Why are you wasting your time with an acoustic?

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

I was at the pawn shop today, and I saw a Taylor they just got in, and since it was a step above what they normal have quality wise, I decided to try it. Also trying guitars was a metal player trying out a pair of seven string electrics. I don't care for that sort of music, but he was pretty good and knew his stuff, unlike a lot of metal players I come across.

I was in the middle of fingerpicking Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, and he says to me, "You're pretty good. Why are you wasting your time with an acoustic? You should be playing electrics."

Angry, I responded with "Why don't you shut your mouth until you have something intelligent to say?". He got a pissed look, got up and walked towards the counter, I assume to find someone so he could tattle, and not wanting to deal with anymore crap, I left.

I'm just getting tired of close-minded people. And I just don't get the bias some people have against acoustics, guitar players and otherwise.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

II just don't get the bias some people have against acoustics, guitar players and otherwise.

Ah, don't let some shredhead wanker get to you.

My experience has been the opposite: I've generally found that people respect me more as a musician when they learn that I don't only play electric; being reasonably adept at acoustic seems to impart some sense of "seriousness" that the electric just doesn't convey. But maybe it's a regional thing.

• Members

Damn! Wish I knew where you lived just in case I'm ever in your area. I want to make damned sure I don't compliment any guitar players. The next poor slob who compliments your guitar playing abilities is likely to get shot!

I wasn't angry that he was complimenting my playing ability. I was angry that he implied my chosen instrument is an inferior instrument.

• Members
I was at the pawn shop today, and I saw a Taylor they just got in, and since it was a step above what they normal have quality wise, I decided to try it. Also trying guitars was a metal player trying out a pair of seven string electrics. I don't care for that sort of music, but he was pretty good and knew his stuff, unlike a lot of metal players I come across.

I was in the middle of fingerpicking Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, and he says to me, "You're pretty good. Why are you wasting your time with an acoustic? You should be playing electrics."

Angry, I responded with "Why don't you shut your mouth until you have something intelligent to say?". He got a pissed look, got up and walked towards the counter, I assume to find someone so he could tattle, and not wanting to deal with anymore crap, I left.

I'm just getting tired of close-minded people. And I just don't get the bias some people have against acoustics, guitar players and otherwise.

I would have said, "Oh, I play electric too, but I find acoustic to be more difficult to get right, which makes it more of a challenge and thus commensurately more rewarding."

But that's just me...:idk:

• Members

I would have gotten mad too, but might have approached it differently. I would have probably said something like "You're pretty good too, for a metal head wanker. Why are you wasting your time on crap music?"

Would have gotten the same point across...

• Members

Ha! I think that response was pretty justified...

His comment about "wasting your time with an acoustic" was a pretty stupid thing to say to someone playing an acoustic guitar. Without even bringing up the argument about whether acoustic or electric is better, it was a stupid comment. Stupid comments deserve that kind of a response.

He must have gone home to think of something better to say... Good work!

• Members

I would have shot him in the face with a gun and then stood over him shouting "Who's the bitch now? WHO'S THE BITCH NOW???" and then I would have picked up the acoustic again and strummed a bit of "All You Need Is Love." Then maybe a stroll down the street for some ice cream.

• Members

I would have shot him in the face with a gun and then stood over him shouting "Who's the bitch now? WHO'S THE BITCH NOW???" and then I would have picked up the acoustic again and strummed a bit of "All You Need Is Love." Then maybe a stroll down the street for some ice cream.

Now, That's Entertainment!

• Members

Life is way too short to spend getting all worked up over nothing...remember "stickes and stones will break my bones..."

Take good out of bad. You can't fix stupid.
Ex. reply..."Thanks, I'm working on my playing. Do you play any acoustics?"
or
Ex. reply..."Thanks, I enjoy acoustic playing, it improves my guitar playing skills."
or
Ex. reply..."Thanks, It's my acoustic playing that makes me a better player. Can you play an acoustic?"

You see, He then has to reply in a positive way to you. Not a negative one.

But if he is a total Asswipe and says, "thats a bunch of crap, acoustics suck."
Then just say, "you're right, not anywhere near as good as your girlfriend/wife does."

• Members

Two scenarios:

Scenario #1:

Wanker Kid: "Why are you wasting your time playing acoustic?"

You: "Why don't you shut your mouth until you have something intelligent to say?" You pick up the Taylor and smash it over his head, and he pulls out a gun and shoots you.

Scenario #2:

Wanker Kid: "Why are you wasting your time playing acoustic?"

You: "I play both really. I just like guitars. What kind do you have? Don't you ever play acoustic? You ought to try it!"

Pick the one that makes the most sense.

• Members

Light weight.....

Archived