VOM 23 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Raincheck Sunday, December 20, 2009

Stackabones

• Members

Well, by my clock it's almost closing time ... but you know what? If it's still Second Sunday where you live, keep posting. Even it's a bit past Second Sunday and Monday Morning is blinking its bright eyes in your face ...

post 'em if you got 'em!

The mic is still on if you need it ...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:wave:

Omar
:thu:

Yo he sentido el dolor de que tu cantaste... dia tras dia... hasta encontre mi amor, en quien mi vida ahora se cansa.

I have felt the pain you sing about... day after day.. until I found my love, in whom my life now rests.

Excuse my espanish, my fellow hispanic fluffy! :o:D Beautiful song!:thu:

• Members

Hi everyone

Another great VOM with some excellent performances by all participants. Sorry you couldn't play my submission - the song title had commas in it and I think the Music Hosting couldn't cope with them. I've removed the commas, re-uploaded the song and PMed Joe to amend the link so hopefully it will be OK shortly.

In the meantime, here is another link:

http://www.box.net/shared/7gb69glg70

• Members

Yo he sentido el dolor de que tu cantaste... dia tras dia... hasta encontre mi amor, en quien mi vida ahora se cansa.

I have felt the pain you sing about... day after day.. until I found my love, in whom my life now rests.

Excuse my espanish, my fellow hispanic fluffy!
:o:D
Beautiful song!
:thu:

Muchas Gracias mi querido amigo Trastes99!! (Frets99)

:D

• Members

BlackHatHunter- real nice. like the mandolin. Nice easy feel to the vocals.

tbryson- Can't ever get enough of the Beatles. You do them so well. Great job.

chriscarnucci- nice song. well-written and performed. sweet and sad.

garthman- lovely, man. Your stuff always sounds like it was conjured up from The Ancients. I dig it.

Samilyn- lovely. chimey and warm. like comfort food. You're getting very proficient in the studio, girl!

rhancox- wonderful old song, well sung, man.

Melodeous- I dig this tune. I really dig this tune. no, really.

Stackabones- this is a beauty, stack. old-timey, with a skosh of R&B.

Galabar- Love this old chestnut. You do it proud. Instruments have this cool primitive sound. How'd you do that?

Michael Martin- 12 7 9 12 7 9er. This is very cool. Captured that great white north feel to it.

g6120- good one, Gil. Your voice sounds better than ever, man.

dannysigma- OK. yeah, that one. uh huh. merry xmas, man.

Shamuspizzbutt- great tune. Fine job. Played with feeling and panache. Happy Hollandaise back @ ya.

fatback- George Gershwin always in season.I like your string bends. I was humming Hit the Road Jack at times there, too, which is a good thing.

hypcollector- good one with a hook, and a message. I like it.

riovine- another beauty. man, you are so relaxed. Your guitar sounds great.

FussenKuh- that was pretty cool from the starship enterprise. Don't know Gary Hoey's work, but this was cool.

TSMusic- Mr Energy. You're right. This is powerful without being high-speed.

c70man- Beautiful song. A favorite Christmas song of mine. Lovely arrangement. Well done c70man!

knockwood- comes out of hiding, and with a big splash. 'bout time. long over due. Fine job; both sanging and peckin'! seriously there's a nuanced character to each that endears.

Frets99- well done. good guitar work, frets. I like her voice.

brianwahl- good vibe. strong vocals, as we have come to expect from you.

Starrshine- loved it. extra points for being extra chimey.

phoniclab- great job. haven't heard that tune in years. your voice is well-suited to this song and style.

If there were more on the next page, I couldnt get to them before the HC site crapped out on me !AGAIN!

great job this month, boys and girls.

OK, picking up where I left old.

Chordchunker- this one was really worth waiting for the HC site to come back up. Love it. A little jelly roll is always welcome.

bobc- a real nice collaboration, Bob.

orbm1- muy bien! the orbm1 family band. that was great! man, you got the pipes.

kwakatak- good job, Neil. I especially like the assist you get from the younger members of the choir. You probably think I'm joking. Wait 'til you replay these about 15 years from now.

