OT: *poof* I think there goes my GAS fund

kwakatak

• Members

I hear ya, Kwak. We have 3 vehicles (kept the '99 Dodge Dakota pickup since my daughter is driving now). It's been a good truck, but it's getting up there in miles (77K) and so is starting to need things. The other two cars are Mazdas, and at 6 years old and 3 years old, have been fantastic (just routine maint.). Good luck -- and I agree about getting a 2nd opinion.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sorry to hear it. Car troubles bite big time. So far my 2000 Cavalier has been pretty trouble free but the previous two cars (1984 Pontiac Sunbird and 1993 Chevrolet Corsica) were trouble from the get-go, especially the Pontiac. I'll definitely add a +1 to the second opinion idea though. rhancox is right on IMHO.

• Members

I'd definitely get a second opinion. $1000 for brake pads and rotors? The only way that can be that expensive is if the rotor comes in one huge assembly, which is doubtful, but possible. Or it's made of some sort of carbon fiber titanium gold alloy something-or-other.

My brother used to be a service manager for KMart. The first thing the mechanics do is look for other things to fix. Go in for an oil change and *poof*, you need brakes. In CA, that's a popular one because a shop can't release your car if they know you've got dangerously worn brakes.

Did you get a look at the bushings yourself? Those things are meant to last a lot longer than 40,000 miles. Your conditions may vary, but I'd want to look at them first.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, Kwak. I hope everything turns out for the better and you can stay on track for the guitar you want.

I agree, but I think the $1000 was for brakes, rotors and 2 tires.

Damned cars!!

I just traded my two junkers for late model Chevy's because I was gonna be running uphill with maintenance and I just wanted a little maintenance worry free driving for a couple of years. (It's like paying for the repairs more slowly and on a schedule... :mad:)

• Members

The work isn't hard to do if... you have the tools, repair manual, place and time to do it, inclination to learn if you haven't the skills, the vehicle down-time and the weight of that measure trumps having it done quickly by a shop with a warranty. If you aren't a part time grease monkey at this point in your life then it's because you don't want to be. Not knocking you at all. I frickin hate working on my vehicles but because I know how that's the route I take. It is a lot more cost-effective. My clothes dryer just went belly up last week so on Saturday I ran an electrical diagnostic. It turns out the part that failed was an $8.25 thermal fuse ($12.00+/- with shipping). My time away from doing nothing and playing guitar? Invaluable. But, IIRC it's $50.00 from an appliance service company just to knock on your door. I can only imagine how many people have to go that route as well as how many would biff the faulty dryer for a new one. Get handy. It'll save you big time.

• Members

I'll give no further comment on the cost of the brakes. The damage is done and has been paid for in full. It's not like we're in debt, but it sucks being hit with expenses like this - especially when you end up feeling like a sucker.

What I'm discovering is that bad bushings are a common problem with these Subies. I've heard that they're an easy fix to do but I'm not mechanically inclined and I haven't seen the procedure spelled out yet.

• Members
The work isn't hard to do if... you have the tools, repair manual, place and time to do it, inclination to learn if you haven't the skills, the vehicle down-time and the weight of that measure trumps having it done quickly by a shop with a warranty. If you aren't a part time grease monkey at this point in your life then it's because you don't want to be. Not knocking you at all. I frickin hate working on my vehicles but because I know how that's the route I take. It is a lot more cost-effective. My clothes dryer just went belly up last week so on Saturday I ran an electrical diagnostic. It turns out the part that failed was an $8.25 thermal fuse ($12.00+/- with shipping). My time away from doing nothing and playing guitar? Invaluable. But, IIRC it's $50.00 from an appliance service company just to knock on your door. I can only imagine how many people have to go that route as well as how many would biff the faulty dryer for a new one. Get handy. It'll save you big time.

I have to reluctantly agree. Reluctantly, because I hate working on cars, too. Hate working on things when it doesn't go right, and with cars, invariably, if it's something I haven't done before, it takes at least twice as long as I projected it to.

Clothes dryers -- ah, last year, ours stopped drying. Figured out it was because the door wasn't staying closed -- because the latch was cracked and broken. Looking it over, I noticed that there was a brand-new latch on the other side of the hole, so that you could have your door open to the left or to the right. Removed two screws, flipped the door over, and put it back together -- brand new latch works great. :D That one was easy, and fast, and saved me money.

• Members

Joe, you are of course the voice of reason. The more I think of this, the more I think that the guy at the shop was BSing me (making it seem like a bigger job than it was) and that this problem should have been a recall.

