• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
In line with the "Pick your poison" theme, here is my take of John Prine's

"Sam Stone" ... easily the saddest song I know. (Recorded on the living

room couch with the Zoom H2):

http://www.siaris.net/music/SamStone.mp3

Now I get to go listen to all of you ...
:)

cheers,

andrew

Andrew - I love it. I haven't listened to this song in a few years, almost forgot how good it is.

:cool::cool:

• Members

Ellen,

I LOL'd at this part of you Youtube summary before my second listen:

This is a Bach Double for solo violin that I had to learn for school last semester. I mess up a lot, but it's in keeping with the "one take" nature of the HCAG open mic.

followed by the search tags:

ellen angelico is home playing bach acoustic guitar flatpicking very sloppy but melodic nonetheless

With that in mind, I positively loved this take because it made something hit home about the whole open mic experience. I'm beginning to realize that open mics aren't recitals; it's an informal sharing experience that doesn't necessarily have to be so serious.

In my local open mics there's this kid who cracks me up every time he gets up there:

[YOUTUBE]LFAWpfr_HoY[/YOUTUBE]

Sorry to stray "OT" but I'm slightly "PUI" because the kids are in bed!

*thinks about having a second beer* :freak:

• Members

Okay, I've picked up listening where I left off. Great stuff everybody.

Riffmeister- You're playing makes me want to say the "D" word.....DANG! Man, you're good. I am truly envious.

G1620- You do that song quite well. Very impressive.

Totamus- You really got a great picking style and impeccable timing. I really enjoyed your playing.

Happyman- I loved your guitar sound, but the best thing is your voice. It is superb. I hope you take this as a compliment, because I truly mean it.

Knowspicker- Great song. I like your laid back style.

pschaafs- Like sparhawk mentioned earlier, I'm having problems getting your submission to play in the right time. It is super slow and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Anyway, keep'em coming ya'll. This is lots of fun!

RT1

• Members

Just got back from the concert... so here's an update...

Jandrew.....Prine is a old favorite of mine...actually got to meet him a couple of times...that being said, I was actually considering it for VOM, but after listening to yours, I think it was better I waited...very nice job!

Garthman....Very Nice...and what is it about songs written in D?

Scodiddly...Tom Waits is one of those song writers not easy to cover...But not for you....a very nice job.

DAK...Your voice is starting to work on me...your choice of song really fits your vocal qualities well....Great job.

Recordingtrack1....I especially liked your guitar work. The wife listened in and said to give you an extra Star for song choice....nice job.

Riffmeister....I like both melodies and as usual, your playing was superb. I would develop the segue as a standalone song.

G6120....When it comes to Neal...well as someone else put it....Your dead on!
Why do I think about your stuff when I put on a Neal song these days? Hmmm....Another great job.

Pschaffs...I'm not familiar with the music, but I like it. Nice job.

Knowspicker....good song, good effort.

HappyMan...Nice job with that "handmade" mic. I liked the song too.

• Members

I'm impressed as usual and really enjoy the VOM1T. It helps to get me off the book.

Riff... you are the Meister. I thoroughly enjoyed it and it makes me want to practice more.

Stack - I really like your style of playing. It's kind of what I originally wanted to learn but then I ended up doing what I'm doing. Nice.

Chirpy - I really liked that one, melody and lyrics.

Ellen - very nice. I like the sound of flatpicking classical.

Mr. Moe - great original. I like the style and the lyric rock.

Sangemon - thanks for a nice song. Now, I want to learn that one

Totamus - I really like the way you pick. My dad inlaw is a grasser and he would be impressed.

bobc - your a liar. You are so far from sucking :) seriously I think you did a great job on this song. Very nice singing. I liked it better than the original.

RT1 - Excellent job on a song that is very close to my heart.

Fussunkuh - keep it up. I liked the song. I also had to relearn how to sing when I started playing again. It's wierd how one or the other is easier than both. Keep it going your doin fine.

Garthman - I love Mr. Cohen. thanks, good job.

Scodiddly - I loved it. I hadn't heard that song before and your playing and singing were really nice.

Daklander - great song, I like your voice.

rhythym doc - nice original.

jandrew - I love Prine and you did an excellent job on this one.

Old Guitar Player - nice job on a classic song.

MattSkiba - I enjoyed your rendition of that song.

C70 - very nice melody

Thanks everyone great work people.

• Members

Haven't had a chance to listen to everyone yet, but it looks like another good turnout!

Got myself into a big home improvement project this weekend, but I spit this out after getting cleaned up. It's not my best, but it's the best I could do right now.

It's a song by Paul Rogers called "Muddy Water Blues" from his Muddy Waters tribute album by the same name.

http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x222/Markuster/VOM/?action=view&current=VOMMuddyWaterBlues_flv.flv

Markus

• Members

Totamus.... That's a nice rendition. I love Paxton and you do his stuff well. The song fits your ramblin' style lately too, doesn't it?

Thanks Dak - I am a Paxton fan also. And yeah, been doing my share of ramblin. Which reminds me of another Paxton song I love - " I Can't Help But Wonder Where I'm Bound"...

