VOM Reminder: Sept 14

Stackabones

• Members

Second Sunday is coming up!

That day in history ...

1752 - The British Empire adopts the Gregorian calendar, skipping eleven days (the previous day was September 2).

1814 - Francis Scott Key writes "The Star-Spangled Banner."

1944 - Maastricht becomes the first Dutch city that is liberated by allied forces.

1959 - The Soviet probe Luna 2 crashes onto the Moon, becoming the first man-made object to reach it.

1960 - The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) is founded.

September is ...

Self Improvement Month, Be Kind To Editors and Writers Month, International Square Dance Month, Cable TV Month, National Bed Check Month, National Chicken Month, National Courtesy Month, National Honey Month, National Mind Mapping Month, National Piano Month, National Rice Month, National Papaya Month, and Classical Music Month and probably others.

Any or none of the above may be used as themes! :thu:

See ya Sunday!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That day in history ...

1752 - The British Empire adopts the Gregorian calendar, skipping eleven days (the previous day was September 2).

1944 - Maastricht becomes the first Dutch city that is liberated by allied forces.

1959 - The Soviet probe Luna 2 crashes onto the Moon, becoming the first man-made object to reach it.

1960 - The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) is founded.

September is ...

Self Improvement Month, Be Kind To Editors and Writers Month, International Square Dance Month, Cable TV Month,
National Bed Check Month
National Chicken Month,
National Courtesy Month, National Honey Month, National Mind Mapping Month, National Piano Month,
National Rice Month, National Papaya Month
, and Classical Music Month and probably others.

Any or none of the above may be used as themes!
:thu:

See ya Sunday!

OGP checks his bed for chickens, rice and papya :wave:

• Members

...should have said, "1814 - Francis Scott Key writes the lyrics to The Star-Spangled Banner.".....the tune was plagiarized....an early form of sampling....

Actually, not lyrics ... but a poem. Parts of it became the lyrics to SSB. I don't think Key ever claimed ownership over the melody. If he had, that would be plagarism.

From wiki ...

Key gave the poem to his brother-in-law, Judge Joseph H. Nicholson. Nicholson saw that the words fit the popular melody "To Anacreon in Heaven", an old British drinking song from the mid-1760s, composed in London by John Stafford Smith. Nicholson took the poem to a printer in Baltimore, who anonymously printed broadside copies of it

• Members

Cool--and for the sake of those who haven't done this before, could you re-state the particulars about exactly how/when to participate? Or link to something for more info...thanks.

Its the second Sunday of every month. It will open at 12am on Sunday (basically sunday morning) and will end at midnight that Sunday. So 12 (midnight on saturday)-12 (midnight on sunday) on sunday.

Basically its suppose to be taken in 1 take. Post a clip or a youtube vid, thats what i do. Really anyway other people can access it.

Anything goes, acoustic...electric...covers...originals. Then everyone listens in on each others songs and gives a little blur about them.

I think i covered just about everything.

Heres the official VOM1T site: http://ifr-hcag.infocusreviews.com/index.php

• Members
Its the second Sunday of every month. It will open at 12am on Sunday (basically sunday morning) and will end at midnight that Sunday. So 12 (midnight on saturday)-12 (midnight on sunday) on sunday.

Basically its suppose to be taken in 1 take. Post a clip or a youtube vid, thats what i do. Really anyway other people can access it.

Anything goes, acoustic...electric...covers...originals. Then everyone listens in on each others songs and gives a little blur about them.

I think i covered just about everything.

Heres the official VOM1T site:
http://ifr-hcag.infocusreviews.com/index.php

Yep, that's it! :thu:

One note about VOM1T (Virtual Open Mic 1-Take) ... some adhere to it to the letter and some to the spirit. It's just a guideline, not a rule.

All instruments and styles are welcome (electric, acoustic, guitar or not) and it's open to all members of Harmony Central.

• Members

While sampling wares from the prior VOM1Ts (good work, ya'll!), it occurred to me that it was cool to see people play, not just hear them--even if that meant the audio was of lesser quality. What do you guys use to make videos? How can it be done easily/cheaply? (I do not own a digital movie camera)

• Members

While sampling wares from the prior VOM1Ts (good work, ya'll!), it occurred to me that it was cool to see people play, not just hear them--even if that meant the audio was of lesser quality. What do you guys use to make videos? How can it be done easily/cheaply? (I do not own a digital movie camera)

I've used the Flip.

• Members

I just got a PM from Ohioarrow about a past entry of mine disappearing and just wanted to give everyone the heads up: I'm making all my covers private and/or pulling them outright. This is the result of a response to one of my posts in another forum and I figured that it'd be safer to do so or hazard some Duddly Do-Right calling RIAA down on my @$$ - even if I didn't personally profit from my submissions.

So from now on I'm going to try and only do originals. Cripes and a few other artists I know inspired me to do this. I figure I've playing long enough that I can pull stuff out of my @$$ just by noodling around - whether it's good or not I can't say since I'm happy just to have fun while playing. I've got a few half-finished songs floating around in my skull and this sort of gives me the excuse of working harder on them.

BTW - I'm hoping to have one done at least in instrumental form by this Sunday. I've been spending many late nights on it lately and would kick myself if I were to back burner it at this stage.

• Members

BTW - for videos, I bought a 128MB card for my digital camera and make use of its AVI (movie) mode. THen I plug it into my laptop, import it into MS Movie Maker and downsample it for web use. I'm trying to figure out an easier way of recording a WAV with my mixer/microphone and syncing it with the video but haven't taken the time to do it properly.

Archived