Why are you wasting your time with an acoustic?

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

Right!!!

This thread has gone completely out of control. It is rude, crude, and lewd, and also contains several posts from knockwood. Everyone is wrong and a liar. Therefore, I am fining everyone who posted to this thread, other than myself, $50.00.

No, wait. I'm fining everyone at Harmony Central $50.00.

Sorry, I can only accept Paypal.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

well first I woulda had a good laugh. then i woulda smiled at him until he became very uncomfortable. then i woulda said, what did you say? then I woulda gone back about my business of playing a fine instrument. if he woulda persisted then i woulda handed him the acoustic and said, take her around the block before you bad mouth something you dont know anything about.

• Members
I woulda got up REEEEL close to him (like, 3-inches), and played the first few bars from Deliverance... don't forgit to drool a little too. Then when I wuz dun, I'd say, "You gotta purdy mouth, boy."

That oughtta do it.
:thu:

Well......... As long as the end result doesn't have you demanding he "squeal like a pig". :eek:

----------

Only a suggestion, but sometimes it just pays to accept compliments and comments when they're offered, smile, not take offence and carry on with what you're doing. Doing so leaves the door open as far as making conversation and without burning bridges. You may have well and truly shot yourself in both feet inasmuch as any prospect of negotiating decent deals from that outlet.

• Members
Well......... As long as the end result doesn't have you demanding he "squeal like a pig".
:eek:

----------

Only a suggestion, but sometimes it just pays to accept compliments and comments when they're offered, smile, not take offence and carry on with what you're doing. Doing so leaves the door open as far as making conversation and without burning bridges. You may have well and truly shot yourself in both feet inasmuch as any prospect of negotiating decent deals from that outlet.

:lol:

• Members

Hey, I play along with Metal and Classic Rock songs all the time on my 000. Lots of parts in Metallica, Iron Maiden and other Metal songs sound great on an acoustic. Plus, if you can learn it on an acoustic it's easy to translate it over to an electric. If he doesn't think you can play Metal on an acoustic just point him in the direction of Tenacious D's stuff. Jack Black and Kyle Gass really kick some put on their acoustic guitars. :thu:

• Members
Hey, I play along with Metal and Classic Rock songs all the time on my 000. Lots of parts in Metallica, Iron Maiden and other Metal songs sound great on an acoustic. Plus, if you can learn it on an acoustic it's easy to translate it over to an electric. If he doesn't think you can play Metal on an acoustic just point him in the direction of Tenacious D's stuff. Jack Black and Kyle Gass really kick some put on their acoustic guitars.
:thu:

True dat. I play a lot of stuff recorded with an electric on one of my acoustics. Lots of fun really, plus you don't need to drag an amp around when you go someplace. :thu:

• Members

confidentially, I think those kind of questions/statements don`t even merit a reply...it`s ignorance pure and simple, not worth my time and certainly not worth gettin` all hot and bothered about.
As a painter I just can`t imagine somebody saying to me...hey, you`re pretty good...why don`t you use oils?

• Members

Since he started his comment with a compliment, it is a pretty safe bet he wasn't trying to offend you. I see two possibilities -
1) he was just messing with you, yanking your chain, ... for many, it's a male bonding thing to throw an insult at another guy.
For this, a returned friendly insult is called for - "You're pretty good too. Why do you waste your time on that metal crap? You should play bluegrass."
2) he really doesn't "get" acoustics and can't imagine that others actually like them.
That would be pretty pathetic. Either education or pity would be more appropriate than anger in this case.

I do also like the idea of playing Dueling Banjos and telling him "Boy, you got a purdy mouth". Just be ready for the reply, "So do you - let's go somewhere"!

• Members

I was at the pawn shop today, and I saw a Taylor they just got in, and since it was a step above what they normal have quality wise, I decided to try it. Also trying guitars was a metal player trying out a pair of seven string electrics. I don't care for that sort of music, but he was pretty good and knew his stuff, unlike a lot of metal players I come across.

I was in the middle of fingerpicking Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, and he says to me, "You're pretty good. Why are you wasting your time with an acoustic? You should be playing electrics."

Angry, I responded with "Why don't you shut your mouth until you have something intelligent to say?". He got a pissed look, got up and walked towards the counter, I assume to find someone so he could tattle, and not wanting to deal with anymore crap, I left.

I'm just getting tired of close-minded people. And I just don't get the bias some people have against acoustics, guitar players and otherwise.

Well, he is right. What is your deal? Clearly, you're Un-American and I don't appreciate you playing acoustic guitars. Get out of the states ass!!!!

• Members

Years ago my first good guitar was a decent Japanese copy of a D-28. Cost about a third what a Martin 18 would have, say $200. I was playing it at a gas station while my car was being fixed and this guy started chatting. He was blown away that an acoustic could be that expensive. I'm sure to him, acoustics were just wood boxes, suited best for beginners w/o $$$ or for childrens toys. In his upbringing and cultural environment he wasn't aware of any serious or popular music that involved an acoustic guitar. Unlike the guy in the music store he wasn't being an insulting smartass. He just had no idea.

• Members

I played strictly electric for something like 9 years (After the first 2 years on my mom's acoustic...). I just got an acoustic, again, about a month ago (Thanks for all the advice).

Anyway, the reason I am 'wasting my time' with an acoustic is because the instrument feels so much more alive when you play it. In my experience, electrics don't respond as well to the musician's loving caress. I spent the first two weeks just hammering out all of my bad technique that had been overcome in the past by tweaking electronics (don't like your tone on the electric? just tweak your mids! add some reverb! etc.). I can make my electric sing, but my acoustic will sing back to me.

Archived