VOM Reminder: Sept 14

Stackabones

• Members

Newer Macs have a built-in webcam.

I was fortunate to be given an Apogee Duet which interfaces with all the Mac Core Audio Applications. You can use any preamp which plays well with Core Audio and you're good to go.

You record and edit in GarageBand/Logic/iMovie and export to YouTube.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Kinda OT, but how "affordable" are these Macs, really? Back in '94 when I bought my last Mac I had to buy everything separate and the CPU alone cost 3X as much as a comparably-equipped (with regards to hard drive, RAM) PC. I actually had to take a loan from a well-to-do aunt and it took me 3 years to pay it off.

Gripe as much as I do about my Dells, but they're cheap enough that if one breaks we just buy another. :idk:

• Members

Kinda OT, but how "affordable" are these Macs, really? Gripe as much as I do about my Dells, but they're cheap enough that if one breaks we just buy another.

Macs have the 'cool factor' on their side. (and some nice innovations, to be sure)

My last Apple product was a Mac+ in the 80's. I occasionally use the third party 20MB hard drive for that computer as a footstool. (not kidding!)

• Members

Kinda OT, but how "affordable" are these Macs, really? Back in '94 when I bought my last Mac I had to buy everything separate and the CPU alone cost 3X as much as a comparably-equipped (with regards to hard drive, RAM) PC. I actually had to take a loan from a well-to-do aunt and it took me 3 years to pay it off.

Gripe as much as I do about my Dells, but they're cheap enough that if one breaks we just buy another.
:idk:

The new G5's can be pricey, but I've been perfectly happy with used G4's. The later models have more than adequate performance, and Tiger runs quite well on them if you load em up with memory. They can be very affordable on Craigslist or Ebay. You can even hack Leopard to run pretty good on some of the fastest G4's.

• Members

The new G5's can be pricey, but I've been perfectly happy with used G4's. The later models have more than adequate performance, and Tiger runs quite well on them if you load em up with memory. They can be very affordable on Craigslist or Ebay. You can even hack Leopard to run pretty good on some of the fastest G4's.

The new G5's? Do you mean MacPro's? Apple discontinued G5's and switched to Intel processors over 2 years ago. I've been very happy with my MacBook that I paid about $1300 for in November of 2006. You can get a refurbished newer iMac or MacBook starting around $1K.

IMO, I would stay away from G4's and G5's at this point. The Intel stuff is faster and more supportive of peripherals.

• Members

So they're kinda like the high-end guitar market, eh? They're better-priced if you try find one used? Funny, but I don't recall a straight acoustic guitar going obsolete in 3 years. :poke:

FWIW, I own an Apple paperweight. It still runs, so I won't fault the quality since my Dell was assembled by poorly-trained lemurs somewhere in the forests of Singapore, but Steve Jobs decided that my model of Mac wasn't good enough to run OSX, be it Leopard, Tiger or Platypus or whatever. Since I wasted $5K on a complete setup only to have it become 100% unsupported in 5 years I figure that he doesn't deserve and more of my money. :mad:

• Members

I got this one (24" w/2.8Gig, 3rd from left) but I paid about $1400.00 for it I'm pretty sure. My wife picked it up at Best-Buy. First she bought the notebook Pro or something like that. Hated it. Small keyboard without the number/function pads. So, she swapped it for the iMac. It was actually less than the notebook. It has Garage Band and built-in camera and microphones, yada yada. The movie maker ain't bad for what we do just sitting in front of the screen playing guitar. What's funky is you have to remember to look at the top edge/center above the screen where the camera is located to "make eye contact" with the audience.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/imac?mco=MTIyMDU

• Members

Back to the VOM topic. What is the time frame to submit on Sunday? I'm going into the mountains tomorrow and probably will get home late in the evening Pacific time - how late can I upload this thing? Or can I PM the link and text to someone today and have them put it up for me?

Time frame is mightnight tonight to midnight on Sunday for the regular VOM. I generally archive entries into Monday though. (FYI: Stackabones runs on Texas time)

Yes, you can do the latter as well. Email your link, title name, credits and comments to anyone you trust to post your submission to the VOM on your behalf.

• Members
The new G5's? Do you mean MacPro's? Apple discontinued G5's and switched to Intel processors over 2 years ago. I've been very happy with my MacBook that I paid about $1300 for in November of 2006. You can get a refurbished newer iMac or MacBook starting around $1K.

IMO, I would stay away from G4's and G5's at this point. The Intel stuff is faster and more supportive of peripherals.

:facepalm: You're absolutely right about the G5's being discontinued. I've been using the older stuff and have not kept up with the new Macs in a while. I've not found the later G4's to be lacking for my needs, and I do know that the new hardware from Apple is pretty expensive. YMMV.

• Members

Anyone familiar with iMac movie maker? I'd swear when i first checked it out and recorded a couple test videos there was good sound/playback. Now, after doing a test run for my first attempt at this VOM I'm not getting audio to record.

I set the audio-in in Preferences for built-in Microphone and can see sound registering in the Voice-Over feature. But, when I select "Capture" to begin the video recording no sound is being recorded. So, I went back to Preferences and set the audio-in for built-in Input and tried going through my external mic through my signal chain into the card. Still nothing. I started over quite a few times with new projects and sending previous ones to the trash can. I did get one video with sound through the external signal chain but it was all left channel (for testing) and after trying again through the same externals I got nothing. Weird. I'm stumped.

This thing is brand new. Maybe it took one look and listen at me and thought it couldn't handle storing my image and voice at the same time? Getting personal, me thinks.

• Members

.....my business is "married" to system 9 software (PageMaker, Bulk Mailer, etc.....).....since the Intel Macs won't run Classic (system 9), the dual processor g-4 seems to be the current stopping point.....I wouldn't mind paying $1000 for an Intel Mac, but I balk at spending thousands more to replace software that would no longer run......

• Members

Anyone familiar with iMac movie maker? I'd swear when i first checked it out and recorded a couple test videos there was good sound/playback. Now, after doing a test run for my first attempt at this VOM I'm not getting audio to record.

I set the audio-in in Preferences for built-in Microphone and can see sound registering in the Voice-Over feature. But, when I select "Capture" to begin the video recording no sound is being recorded. So, I went back to Preferences and set the audio-in for built-in Input and tried going through my external mic through my signal chain into the card. Still nothing. I started over quite a few times with new projects and sending previous ones to the trash can. I did get one video with sound through the external signal chain but it was all left channel (for testing) and after trying again through the same externals I got nothing. Weird. I'm stumped.

This thing is brand new. Maybe it took one look and listen at me and thought it couldn't handle storing my image and voice at the same time? Getting personal, me thinks.

Can you describe your external mic setup? If you're using some sort of audio interface through USB or FireWire, neither Internal Microphone nor Line In should be selected -- your interface should appear as another option in the list.

You might also want to trash your iMovie preferences file once, to see if that helps (it's named com.apple.iMovie.plist, in your Preferences folder).

• Members

Cripes - Quit iMovie. Then go to System Preferences (it's in the dock) and select the audio input you want to use. Quit System Preferences. Now open iMovie and try it again.

• Members

Cripes - Quit iMovie. Then go to System Preferences (it's in the dock) and select the audio input you want to use. Quit System Preferences. Now open iMovie and try it again.

Done. Thanks folks. If not for this VOM I'd have never learned these iMovie procedures (Microsoft born and bred).

I now have something for the VOM1t. I made the video in one take and it ended up decapitating me somewhat. Pretty much how I felt after all that anyway.

Thanks again.

Archived