VOM 23 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Raincheck Sunday, December 20, 2009

Stackabones

• Members

Original tune. Fingerpicked Morgan Monroe MV-01. Recorded on a Zoom H4n. Special guest appearance by my cell phone at 1:59 -- in tune and on the beat.

So far been a great bunch of songs - this is no exception - beautiful playing and singing - you make it sound simple - thats your artistery.

Phil

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a version of Silent Night that I did with a female partner a couple of years ago. Youtube audio really doesn't do her voice any justice. I found the video on Youtube and it matched up with the song perfectly.

[YOUTUBE]dQGuME3loHg[/YOUTUBE]

Edit: I updated the video link with a version that I think has better audio quality.

Here's an audio version of the song - http://hcbts.arkay.de/frets99/New%20Silent%20Night.mp3

• Members

My submission this month is an acoustic cover of "3 AM" by Matchbox 20. This song was written by Rob Thomas about his mother, who had cancer when he was a child.

gEgAQbGFpNU

Thanks for watching! I'm glad to be a part of this VOM - haven't participated in a few months.

• Members

Holy crap X2. c70man's got some pipes too.

Hey, man. I love the arrangement You wouldn't happen to have a jazzy arrangement of "Let It Snow" do you? I've been singing it around the house and am itching to play it against some nice jazzy chords. The only version I have is kinda country & western

Thanks, and glad you liked it...with a few more takes, I'm sure I could have sounded a lot better. That key is a little high for my range as well, but I really liked the chords I ended up with.

"Let it Snow"....well, I haven't worked with it, but let me see what I can come up with. I love to doodle around with originals. I'll try to put something together in the next couple of days.

I'm still trying to figure out how to sit in front of my camera and sing a song without looking really stupid...I tend to stare at the camera and then day dream a bit and lose where I am and where I'm going. Kinda weird...I guess I just need some more practice with it. My first "vid" take was horrendous looking and I kept singing the lyrics wrong, so I was too embarrassed to post it.

Stack, a million thanks for your advice on converting the file to a usable format. It worked! ...which may be unfortunate for anyone who actually listens to it...

Title: Nothing I Can Do

Credits: Ben Taylor

Played badly on a Martin 000-18 Custom tuned to Eb. When red light fever hits me, evidently the first thing to go out the window is my rhythm...
:facepalm:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1020866&songID=8505476

You may be wrong and a liar :o but that was really sweet!!! Great work!:thu:

• Members

More and more good playing each month...

Qeequeg...Beautiful harmonics. That is some good technical playing.

BHH...Your playing makes it seems so easy, but I know its not. Really good palying and singing.

Chris Car...You have talent for writing and playing. Always a pleasure listening to your songs.

garthman...sorry it wouldn't paly.

Samilyn...Nice intro and beautiful tone. A wonderful recording. I have gotta learn how to use synth.

rhancox...Love the recording and playing. Damn that was good!...The vocal may have had a touch to much reverb or mic position but really just a nit. Really good job!!

Melodeous...Beautiful fingerstyle playing. The vocals were great and it all fit so well. The H4 sounds great. Very impressive recording. I think I have said this before but it appears you have been playing quite awhile. It shows. Nice, nice work.

Stack...That great stack sound. I liked the walk down/up bass run. I want to learn to do that it. It adds so much more fullness and accomplishment. Great lyric as well.

Galabar...Love that old song. A live recording. Very cool!!

M.M...You have your style...Maybe Gordon Lightfoot could keep up with you but definatly good writing playing and singing. Thanks for your comments on my recording. I got to thinking about If I fell...that is a tall vocal order right there ...not to sure I'm up to that task...I'll look at it again but have been working on some others.

Star 9...Beautiful playing and the lyrics were great. Good collab!!

fatback...ahh...the summertime...Of course I live in California and had to mow my lawn yesterday:poke:..Beautiful playing. I have a long way to go to play like that. Thanks for your nice comments on my recording. It means a lot. You can steal it. John and Paul don't mind I'm sure.:)

knockwood...is that your first recording here.?..damn, what ya been waiting for. Really outstanding...it may have taken the award!

• Members

Got home from work feeling horrible, but there is a cure for that. It's called VOM1T and you great people are just the medicine I needed! Thanks so much for a relaxing afternoon filled with wonderful music.

Queequeg: So very sweet! I'm mucho impressed by your ability to create such lovely chimes. That's a pretty git, too. :)

BlackHatHunter: I dig your style and playing. I vaguely remember Emmy Lou's version of this and I really like what you've done with it.

Tbryson: Great job with this one. I really like your vocals - great idea to use two vox tracks. Very nicely done.

Chriscarnucci: Wow, Chris. I sure wish I had your talent for writing great lyrics. Lovely song indeed.

Garthman: I couldn't get it to play, either. :( Try to upload it again and if that doesn't work, get with OhioArrow/Joe. Would love to hear it. My song is hosted at the Archive site, too, and it plays just fine.