• Members

Sorry to stray "OT" but I'm slightly "PUI" because the kids are in bed!

*thinks about having a second beer*
:freak:

This guy was in Rocky Horror Picture Show wasn't he? :poke: and definately go get the next beer. :-)

• Members
I've been jumping all around this thread trying to give each posting a good listen and a fair shake at giving kudos. This is a great piece RD! I love the mellow groove and the lilting quality to your vocals!
:thu:

What a wonderful compliment that I will gladly accept. I like the word lilt, it makes me smile :)

Also, thanks to chripy, dak and everyone else who chimed in on my tune - it is very much appreciated :thu:

• Members
here's my take on Leonard Cohen's
Chelsea Hotel #2
with my new Yamaha FG730S.

http://media.putfile.com/Chelsea-Hotel-2

I have listened to all the submissions and all I can say is wow. Great picking, singing, and writing. I'll post some more detailed reactions after another listen.

I've never heard the original but I really enjoyed this song. Great playing and great vocals, you sound like a natural :thu:

• Members
I've never heard the original but I really enjoyed this song. Great playing and great vocals, you sound like a natural

Thank you so much. Like Chirpy said, the jazzy feel of your piece is somehing I wish I could capture. Great job.

here's the original Chelsea Hotel

[YOUTUBE]Dx11oNHPDrA[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Frets.. Gotta say, I love the candor in your vids. Tune was cool too.

Quick question for you, what guitar were you sporting there? I should recognize it by I'm embarrassed to say that I do not.

Well, it's definatly an ovation;-)

• Members

Well, by my clock it's almost closing time ... but you know what? If it's still Second Sunday where you live, keep posting. Even it's a bit past Second Sunday and Monday Morning is blinking its bright eyes in your face ...

post 'em if you got 'em!

The mic is still on if you need it ...

• Members

Wow!...I have been listening all day. :)
At this time I have a pretty slow and unstable internet connection so some of the videos didn't load. The ones on "photobucket" didn't load for me so I was not able to see them. :( I will try and watch them later from a better connection.

I have managed to hear everyone else and I must say there is a whole lot of talent here. I am most impressed with the recording quality of the songs done at home with the Zoom H2 and H4 gizmos. Very good indeed!! I loved the beatbox in your song Stackabones.:cool: The playing and singing has been excellent and the folks who did originals (like rhythmdoctor) are now among my favorite songwriters. I have also been blown away by the covers I have heard today...it's been most entertaining. :D

The standouts for me have been garthman and MattSkibaIsGod with your Leonard Cohen songs. You guys really have a great feel for his music. I also love the sound of your guitars. Ellen guitarist21; that was a fine flatpicked version of Bach. How the heck do you remember all of that!? :eek:totamus I love your picking style and that was an excellent choice of song to show it. :thu:

Thanks to all who took the time to listen to my song and leave kind words.
I recorded it at 8am today so that's why it's not very loud as I didn't want to wake up the neighbors. I was also reading the lyrics off the screen of my laptop since I didn't have them all memorized. I had not really played that tune in years. I really should have practiced it more...;)

Again, I must say it's been very entertaining listening to everyone's music and you are all an inspiration...especially those who have only been playing a short while and took the time to submit recordings.

Great job everyone!!! :thu: :thu: :thu:

• Members
Wow!...I have been listening all day.
:)
At this time I have a pretty slow and unstable internet connection so some of the videos didn't load. The ones on "photobucket" didn't load for me so I was not able to see them.
:(
I will try and watch them later from a better connection.

I have managed to hear everyone else and I must say there is a whole lot of talent here. I am most impressed with the recording quality of the songs done at home with the Zoom H2 and H4 gizmos. Very good indeed!! I loved the beatbox in your song
Stackabones.
:cool:
The playing and singing has been excellent and the folks who did originals (like
rhythmdoctor
) are now among my favorite songwriters. I have also been blown away by the covers I have heard today...it's been most entertaining.
:D

The standouts for me have been
garthman
and
MattSkibaIsGod
with your Leonard Cohen songs. You guys really have a great feel for his music. I also love the sound of your guitars. Ellen
guitarist21
; that was a fine flatpicked version of Bach. How the heck do you remember all of that!?
:eek:
totamus
I love your picking style and that was an excellent choice of song to show it.

Thanks to all who took the time to listen to my song and leave kind words.

I recorded it at 8am today so that's why it's not very loud as I didn't want to wake up the neighbors. I was also reading the lyrics off the screen of my laptop since I didn't have them all memorized. I had not really played that tune in years. I really should have practiced it more...
;)

Again, I must say it's been very entertaining listening to everyone's music and you are all an inspiration...especially those who have only been playing a short while and took the time to submit recordings.

Great job everyone!!!

+1 and thanks.

OGP you did that song great justice. It was almost a lament to my ears for Steve, for good old days, and for trains. Brilliant job.

• Members

Kwak, that kid is a riot. And you're exactly right, good open mics are less recital and more of an exchange of musical ideas in an informal setting.

Hey Riff, that was freaking gorgeous! I absolutely loved it. Your playing is profoundly dynamic. Excellent work!

Ellen

Archived