Changing strings really fast

Fred Fartboski

• Members

I certainly like to take my time too and I don't have a problem winding the tuners by hand. Although the power winder was cool.

However, the cutting to length idea, I like that. I'm going to have to use that method for the next string change.

• Members
Did you notice that he didn't wind once above the projecting string and then continue below on the shaft, which is the way I've always done it. Maybe I'm just wasting time.

I do that, too, but I also bend the projecting part the opposite direction the string is wound on the shaft. Sometimes they slip, otherwise, especialy the the B and high E.

• Members

I've heard of guys pre-cutting their strings but this vid clearly explained the rationale and beauty of it.

I remember the first time I saw instructions on how to wind a guitar string on a pack of strings... I thought, yeah, sure wish they'd had that on the string packs when I started. It probably didn't really take me years (no, maybe it did :D ) to figure out how to string a guitar best, but a clear simple explanation like that or this would have really helped me out back then.

The re-geared moto-tool is particularly nice, particularly if it's got a good adjustable clutch.

Now maybe I'll figure out how to keep my nylon strings from slipping when you first put 'em on... ;)

• Members

Pair of diagonal cutters is all the tools I used for a long time. Bought a manual winder with a peg puller on it for $3.99 the other day, and changed a set of strings last night. Was a little bit easier winding, but the big advantage (to me) was using the peg puller instead of carefully using the cutters to pinch the pegs out (and yes, a luthier showed me how to do that, Gary. :D )

I don't mind taking some time to change strings. Life's short, but it's not that short. Changing strings doesn't take that long, and it's kind of relaxing.

• Members

Pair of diagonal cutters is all the tools I used for a long time. Bought a manual winder with a peg puller on it for $3.99 the other day, and changed a set of strings last night. Was a little bit easier winding, but the big advantage (to me) was using the peg puller instead of carefully using the cutters to pinch the pegs out (and yes, a luthier showed me how to do that, Gary.
:D
)

I don't mind taking some time to change strings.
Life's short
, but it's not that short. Changing strings doesn't take that long, and it's kind of relaxing.

Life is the longest thing you'll ever do. :p

Way back when, when changing my first set of strings, the first tool I reached for when trying pull out the pins was a pair of diagonal cutters. Gentle pressure as you squeeze, so you don't mar the pin, then rock it back. Viola!

• Members

10-4 on taking your time. Of course that luthier guy was getting it done as quickly as possible--ones around here charge $25 to change strings, so they can't take long.

I guess if you do as many at the guy at Taylor shop does, it would be easy and fast. I saw the link for slothead string change. Surely takes me a lot longer to wrestle, and not get stuck, with them, how about you?

• Members

For $25 a pop I'd change your strings and shine your shoes when you pick it up.

As for the guy who would like his to keep his nylon strings from slipping.Try this.

1- Line the hole in the post up so you don't have to bend the string to put it through the hole.(Leave enough slack in the string to wrap around the post a few times)

2- Pull the tag end of the string around the post in the opposite direction the post is going to turn to tighten the string.

3- tuck the tag end of the string under and around it's self where it enters the post.

4- Pull the tag end of the string back around the post in the same direction the post is going to turn when the string is being tightened .

5- hold tension on both ends of the string and turn the tuning key until the string is tight.(This sometimes takes three hands)

This should lock the tag end of the string in place. I hope it helps.

• Members

Pair of diagonal cutters is all the tools I used for a long time. Bought a manual winder with a peg puller on it for $3.99 the other day, and changed a set of strings last night. Was a little bit easier winding, but the big advantage (to me) was using the peg puller instead of carefully using the cutters to pinch the pegs out (and yes, a luthier showed me how to do that, Gary.
:D
)

I don't mind taking some time to change strings. Life's short, but it's not that short. Changing strings doesn't take that long, and it's kind of relaxing.

You sure it wasn't a tech who showed you? The terms guitar technician and luthier seem a little too interchangeable on the fora. :lol:

I also tend to use diagonal cutters to nudge/unseat bridge pins. Those plastic string-winder cum pin-puller thingies tend to be a little too delicate and often slip if the pin is a tight fit.

We've been using cordless screwdriver:peg winders in the workshop for somewhere around 20yrs and also snip strings before fitting, but tend to gauge string length slightly differently to the method indicated. Additional string length for a triple wrap around the tuner capstan generally equals the distance between nut and first fret on the majority of instruments. That general rule of thumb counts for both 3 and 6 in line headstocks. :thu:

• Members

I'm retired, I don't care if it takes me ten hours to change strings!

BigAl
:thu:

I'm with you, Big Al. When I retired four years ago I made myself a promise to never do another "rush" job as long as I live. So far, I've stuck to my guns. The only thing I do quickly these days is fall asleep!! I can do it so fast it'll make your head swim!

As far as changing strings goes, I kinda enjoy doing it. It's the cheapest therapy I can think of other than my afternoon siesta.

• Members

You sure it wasn't a tech who showed you? The terms guitar technician and luthier seem a little too interchangeable on the fora.
:lol:

I also tend to use diagonal cutters to nudge/unseat bridge pins. Those plastic string-winder cum pin-puller thingies tend to be a little too delicate and often slip if the pin is a tight fit.

We've been using cordless screwdriver:peg winders in the workshop for somewhere around 20yrs and also snip strings before fitting, but tend to gauge string length slightly differently to the method indicated. Additional string length for a triple wrap around the tuner capstan generally equals the distance between nut and first fret on the majority of instruments. That general rule of thumb counts for both 3 and 6 in line headstocks.
:thu:

Guy who builds and repairs stringed instruments = luthier, right?

Didn't know how to do it, didn't want to break anything, sent him an email, he sent me a link to a vid and instructions he wrote up.

Didn't show me personally, but ... showed me.

Archived