OT: *poof* I think there goes my GAS fund

kwakatak

• Members

I f#ck!ng hate cars. I just put $1000 in it for new brake pads/rotors and a pair of tires and was looking at getting one more pair of tires before I put it on the block. Now I'm told that the bushings on the front lower control arms are shot - they'd run me about $800 to have replaced (the exact amount of my GAS fund) and the warranty ran out in January.

Funny thing is that everybody I talk to raves about Subaru Outbacks. They must lease and exchange because at almost 4 years old I've put 6 new tires on it and it's even got low miles. It's quickly surpassing my first lemon in costs and I've got 2 more years to pay on it. :facepalm:

Meanwhile, our other car has a pair of bad tires on it too. I have to check the air twice a week and every time I have to pump up both tires on the driver's side. I think my wife must've run over a nail or something. :mad:

So there goes my dream of getting another acoustic this year. I'm fine with having two to play but wanted to retire one and upgrade.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I f#ck!ng hate cars. I just put $1000 in it for new brake pads/rotors and a pair of tires and was looking at getting one more pair of tires before I put it on the block. Now I'm told that the bushings on the front lower control arms are shot - they'd run me about $800 to have replaced (the exact amount of my GAS fund) and the warranty ran out in January.

Funny thing is that everybody I talk to raves about Subaru Outbacks. They must lease and exchange because at almost 4 years old I've put 6 new tires on it and it's even got low miles. It's quickly surpassing my first lemon in costs and I've got 2 more years to pay on it.
:facepalm:

Meanwhile, our other car has a pair of bad tires on it too. I have to check the air twice a week and every time I have to pump up both tires on the driver's side. I think my wife must've run over a nail or something.
:mad:

So there goes my dream of getting another acoustic this year. I'm fine with having two to play but wanted to retire one and upgrade.

I have an '05 Outback with about 65,000. I just replaced struts (I run some really bad roads during hunting season) and unexpectedly, a left front bearing set for $1000. Apparently, I can expect the right to go soon, and our generation Outback is supposedly prone to eating up rear bearings. Previously had a coil go bad (not covered by warranty) for about $700. Last Winter, the main belt pulley sucked itself back into the engine after a rubber spacer disintegrated (that one got covered under warranty).

All I ever read or heard was that Subarus were bullet-proof. Not mine. Can't really complain about the struts I guess. I would actually consider buying the current (new) generation Outback. I tend to jinx any car, regardless of its reliability record, and the Outback does just about exactly what I need a car to do. The all-wheel drive system works much better than any I've had in the past. Damn car is just about unstoppable, as long as it has ground clearance.

• Members

FWIW I have one of those "new generation" Outbacks and I don't beat it except for riding the sport shifter during times of heavy traffic. I agree that in the winter the AWD is a Godsend (I live up on top of a big hill) but in the summer months all it does is help eat up the gas - no pun intended. We were hoping to trade it for an AWD Toyota Sienna (minivan) because the outback is too small for hauling two small boys who don't always get along but are forced to sit within swinging/kicking/poking/biting distance of each other. There's not even any leg room in the front. Put the stroller in the back and you might as well forget about stopping at the grocery store. Having two kid seats in the back also means that it can only hold 4, which means some (otherwise lucky bastard)'s gotta stay home if grandma comes to town. Hell, the damned thing is even too small to haul my electric guitar, amp, acoustic guitar, mic stand, etc. without having to leave the cover over the storage area pulled back.

Gawd, I wish this POS were paid for because I'd junk it on principal. :mad:

• Members

Man, that just really sucks. Sorry, Kwak.

One of the few positives to living in this sewer of a town is that I don't have to have a car. What a constant pain in the ass. A couple years back when I was in FL for work, I got an Outback from the rental folks and absolutely loved it... Guess I won't ever be buying one for keeps, though. I'll get a Ford and complain to the H-man when {censored} goes wrong with it.

• Members

Geez kwak! :(

I hope you find a way to get both your car fixed and your new guitar!

I don't have a car, I take the bus, the metro or a cab... Friends and colleagues often tell me that I should get a car but when I see what it costs them it makes me think twice... To me it's hobbies (computers, musical instruments, guitar lessons, sports) or a car... I could not get both, I think I would be too tight.

