What instruments are played around your home?

outdoorgb

• Members

Just a simple question...what types of instruments are played in or around your home? And, perhaps by whom?

Me? - guitar and a little harmonica

Wife -little clarinet, singing, little piano

Son - clarinet, bass clarinet

Daughter - piano, singing

Cat - nothing

• Members

My mom plays piano and she sings quite well, though she only does the former around the house. My sister can play the trumpet, and she practices from time to time. I play guitar (every day), clarinet (rarely...not anymore, anyway), and mandolin (a few times a week), and I sing on occasion as well---usually while I'm playing guitar.

My dad plays the radio fairly well, but he has trouble with even that sometimes :facepalm::cop:.

• Members

In order of regularity mando, piano and guitar. I've played all three since Saturday. Very rarely the wife will bring a fiddle home from the shop and we'll do some duets or she'll teach a lesson, but it's been a few months now.

I mess around with several different vst instruments often enough, but I'm not sure they count.

• Members

So far I'm the only musically-inclined person in my household though my younger boy is showing an interest in playing my guitars - he even models after my strumming technique and goes at the strings and sings.

OTOH my older son shows an interest in general but it's mostly children's music and he (like I suspect my wife feels) only sees my guitars as something that draws my attention away from them. He's more likely to try and break them any way he can, so they stay in their cases. Bear in mind that he's autistic so by definition he's completely self-absorbed like that, but even if he weren't I suspect he'd rather be doing something else. I have a feeling that the kid is gonna be some kind of engineer or something like that; he's always getting lost in how things move (not what sounds they make) and I suspect that he might end up being some sort of mechanical engineer or some such.

As for my wife, she comes from a family that is either skilled a baking or singing/performing. She used to make a mean cheesecake. 'nuff said.

• Members

Me - guitar, violin, cello, flute, recorder, keyboards, drums, harmonica, jew's harp, saw.

Wife - zero. She models ear plugs very well.

Daughter 12 - guitar, keyboard, piano, recorder

Daughter 14 - guitar, keyboard, drums

Son 18 - guitar, keyboard, cello, drums

Daughter 23 - guitar, flute

• Members

Me - guitar, violin, cello, flute, recorder, keyboards, drums, harmonica, jew's harp, saw.

Wife - zero. She models ear plugs very well.

Daughter 12 - guitar, keyboard, piano, recorder

Daughter 14 - guitar, keyboard, drums

Son 18 - guitar, keyboard, cello, drums

Daughter 23 - guitar, flute

Gary, you remind me of my sons' guitar/piano teacher. He's a long-timer good friend who's also the best guitar player I've ever met personally. He played professionally for awhile, still plays regularly in a band that he hopes might make it professionally, and does a fair amount of local session work. He also has a few guitar-related inventions to his credit, including the Standback amp stand (http://www.standback.net/) and P3 phantom-powered amp/pedal system (http://dcvoltage.net/).

Anyway, he started out on piano, which he studied intensively beginning when he was 5, continuing until he was 15. He also took clarinet and violin lessons during that period. When he was 15 he took up guitar: the guy can play everything from Robert Johnson to Wes Montgomery to Eric Johnson, flawlessly. He also plays bass and drums. He told me the first time he picked up a mandolin - during a recording session where he was asked to give it a go because the song called for it - his first thought was, "Oh wow, it's like a violin, but it's got frets!"

Funny story: I first met him when he began coming to our church about ten years ago. He joined our worship team, and the first time I rehearsed with him he was on bass and I was on electric guitar (which is personally very embarrassing in hindsight; I didn't deserve to be on the same stage with him). It was the week before Christmas. When rehearsal ended, he walked over to the keyboard and started plinking around. I jokingly said, "Hey, Jason, play the Charlie Brown theme." I was joking - I had no idea he could play piano - but he assumed I was serious, so he played it - spot on, the whole way through.

• Members

My sister played the piano, recently plays the guitar but I doubt she has any interest in playing music anymore.

I guess it's pretty much just me playing the guitar mostly, though I dabbled alot in the violin when I was in high school and a little in the piano when I was much younger.

I'm the only one who plays music on my spare time. My parents are too preoccupied with their careers/house work.