Rhancox: I never heard Clapton do this one, so I'm listening with "fresh" ears. Very cool sound and I dig your vocals a lot. Thanks for a great listen.

Melodeous: I always enjoy your music and this tune is no exception. It's wonderful! I love the sound of the git, too, and got so wrapped up in the music that I really didn't notice the fret buzz.

Stackabones: :thu: Punchy and cool, Stack. You're a helluva songwriter and I really dig your music.

Galabar: I've always liked this song and love this live performance. Wish I could have been there!

Michael Martin: Wow, Michael. Your music never fails to take me to a good world outside of myself. Love your sound and your oh-so-romantic lyrics. Only two gits, vox, and tambourine? Sounds bigger than that. :)

G6120: Very nice, Gil. Your music is perfect for these lyrics and it does indeed have an Americana feel. I like this a lot.

Dannysigma: I love it! I'm LMAO at these great lyrics and your playing is great. Pure fun!! :thu:

Shampizzbutt: Love the woodiness and depth of the git. This vid invokes a wonderfully relaxed feeling in me. Wish it were longer!

Fatback: I've loved this song since I was a kid and really like your version of it. Warms me up like a glass of good wine. Thanks!

Hypocollector: Lyrics that make quite a statement, combined with mellow, woody git make for a very interesting song indeed. I like this.

Riovine: That git sounds amazing and your fingerstyle playing makes me jealous. Well done!

FussenKuh: OMG...how cool is this? Very, very cool indeed. I loved it!!

TSMusic: This is very powerful music indeed, that touches something deep inside me. I'll soon be heading over to SoundClick for a listen to the orchestrated version.

C70man: I imagine you sitting by a fire singing to us as we all relax on cushy sofas. Simply wonderful!

Knockwood: What wonderful git tone - deep and rich, highlighted by chiming trebles and your voice has a velvety richness that's perfect for this song. Very nice.

Frets99: And yet another wonderful vid from you, Frets! Totally unexpected, this one. Man, that's quite a set of pipes your singer has and your great playing can stand on its own here, vox or no vox.

Brianwahl: Glad to have you back, Brian. Love this song and am soooo impressed by the sound quality of your vid.

Starrshine: I dearly love the sound of a dulcimer and this recording is simply wonderful! The 12-string works beautifully with the dulcimer.

Again, thanks everyone, for a very nice afternoon.

• Members

Ok, running a little behind today, but here's my entry for this month's VOM. I don't really know any christmas songs, but in the spirit of winter and the storm that hit the East Coast this weekend, I decided to do an acoustic version of R.E.O. Speedwagon's classic rock song Riding The Storm Out.

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=phoniclab/Riding_The_Storm_Out.mp3

• Members

Ok, running a little behind today, but here's my entry for this month's VOM. I don't really know any christmas songs, but in the spirit of winter and the storm that hit the East Coast this weekend, I decided to do an acoustic version of R.E.O. Speedwagon's classic rock song Riding The Storm Out.

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=phoniclab/Riding_The_Storm_Out.mp3

I'm diggin this and I'm swaying to your tune as I type this post. Well done, sir! :thu:

• Members

My parents are digging themselves out in Baltimore...18-20 inches they say.

Cool tune and not an easy tune to do...Good job! You rocked it pretty well!

• Members

Here is a song I wrote with a guy on another forum. He posted the guitar part and asked if anyone could write a song to it. I gave it a try and here is how it turned out.

It's titled... Place In Time.

Hope you all enjoy it...:)

• Members

First of all...

All of the submissions for this and previous VOM are awesome!!!!

Thanks to all for sharing your talents!!!

Now,

I have been wanting to post and I have not being to "make" the time to record something....

SO.... For this month, as my first submission, I will post a video that got recorded for the opening of a small home-restaurant (My parents)...

My Mom is the Hostess and My dad is the guitar on the left... I am the "fluffy" one singing...

Thanks for letting me share...

BTW.... it is in spanish and it is a Song call "Idolo," a Peruvian Vals.

[YOUTUBE]QBPaycT3in8[/YOUTUBE]

:wave:

Omar :thu:

• Members

My submission this month is a cover of contemporary praise song by Chris Rice entitled "Go Light Your World." It may not seem very holiday-oriented, but my church's praise band (of which I am a member) has played this the past few years during the annual Advent concert in early December.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7HwwzL5Ppo

Very nice song. Like the nice easygoing way you play it. And love the backup singers too! :)

• Members

Very nice song. Like the nice easygoing way you play it. And love the backup singers too!
:)

Thanks. I have a video on DVD-R somewhere of us doing this song in church a couple years ago. The sanctuary was all decked out in Christmas decorations and it was an evening service so it seemed like the entire congregation was there. There had to be 300 people there, easily. They dimmed the lights during the song and passed out candles to everybody. In fact, the song is always the finale of an hour-long concert of holiday music from musical groups of various types - and most are members of our church, not outsiders. I always remember that whenever I hear or play the song. It instantly puts me in the Christmas spirit.

Archived