• Members
Geez kwak!
:(

I hope you find a way to get both your car fixed
and
your new guitar!

I don't have a car, I take the bus, the metro or a cab... Friends and colleagues often tell me that I should get a car but when I see what it costs them it makes me think twice... To me it's hobbies (computers, musical instruments, guitar lessons, sports)
or
a car... I could not get both, I think I would be too tight.

It's really gotten that way for a lot of us. I own some nice (but "affordable") guitars, but live in a small ranch and drive a junky old car, when it's drivable.... Luxuries are when I buy a bunch of new strings :rolleyes:.

• Members

Tough luck, Neil. Cars can be a real PITA - it always seems that lots of things go wrong at the same time :cry:.

Now that I've passed the big 60 I have my bus pass (courtesy of the government) that allows me to travel free on buses so that's what I'm trying to do whenever I can - one of the few consolations of growing old:facepalm:

• Members

Yeah, I know. I pretty much need a car to shuttle the kiddies around though and don't want to cheap out. I'm gonna get a second opinion and probably change mechanics too. I've been going to the same place for 12 years now and lately I haven't been satisfied because none of the same people work there. I should've walked when they charged me $1K for brakes.

• Members

I'd definitely get a second opinion. $1000 for brake pads and rotors? The only way that can be that expensive is if the rotor comes in one huge assembly, which is doubtful, but possible. Or it's made of some sort of carbon fiber titanium gold alloy something-or-other.

My brother used to be a service manager for KMart. The first thing the mechanics do is look for other things to fix. Go in for an oil change and *poof*, you need brakes. In CA, that's a popular one because a shop can't release your car if they know you've got dangerously worn brakes.

Did you get a look at the bushings yourself? Those things are meant to last a lot longer than 40,000 miles. Your conditions may vary, but I'd want to look at them first.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, Kwak. I hope everything turns out for the better and you can stay on track for the guitar you want.

• Members

I have owned any number of jeeps, cars, suv's and trucks. From Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Volvo, and a 60's "Jeep" jeep with the Willys' tailgate.

And out of all of them, the Honda CRV was by far, the best and most reliable and just keeps on going. After 4 years and over 100k all I have done is put 1 set of tires and regular oil changes...that car is phenominal. I will buy another. It's all wheel drive and still gets 25mpg. Tons of room and a decent stereo system.

I used to off road race my '63 Jeep. It had a Buick Hurricane engine in it, and produced some nasty rpms in the lower gears...top speed about 60. I had baffles installed in the oil pan and the block drilled out with extra holes for cooling. You could uphill at a 60degree incline and not starve the engine of oil. I did really well with it....it wasn't an everyday car, but I had more fun with it than even the Cuda I used to race up at Great Lakes Speedway. Teeter Automotive in Elgin, Illinois worked on my Jeep and also re-built my 'Cuda engine. They used to do builds for "Sox and Martin" at the time. It was a screamer...ah, the good ole days.

But I'm off thread here......Sorry about the car stuff. There is nothing that pisses me off more than to have to spend money on a car. I currently have an '96 850 that needs the whole brake system replaced...I think I'm just going to dump it instead. Engine runs good, but everything else on it is falling apart...in its defense, I really didn't take care of it and it got vandalized pretty bad twice.

• Members

Hey Kwak...I've been there too. Every time I got close to saving for my J45, one of the kids needed help or a car blew up or I lost a job, etc. It sucks. I have sold all my REAL guitars due to money situations over the years, and I hated it every time. I just try to enjoy what I have at the moment, knowing that tomorrow could bring disaster. I'll do my best to help you find that Martin when you're ready. If I run into a super deal I'll buy one and hold on to it for ya. I'm sure it wouldn't be a hardship...I get to play it while you saving up.

• Members

Awwww, Neil....I'm sooo sorry to hear that.

Still, the safety of you and your family comes first, so your vehicles have to be kept in good condition.

I know how ya feel, though. I recently had to re-hock my Guild in order to pay for some car repairs. Got the git back finally, but the whole time it was gone, every time I looked at that car, I felt very resentful and wanted to kick its mechanical ass.

Archived