VOM Reminder: Sept 14

Stackabones

• Members

I use the webcam on my laptop to record. Its actually not bad. They come out pretty close to the original sound.

That sucks you cant do covers kwakatak. I dont really see a problem with doing covers at all. Perhaps just change a few things and make it your own?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I dont really see a problem with doing covers at all. Perhaps just change a few things and make it your own?

Actually, I'm eager to see/hear the originals. I've got nothing against covers, but I love :love: hearing the new stuff. And I think it's great that this inspires Kwak to push things to completion.

I got "pushed" to complete originals when I would play every week at an OM at which covers were OK, but originals were preferred by the crowd (kind of an arty place). I tried to have a new one each week. That really got the production line rolling--and even though that place closed, :cry: I'm still on that roll. Force of habit.

• Members

I use the webcam on my laptop to record. Its actually not bad. They come out pretty close to the original sound.

That sucks you cant do covers kwakatak. I dont really see a problem with doing covers at all. Perhaps just change a few things and make it your own?

Actually, it's a choice and I may lapse because I do love playing covers so. I just want to live within the letter of the law by not posting them out on the open domain.

• Members

somebody ought to kick RIAA's organizational ass. I've listened to all these "originals" and I don't mean just here but everywhere, and I'm telling you, with all due respect to my friends here and afar, there isn't a whole lot I haven't heard before in my 55+ years. There's only so many notes out there, only so many ways to say you found your true love, you lost your true love, you got the blues, you lost hope, you found Jesus, blah blah blah....

I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it any more.

I think I'll do a cover.

• Members
Actually, it's a choice and I may lapse because I
do
love playing covers so. I just want to live within the letter of the law by not posting them out on the open domain.

I'm not a lawyer, but ... couldn't performing covers (in a bar, for an open mic, for VOM) live within the letter of the law? In all my years (um, decades) of performing covers, I've only had one instance where there was a problem -- and that was due to a misunderstanding about the law by the cafe owner.

This cafe owner received a notice from ASCAP that he needed to pay a licensing fee (most likely for playing recorded material). The owner's bright idea was to get each performer to sign a waiver (handwritten on notebook paper) stating that no ASCAP material would be performed. I told him that I was only performing BMI covers and refused to sign and never played there again. ;) It is the establishment's responsibility to pay the licensing fee, not the performer. So what this daft cafe owner did was BS and incredibly unfair to his performers (who only paid for tips and coffee btw).

If you play covers at an open mic, and there is no problem with the law, why wouldn't you play covers at VOM?

Again ... I'm not an expert on this issue and copyright and performance is a complex issue, but it seems like there is an overblown fear about what copyright infringement means in a situation like an average open mic or VOM.

• Members

I'm not a lawyer, but ... couldn't performing covers (in a bar, for an open mic, for VOM) live within the letter of the law?

If you play covers at an open mic, and there is no problem with the law, why wouldn't you play covers at VOM?

I'd guess because the VOM isn't paying the required license fees that the

live venues are, and, the VOM isn't a live performance but a digital

release (different than mechanical rights I believe, but definitely

requiring a licence under the letter of the law). I could be wrong, it has

happened before.

cheers,

andrew

• Members
I'd guess because the VOM isn't paying the required license fees that the

live venues are, and, the VOM isn't a live performance but a digital

release (different than mechanical rights I believe, but definitely

requiring a licence under the letter of the law). I could be wrong, it has

happened before.

cheers,

andrew

Good points.

But don't you think that what VOM is to an open mic, HC is to a live venue? And do the licensing fees at a club/restaurant apply to live music or to the recorded/piped in music or both?

I'm not sure by what you mean by "I could be wrong, it has happened before." What has happened before? :idk:

• Members

Just a quick note for those asking about times:
12:00am CENTRAL time... The thread goes live around 1:00am EASTERN ;)
(I'll let everyone else figure out their own timezone conversions)

As for video recording, as some people already mentioned, a webcam built into a laptop, or, in my case, a cheap 10+ year old USB webcam into an old tower is really all that's required for the hobbyist to make a decent enough video, in my opinion. The free Windows Movie Maker software does a decent enough job at capturing and editing the video. I'm sure them there Mac users probably have a cooler free editing tool at their disposal.

