In Defense of TN Frank (not that he needs it)

S~R~O

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I'd rather go thirsty than drink canned corporate swill. Life's too short, guys...

THIS is what beer is supposed to look like!

sierra-nevada-pale-ale.jpg

Trvth so pure.
I'd honestly rather have one SNPA than a six of Olde Milwaulkies. Then at least I'd of had one decent beer. This could bring us back around to guitars, but we're just getting started on beer.

• Members

Beer? Is that what this has come to? Then make mine a Modelo Negro, please. After that, Busch will do.
And yeah, a gigs 10 hours. Sometimes 12. Pack, travel. Meet others. Pack, travel. Unload, set up. Eat. Play four hours. Break down. Wait an hour so customers clear and the house can total & clear the register before they pay us. Out load. Go to breakfast. Take others home. Outload. Go home. Outload. If I play the next day, forget the first and last bits.
The four hours playing? I do that for free. I love it. I get paid for driving and hauling big black boxes. If you consider telephone cost and time, road trips to nail down jobs, deliver promo materials, I doubt 15% of my time is actually spent playing music. Christ, put it like that, it seems pointless. Guess I'll crack another Busch and let the bontemps roullez! And snooze. Like to snooze...

• Members

Does anyone here like Red Beer? Try adding a splash of Clamato juice to a beer sometime, it's pretty good. One of my best friends in Phoenix turned me onto it. At first I thought "Is he out of his mind!" but after I gave it a try I thought it was a nice change of pace from time to time.

I grew up in South Dakota and know a ton of people up there who do that.

Oddly, I lived in Arizona for a long time and never saw anyone there do that (except the ones who moved there from South Dakota).

• Members

An old favourite around here is Newcastle Brown Ale and best served chilled and in a half pint glass.

newcastle_brown_ale.jpg

It's one of those love or hate it brown ales.

Then Double Maxim - originally from Sunderland - , but another that I got a taste for during some time in the far east is Tiger

tb.JPG

• Members

Newcastle Brown Ale, now we're talking. I loved the stuff at $7 bucks a six but when it suddenly had a price jump and went to over $10 bucks a six, well, just couldn't affored it anymore. I prefer Ales and Porters but they're pricy so I drink mostly Lagers. Budwiser has a new Ale on the market that's not half bad and the price isn't too bad either but fir a few cents more I can get Sam Adams.

• Members

AMEN BROTHERS!

Samuel Adams man here! But I also love a Guinness stout too!

That would be the only beer I'd drink if it was about $4 bucks a six,LOL. It's close to $11 though so I can't afford to drink it except rarley. I made the mistake of getting a six of Guinness Draft once, didn't like it at all but the Stout is awesome.

• Members
I once drank 6 bottles of the stuff at a lunchtime office "do" and the rest of the day is very hazy.

Note: There is an interesting custom amongst the mountaineers and rock climbers of Snowdonia who frequent the bar of Cobdens Hotel in Capel Curig called a "Newkie Drew". This involves drinking as much beer as possible in about an hour, buying a bottle of Newcastle Brown, walking across the road, taking off all your clothes, wading out until chest deep into the River Llugwy and drinking the bottle in one go.

River_Llugwy.jpg

Whye aye! And "India Pale Ale" and "Workie Ticket" from Mordue Brewery, Wallsend are even better . . . http://www.morduebrewery.com/beers/

PS. I must admit that Sierra Nevada IPA is pretty good too - but it costs

Archived