Is my playing boring?

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

My wife told me yesterday than when she has trouble falling asleep that she'll listen to me practice. She says that its restful.

Usually when I pull one of my acoustics out the cat jumps onto the recliner near the chair I sit in. She'll sit there watching me, and she usually falls asleep.

The other night last week I was playing outside through my Crate Limo, just playing around with some settings on it. The girl in the apartment next door has been going through a lot of personal stuff, and its been hard on her emotionally. The next morning she told me that she was listening to me play the night before and it was the first night that week that she was able to fall asleep and sleep well.

So is my playing so boring its putting everyone asleep, beast and person alike?:confused:

• Members

I wouldn't think so. You're playing at a time when they're trying to go to sleep. If you're playing mellow and doing it well, it's soothing and will undoubtedly help someone fall off to sleep.

Now, if you play the same thing for a crowd and they start nodding off, then you're boring.

• Members
Yes, next question.

Hey, on the bright side, you have a whole new career playing in funeral homes or at pet spas!

:facepalm:

If I'm ever looking for some encouragement, I'll be sure to ask you for it, C70 :poke:.

I don't know if your playing is boring, since I haven't heard you play. I'd wager that it probably isn't, but without hearing it, I can't say for certain.

I would like to point out, however, that there is a big difference between "boring" and "relaxing." They don't have the same definition, and in fact, they're not even synonyms. Just because people fall asleep while listening to you play doesn't mean your playing is boring. If anything, I'd say that's an indicator of how soothing and relaxing it is.

When I think of boring, I think of some beginning guitarist banging out the same three cowboy chords over and over again. And that wouldn't put me to sleep. That'd make me want to take the guitar and smash it over the guitarist's head :idk:.

• Members
My cat runs away when I play.
:idk:
I try not to take it personally.

This is very odd... about two hours ago a dog chased my cat up a tree. After we chased off the dog, I got out my tallest ladder, put on my thickest fleece jacket and went up after this stupid cat. So I'm just abt 30' off the deck and stretched out as far as I can safely reach, but still about a foot short of my stupid cat, who at this point stupidly decides to head even further up the tree.

The wife, fearing for my well-being says, "Forget about it, he'll come down on his own. We should both just act normally, go play your mandolin." :thu: So I went upstairs to work on a fiddle tune for awhile and now I see that the stupid cat has come down to the top of the ladder. I'm liking this as a universal solution to life's little problems: Go play. :)

Now I've gotta play him down further.

• Members
My kids have a Yorkshire Terrier named Buzz. He's my biggest fan. When I play in the living room, he climbs up on the couch and sits behind me, right behind my head. It's kind of cool....
at least he doesn't try to sing
:thu:

RT1

YET!!!

• Members

I'd call your music "soothing" from the reactions I'm hearing about. . . .

^This. :thu: Why not put it to the test and record something and post it for us to give a listen. If we start zoning out, we'll let you know and probably be able to tell you why.

• Members

Well people who really think they are not playing well, then i suggest them to play some old Spanish music ... no matter people are going for sleep or your cat run when u play :)

I love to play Acoustic Guitars either it is semi or manual ... firstly i played with back ground of any famous music and then try to create my own tone very similar to the tone of the song that I use to play for practice :)

• Members

Shakespeare said, "Music hath charm to soothe the savage breast", or "beast", or whatever the hell it was that he said. I wasn't there when he said it. I haven't soothed a savage breast in so long I can't remember what it feels like. Not sure I've even had the opportunity. I guess it COULD happen though.....I'll get back to you if it does!

• Members

The stupid cat never came down. It started getting dark and I had to go up the ladder and grab him before the raccoons came out and tore him to stupid shreds. He seemed grateful, but you never know w/ cats.

Cats will stay up in trees for days at a time. They also come down on their own schedule.

For whatever reason I don't know.

Archived