I'm already looking forward to contributing and hearing/watching everyone's creations :thu:

• Members

I just got a PM from Ohioarrow about a past entry of mine disappearing and just wanted to give everyone the heads up: I'm making all my covers private and/or pulling them outright. This is the result of a response to one of my posts in another forum and I figured that it'd be safer to do so or hazard some Duddly Do-Right calling RIAA down on my @$$ - even if I didn't personally profit from my submissions.

So from now on I'm going to try and only do originals. Cripes and a few other artists I know inspired me to do this.
I figure I've playing long enough that I can pull stuff out of my @$$ just by noodling around - whether it's good or not I can't say since I'm happy just to have fun while playing.
I've got a few half-finished songs floating around in my skull and this sort of gives me the excuse of working harder on them.

BTW - I'm hoping to have one done at least in instrumental form by this Sunday. I've been spending many late nights on it lately and would kick myself if I were to back burner it at this stage.

That's all I do. I think originals are much more telling of a person's musical interests, influences and talents. Though I do enjoy hearing versions of covers it inspires me to hear someone else making music as well.

• Members

I'm not worried about the licensing thing... if the publishing companies complain, I'll pull my stuff down. I'm not expecting this to be a permanent thing anyway. It's more in fun than anything else.

So yeah, I'm in! And I think I've got my technology issues ironed out, and will be able to easily record stuff without having to wrassle my computer to the ground in the process. So somewhat higher sound quality should be expected this time around. Don't know which song yet, I've got a few different candidates.

• Members
So where are we supposed to post said mp3s. Will there be a sticky or do we PM a link to someone. I'm cornfused.
:idk:

Upload your MP3 to one of the online services (you tube, putfile, sound latern, etc) and then on VOM day there will be a thread started for the actual VOM. In there you post the title, credits, comments, and your link to your mp3 for people to listen to.

If you don't have an account anywhere let me know and I will fix you up with a place to park your MP3 at online.

• Members
Good points.

But don't you think that what VOM is to an open mic, HC is to a live venue? And do the licensing fees at a club/restaurant apply to live music or to the recorded/piped in music or both?

Both, I believe.

I'm not sure by what you mean by "I could be wrong, it has happened before."
What
has happened before?
:idk:

I've been wrong before ... I think it was a Tuesday.;)

cheers,
andrew

• Members

I'm in too--98% sure. But probably just audio. Guess I'd better pick a song I know pretty "cold", if it's a one-take thing. So can you overlay another track over that one take?

Yes. You can even do so if it's not one-take.

Clarification about VOM and VOM1T.

VOM, Virtual Open Mic, is the event.

VOM1T, Virtual Open Mic 1-Take, is the principle.

Some VOMers adhere to the VOM1T principle, but it isn't a binding clause to be a part of VOM.

• Members

Michael Martin, and Mrmoe.

Get you a decent $50 - $60 webcam, and go google "Microsoft Movie Maker". It's a relatively featured (for free) Application, and you can capture from webcam directly into the app, and then edit a sound track and video track inline.

Even had drag and drop effects you can use to edit the movie.

Then you can export / compress it into several formats simply by going "File..Export"..."choose format", "click"...

Voila, instant (nearly) you-tube goodness.

WMM is included in SP-2 for WinXp. You can download it as part of the "windows update" process.

If you're too lazy for Google, here is a direct linky.

Cheers !

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/moviemaker2.mspx

• Members

Michael Martin, and Mrmoe.

Get you a decent $50 - $60 webcam, and go google "Microsoft Movie Maker". It's a relatively featured (for free) Application, and you can capture from webcam directly into the app, and then edit a sound track and video track inline.

Even had drag and drop effects you can use to edit the movie.

Then you can export / compress it into several formats simply by going "File..Export"..."choose format", "click"...

Voila, instant (nearly) you-tube goodness.

WMM is included in SP-2 for WinXp. You can download it as part of the "windows update" process.

If you're too lazy for Google, here is a direct linky.

Cheers !

Vielen danke. But what about for macs? I'm a pure mac-ist, and have no windows things.

Archived