your voice and the subject all pulled together great. BTW - has anyone ever told you that you sound a lot like Cat Stevens?

Sangemon - I wish I sounded as good as you when I was first starting out. You are doing a big thing by learning to play and sing at the same time. Recording yourself ( and putting your efforts out for the WORLD to see ) is one of the best things you can do to make big improvements in ability. You rock !

Neil - I really liked it ... are there words? I seem to remember watching another vid of you playing to your rugrat who was sitting in his high chair nursing a bottle. As the kid gets sturdier on his feet have him dance for us while you play.

• Members

Wow, so early in the day and already so many entries to listen to!

Chirpy_72 - Nice original tune :thu: I love the little story it told and I liked the little solo outtro... I just wish there was more of it.

Stackabones - Another great song Stack! I absolutely love the solo you have in there. Once again, it's an insperation to keep me practicing.

guitarist21 - I agree with Chirpy_72's statement. Watch out Yngwie ;) Great job! Your stuff is always fun to listen to.

kwakatak - Don't sell yourself short Kwak. $0.98? I'd say that song is worth at least $1.50! J/K ;) I really liked the tune, man. I didn't even pick up on the fact that you said you forgot the song halfway through. Oh, and it looks like you have yourself a cute kid too!

mrmoe - Cool entry! I love your voice with this song :thu: Here's hoping you win the contest!

Sangemon - Still really suck, eh? Hardly! I agree with what bobc said. You're doing great!

• Members

.....by the way, for those not familiar with the Connecticut River - "......Bellows to Turners and over the falls" refers to Bellows Falls, Vermont and Turners Falls, Massachusetts....

• Members

mrmoe -- I like it when a song gives you a sense of place. Well done. Is that a 12-string solo?

Sangemon -- everything's coming along nicely. Takes some cajones to offer up some music. I know that at 11 weeks I still thought that all the guitar tuners had to go in the same direction. Clever tune to pick. ;)

Kwak -- loved the tune. Babysitting, huh?

bobc -- man, that was cool. Quit doggin' yerself.

I think for VOM 6 I'm gonna put up a rule! VOMers are not allowed to make any critical judgments of their own submissions! :cop:

;)

• Members

Well..here is my contribution. It was recorded live with my "beater" Yamaha F-315A. I have to admit it took more than "one take" and I still managed to screw it up...:mad:

My sincere apologies to Arlo and the late Mr. Goodman...:freak:

City Of New Orleans - Steve Goodman

[YOUTUBE]K7He1giAlYs[/YOUTUBE]

Once I again..I'm sorry for the crappy video/audio quality...:cry:

• Members

Okay here we go. This could get long.

Fussenkuh: Keep up the good work! That was a very funny song. You're not bad at singing and playing at the same time! I detected practically no tempo issues, which is usually the biggest problem.

Stack: I loved the groove you had. Was that a drum track?

mrmoe: VOM isn't really a songwriting contest, but if it was I think you'd win. :thu: Cool tune, I liked how it really created a mood.

Sangemon: Great song choice! Allison Krauss is one of my favorites. Good work!

Kwak: Good to see you (and the youngins) on the VOM! I absolutely loved your song. It was so laid back and cool. I can't imagine how you keep your composure with kids running around. If that was the case for me, this would be like the VOM427T.

bobc I liked it! Not poor at all!

OGP Tons of feeling in that song. Very nice.

Ellen, If you were playing that through a Stratocaster through a Marshall stack AND put on 250lbs, you'd be this guy:

yngwie-malmsteen-002.jpg
( Yngwie Malmsteen, heavy metal-bach enthusiast )

Good job !

Thanks! Glad I don't look like Yngwie though. ;)

Ellen

• Members

Stack
: I loved the groove you had. Was that a drum track?

That was a drum machine, a Boss DR-5, and I ran it through a powered PA speaker -- though the git & vox were acoustic. IIRC it was a bossa setting with tempo around 50.

I've been experimenting with finding different feels and arrangements to some of the standards I perform. Trying to find something that feels right ... some kind of quasi gutbucket bossa soul feel. Not sure where it's going, but I'm having fun getting there. :)

Archived