• Members

Hi everyone

Another great VOM with some excellent performances by all participants. Sorry you couldn't play my submission - the song title had commas in it and I think the Music Hosting couldn't cope with them. I've removed the commas, re-uploaded the song and PMed Joe to amend the link so hopefully it will be OK shortly.

Fixed that for you Garth.. New link http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=garthman/O_Come_O_Come_Emmanuel.mp3

Also repaired the code to auto correct this in the future. Thanks for the heads up.

• Members

Thanks to everyone for the comments on my submission. Very much appreciated.

I've been quite busy yesterday and today but here's what I've managed to listen to so far:

Queequeg - Beautifully done. Very creative too. Nice job.

BlackHatHunter - I'd never heard that song before but it is a beautiful tune, and you did it great justice. Well done.

tbryson - Wow, what a cool rendition. Well played and put together. I love your spin on the melody. Very good.

chriscarnucci - That was beautiful, Chris. I love the way the lyrics are arranged. It really adds a lot to the message. Another great original from you. I love your writing.

Garthman - I'll try the new link soon.

Samilyn - A wonderful song and the recording is really top notch. You mentioned how it takes you back to the Cascades. Well, as I listened and closed my eyes thinking of mountains, in general, a flood of memories came back to me of where my folks used to live in Shaver Lake, CA (in the Sierra, south of Yosemite). Sitting on the lakeshore, fishing with my dad. Sitting on their deck just watching the birds and the squirrels. What a great moment for me. Thanks.

Melodeous - Powerful song. You're right about the great lyrics. Your singing of it was great too. A lot of feeling.

Stackabones - Another fine piece of writing, Chris. Nice and clear recording too. Great sound.

Galabar - That was cool. Very nice rendition. So, when do we get to hear more from your orchestra?

Michael Martin - Beautiful song (again), Michael. You've written about many a girl. My what a life you must lead. ;-)

• Members

Hi everyone

Nice job. I like the effects on the guitar and the way it works with your voice.

• Members

A big thanks to everyone who checked out my tune this month! The feedback is always appreciated :D

Thus far, I've only had the time to cherry-pick a few songs. But, as usual, I'm always impressed and inspired by your work! We truly do have a large pool of fantastically talented people in our unique HCAG family.

• Members

While I rescued, i.e. reloaded, my wife's PC last night, I did some more listenin....

g6120 - You've teamed up with a great lyricist there, Gil. Good job on your part as well.

dannysigma - Funny tune. Reminds me of something The Kinks would have done.

Shamuspizzbutt - one of my all-time favorite Christmas tunes. It brings back so many childhood memories whenever I hear it. Thanks for that.

fatback - I like that little diddy. I could listen to that all day, or jam with it all day.

hypcollector - As my grandma would say, "You're a pip, Paul". Another of the writing genius' here at HCAG.

riovine - Excellent job. Another favorite Christmas tune of mine. I love your rendition. But hey, sit up once in a while, eh? ;)

Fussenkuh - great job, Fuss. I like your style. When's the Fussenkuh Christmas album coming out?

TSMusic - that was an excellent piece, Tony. It started out a little choppy, but it sounded great overall.

C70man - Beautifully done, man. I love the sound of that guitar. And hey, what pipes! Great job.

knockwood - Wow, you have been holding out on us. Fantastic song! Love that voice.

Frets99 - Nice duet, Frets. Swingin!

• Members

Well, here goes.....finally got time to go thru all the songs. But first, I want to thank everyone for listening and the nice comments.

Queegueg....What can I say, except.......SWEET! That parlor is a gem.

Blackhathunter....I have to admit I'm not a country fan in general, but a nice tune. Well done.

TBryson....Nice job...how can I not like a Beatle song?