• Members

Me - guitars, mandolin-family instruments, concertina, various banjos, dulcimer, harmonica, bass, hand-percussion, flute, other odd-ball strings, sing.

Wife - clarinet, penny whistle, sing

Daughter - violin/fiddle, bass, hand-percussion, drum set, baritone uke, a little guitar, piano, sing

Eldest Son (lives elsewhere) - about the best trombonist I've ever heard!

Youngest son - sings, learning how to manipulate a turn-table ("scratching")

All of the Great Danes and the Irish Wolfhound sing along with violin, concertina, harmonica and voice, but they never remember any of the words! :facepalm:

• Members

Me...Electric, acoustic, and classical guitar, and I sing...a lot...to the annoyance of most, but I like it:D

Conor, my son...Acoustic guitar.

Brian, my son...Piano

Anna, my daughter...starting piano soon, since she is yearning to be like her brother. Cute stuff. She won't stop singing, either.

Wife...nothing,,,not even me, Dammit.:mad:

Oh well. The house is a veritable cornicopia of unbridled talent! :facepalm:

• Members

Me - guitars, mandolin-family instruments, concertina, various banjos, dulcimer, harmonica, bass, hand-percussion, flute, other odd-ball strings, sing.

Wife - clarinet,
penny whistle
, sing

Daughter - violin/fiddle, bass, hand-percussion, drum set, baritone uke, a little guitar, piano, sing

Eldest Son (lives elsewhere) - about the best trombonist I've ever heard!

Youngest son - sings, learning how to manipulate a turn-table ("scratching")

All of the Great Danes and the Irish Wolfhound sing along with violin, concertina, harmonica and voice, but they never remember any of the words!
:facepalm:

Tried to learn once, but if you don't have a background in wind instruments, they're surprisingly difficult to get to grips with. Lovely sound, though.

What kind of dulcimer, TAH? Mountain or hammered?

Around my house:

Me: Guitar, bass, banjo, mandolin, melodica, very occasional balalaika.

Brother: Guitar and drums

Dad: 3 chords on the guitar, but he's a very good singer.

• Members

Tried to learn once, but if you don't have a background in wind instruments, they're surprisingly difficult to get to grips with. Lovely sound, though.

Yeah, she tells me that it's a lot different than clarinet, but my background on flute and recorder makes it a bit easier for me...otoh, I've only figured out a few jigs, so far.

What kind of dulcimer, TAH? Mountain or hammered?

Mountain, but we're looking to get a hammered dulcimer soon...my wife really wants to learn how to play one, so I'm hoping to get her one for her Winter Holiday gift.

Around my house:

Me: Guitar, bass, banjo, mandolin, melodica, very occasional balalaika.

Brother: Guitar and drums

Dad: 3 chords on the guitar, but he's a very good singer.

Doodle around on a prima balalaika some, but recently discovered I've been using the wrong tuning, so I'm working out new chords and fingerings, so as to get a more authentic "vibe".

• Members

Doodle around on a prima balalaika some, but recently discovered I've been using the wrong tuning, so I'm working out new chords and fingerings, so as to get a more authentic "vibe".

What tuning are you using? I'm in EEA, but I play with a plectrum, so it's hardly authentic.

• Members

What tuning are you using? I'm in EEA, but I play with a plectrum, so it's hardly authentic.

Was using C-E-G, which is akin to open C on guitar, but now I'm re-learning it in E-E-A, and using my thumb to make chords (correct balalaika technique, apparently).

And a very thick plectum is standard.

If you can find The Best Balalaika Method Yet by Bob Kail (Ashley Publications Inc./Lewis Music Publishing Co), it's a great book to get the skinny on this odd little instrument..

• Members

Was using C-E-G, which is akin to open C on guitar, but now I'm re-learning it in E-E-A, and using my thumb to make chords (correct balalaika technique, apparently).

And a very thick plectum is standard.

If you can find
The Best Balalaika Method Yet
by Bob Kail (Ashley Publications Inc./Lewis Music Publishing Co), it's a great book to get the skinny on this odd little instrument..

Awesome, I'll look out for it.

I've been using the thumb, but I'm sort of used to that from the Irish banjo, so it was a relatively easy transition.

Archived