• Members

I have to reluctantly agree. Reluctantly, because I hate working on cars, too. Hate working on things when it doesn't go right, and with cars, invariably, if it's something I haven't done before, it takes at least twice as long as I projected it to.

Hehe - yeah, I know what you mean. I changed the front disc brakes on my first car once and broke a friend's C-clamps bleeding the brakes. With some friends' help I went on to replace a power steering pump and a heater core. Given that, I don't know why I don't have the confidence to tackle something as simple as changing my own oil anymore.

• Members

No where to dump the stuff....otherwise I would change the oil on my own cars.

Just take it back to the place you bought the oil and filter from. They should have a disposal drum if your state requires it. If that's not an option, aren't there any reclamation sites near you that take household "chemical waste"?

• Members

No where to dump the stuff....otherwise I would change the oil on my own cars.

Most auto part stores will take used oil.

I save our empty laundry soap bottles for collecting used motor oil.

Generally, I only pay for oil changes in the coldest part of winter.

• Members

Clothes dryers -- ah, last year, ours stopped drying. Figured out it was because the door wasn't staying closed -- because the latch was cracked and broken. Looking it over, I noticed that there was a brand-new latch on the other side of the hole, so that you could have your door open to the left or to the right. Removed two screws, flipped the door over, and put it back together -- brand new latch works great.
:D
That one was easy, and fast, and saved me money.

I hate working on stuff around the house because I spend all week working on stuff at work. At the same time, I hate to pay someone to do something I can do myself. It's not the money as much as it's the principle behind it: I like the feeling of being self sufficient. It feels good AFTER you finish the job and know it was down right.

I had a similar problem with our dryer. The door presses a plastic button when it's shut. The dryer will not run if the button is not engaged. The tip of the plastic button snapped off. I ran a hex head sheet metal screw in the inside of door to act as a striker: Problem solved. It took 5 minutes to troubleshoot it and repair it.

• Members

Dude, you should do your own brake work. It's fairly easy and saves you a ton of cash.

No {censored}.

I'm driving a '90 Volvo 740. Got it for $500. Nickle and Diming it down the road is cheaper than a car payment. It's got 211000 on it, but it's a Volvo so it's just starting to break in.

Next summer I plan to get an old Schwinn with fat tires and put a bicycle engine kit on it. 100-150mpg, 35mph, no registration, fun to ride.

• Members
I was raised by a DIY type of guy. I usually take on most vehicle repair jobs and home repair jobs myself. I saved $600 + by repairing my furnace last winter. I saved $300 + by installing my hot water tank and dishwasher in the spring. I saved $200 + by replacing the rotors and pads on the wife's vehicle last fall. I saved $200 by clearing a clogged drain 2 days ago. I borrowed an industrial plumber's snake (the cool part of working with mutliple trade classifications) and cleaned out the 30'+ of the drain in my basement. It was messy, but it was quick and well worth the $200 I saved.

I hate working on stuff around the house because I spend all week working on stuff at work. At the same time, I hate to pay someone to do something I can do myself.
It's not the money as much as it's the principle behind it: I like the feeling of being self sufficient. It feels good AFTER you finish the job and know it was down right.

I had a similar problem with our dryer. The door presses a plastic button when it's shut. The dryer will not run if the button is not engaged. The tip of the plastic button snapped off. I ran a hex head sheet metal screw in the inside of door to act as a striker: Problem solved. It took 5 minutes to troubleshoot it and repair it.

For me, it's a matter of both money and self sufficiency, so I do the same whenever possible - plumbing, electrical, carpentry and routine car maintenance. None of it is rocket science. Long ago, I got fed up with guys feeding "a dumb girl" a line of sh** about a simple repair or routine maintenance, so I made a point of learning to do these things myself.

On the downside, I had to padlock my toolboxes or my ex would raid them and never put my stuff back where it belonged. :mad:

• Members
For me, it's a matter of both money and self sufficiency, so I do the same whenever possible - plumbing, electrical, carpentry and routine car maintenance. None of it is rocket science. Long ago, I got fed up with guys feeding "a dumb girl" a line of sh** about a simple repair or routine maintenance, so I made a point of learning to do these things myself.

On the downside, I had to padlock my toolboxes or my ex would raid them and never put my stuff back where it belonged.
:mad:

Ditto...it never ceases to amaze me how "borrowers-in-law" can find my tool box to help themselves to my tools, but can't find their way back to return 'em! :facepalm:

• Members
If you serve potato salad and rolls, it goes further...
:idea:

Good thinkin', Terry. :thu:

Hmmm.....add some baked beans and apple pie, too.

Of course, the day after baked beans, we'll have a percussion section and not have to hire a drummer. :freak:

Archived