Chriscarnucci....Nice song, especially liked the chorus...kinda "John Lennonish"

Garthman....Love those old Euro tunes...good stuff....nice job

Samilyn....very special song...love the sound of your 12'er.

Rhancox...nicely done, a little more production for my tastes, but a good job.

Melodeus....Fine playing...a really great song.

Stackabones...Can't help it...had to jump in and play along...very nice

Galabar...When I think of that song, I can't help but think of John Lennon. Your sound was very "Beatle like".....I like that.

MichaelMartin....That Hummingbird sounds gorgeous...nice song.

G6120....As another member has said....best job yet. I absolutely loved it. Great playing, excellent vocals. If you could pm me the lyrics, I would love to have them....thanks........great contribution this month.

dannysigma....I understand where you were going, but the lyrics were just too strong for my tastes...call me old fashion.....just not my cup of tea.

Shamuspizzbutt....I love hollandaise, especially on asparagus....I liked the song too!

Fatback....Summertime is one of my all time favs....nice job

Hypcollector....a fun song....with words to think about...good job

Riovine....Nice job as usual....but couldn't you have gotten a little more comfortable on the sofa while playing?

Fussenkuh....Man, I was waiting for that "Jimmy" lead to pop in any minute....

TSMusic....Nice melody, but a tad too much "crescendo" for my tastes...you do have a distinct sound.

Knockwood....Excellent......and that Martin sounds great.

Fretts99....Wow! Nice video work! I thought her voice sounded great and very nice accompanyment.

Brianwahl...You have a great video presence, along with a well balanced recording system. Matchbox 20 has some great tunes...your voice is really well suited for their music....fine job.

StarShine....What a great sounding dulcimer....very cool.

Phoiclab...Another one of those songs that made me pick up my guitar and play along....very nice job.

Chordchunker....Love Leon...I have tons of his stuff...nice job on a really difficult song.

BobC.....sorry, can't open file.

OrbM1...Why does your song urge me to open a bottle of red wine, grab a cigar, and consume some spicy food?.......very nice singing.

Kwak....last but not least...Hey, for god's sake, get the kid some cough medicine!......love the sound of 70's Taks....nice song.

• Members

Just finished listening to everything thoroughly. Twice. This is an enjoyable listen this month and I am in the Christmas mindstate thanks to many inspiring traditional tunes, highlighted by Shamuspizzbutt, Riovine, and Fussenkuh. My daughter played the Grinch in her Christmas play. NOISE, NOISE, NOISE, NOISE! Stackabones with more lyrics that stick. "My patience caught the mange" was/is the first great line of the next decade. I snort-laughed on that one. Mr. Carnucci adds impressively to the still needy list of new Christmas songs with It's Christmas. Mr. Martin's Erin is a great song and the imagry, especially in verse 2, was outstanding. The performance of the month was captured in Orbml's submission. At that moment, why would you want to be anywhere else? Mom's and Pop's did well. Like a scene from a movie. Mr Wahl was on the head of the nail with his performance. Great quality. Chordchunker chunked out my personal favorite with Mr Jelly Roll Baker. Dug it. Thanks to anyone who commented on and/or listened Quit Chasing Happiness. It was a song that came quick when the first line made an appearance in my head. Joy can be a constant condition if you realize it's presence. Emotions lead to traps and snares. In the words of the late, and great, Warren Zevon>>poor, poor, pitiful me.

Toast the fruitcake and roast the good steak. Have a joyful Christmas and a favorable New Year.....pg

• Members

I've finished the first page, and great work guys! I want to thank everyone who checked out my vid, and especially those who made such nice comments! I very much appreciate it!

This is a pretty tough time of year for me. I work for a large shipping company...and friends and family, and all that mess that we all deal with this time of year. Please forgive my lack of personalized critiques. Just keep up hte great work, and thanks for keeping this going.

Here's to a much quieter season...just around the corner! :thu:

Archived