To bone or not to bone my Larrivee OM-03???

Misha

• Members

My beloved OM-03 will get its crack fixed next week.

I really love the sound of it and I'm wondering if I should bone it or not? (Bone saddle, bone nut.)

Will it just add sustain or cut the mids and make it maybe too bright??? :rolleyes:

By the way, this is the luthier that will do the repair. The video is in French (unfortunately) but I'm sure some of you will appreciate his skills and guitars. He says it takes 300-400 hours to build a classical guitar. 600-700 for a Jazz guitar!!!

I think I'm in good hands for the repair!

[YOUTUBE]6bQyEW8pjj8&feature=player_embedded#[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I really love the sound of it and I'm wondering if I should bone it or not? (Bone saddle, bone nut.)

If you truly love the sound, don't change it.

However:

I would ask the luthier about saving the old saddle and nut and what it would cost to have them re-installed in case you don't like the change. That way you can always get back to the same sound. :poke:(And sell the old/new nut and saddle to Glenn at a profit!)

• Members

Yep, to echo what other's have said. If it sounds good to you then don't mess with it. TusQ is as good if not better(more consistant) then bone so you won't really get much other then saying "I've got a bone nut and saddle" from doing it. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

• Members

Why not have a bone saddle made by the tech/luthier and keep the Tusq if it's still good. You can switch between the two to see which you like better.

I've read the bone sounds "different" but have no experience on the matter.

• Members

Why not have a bone saddle made by the tech/luthier and keep the Tusq if it's still good. You can switch between the two to see which you like better.

That sounds like a plan since it's pretty easy to switch out a saddle. That way if you don't care for the sound you can slip the stock one back in place. If you do like the sound then you can spring for getting the nut done too. Great idea Gitmo.:thu:

• Members

Hummm! Seems like a good idea!

• Members

+1 :thu:

As many kudos as Tusq gets, it's still not used on the higher-end instruments. It's consistency is of a greater advantage in guitars that use an under the saddle pickup for amping. As I recall, your Larrivee does not have one.

I have carved bone saddles for all of my guitars and I like the results.

• Members

And, I believe any noticeable difference in tone will be mostly attributable to the saddle. I have substituted bone saddles for TUSQ on some guitars and sometimes notice a difference, but not always. Never felt the need for the expense of a bone nut.

• Members

You can buy a buy saddle directly from Larrivee. They come stock on the 05 and up series guitars. It's a drop in replacement.

I would leave the stock nut alone because the nut has little effect on the tone.

You will save a lot of money.

• Members

Do it, Misha. You should even do the saddle yourself and save a little money and gain some experience. That's the first thing I did with my OM-03R because the guitar sounded like it was stuffed with socks. It made a big difference in sustain and clarity.

I had a bone nut put in porfessionally about a year ago and while there wasn't much difference tonally I just wanted rid of that cheap-looking tusq nut.

• Members

Well, I own an OM-03 and I did have my luthier change to a bone nut and saddle, and I would say that it was a significant upgrade in tone (having heard the guitar both ways). As others have mentioned, the nut doesn't really help much, so you can save a few bucks there if you want. Personally, I just wanted them both to match, and considered that more of a cosmetic upgrade than a tonal upgrade. But, if mine got destroyed and I got another OM-03, I'd do the upgrade without a second thought.

• Members

i had bone put in to replace the tusq on my d03. there is definitely a difference, so anyone who tells you otherwise is full of it. better or worse is subjective, but i found it added clarity and higher frequencies. had the saddle and pins replaced. i haven't plugged in yet however, so i don't know what kind of effect it has on the under-saddle baggs pickup.

• Members

I emailed the luthier to know how it would cost for a new bone nut and a new bone saddle.

It should be around 60$ CAD/each... (Including the materials??? Not sure.)

I hope the luthier will be available next week to work on my guitar. Maybe not. The guy is allowed to take a vacation too! I could not reach him today...

If it's 120$ or less, taxes included, I might go for it. I'm still not sure.

I decided that I would work less in 2010. I did a lot of overtime last year, maybe 500 hours and I got very tired... I have good gears now. I don't want to buy more in 2010, just use what I have and become a better player. I just want to have to pay for my lessons and setups. Maybe upgrades, but no more new toys! It's time to play!

• Members

I emailed the luthier to know how it would cost for a new bone nut and a new bone saddle.

It should be around 60$ CAD/each... (Including the materials??? Not sure.)

I hope the luthier will be available next week to work on my guitar. Maybe not. The guy is allowed to take a vacation too! I could not reach him today...

If it's 120$ or less, taxes included, I might go for it. I'm still not sure.

I decided that I would work less in 2010. I did a lot of overtime last year, maybe 500 hours and I got very tired... I have good gears now. I don't want to buy more in 2010, just use what I have and become a better player. I just want to have to pay for my lessons and setups. Maybe upgrades, but no more new toys! It's time to play!

I could see paying that much for the nut, but the saddle is definitely something you can do on your own. I ordered mine from Bob Colosi and guitarsaddles.com for about $25 ($20 + shipping) then I spent another $5 at the local hardware store getting sandpaper. The saddle came with detailed instructions on what to do. It took me about 45 minutes.

• Members

I could see paying that much for the nut, but the saddle is definitely something you can do on your own. I ordered mine from Bob Colosi and guitarsaddles.com for about $25 ($20 + shipping) then I spent another $5 at the local hardware store getting sandpaper. The saddle came with detailed instructions on what to do. It took me about 45 minutes.

Maybe it's cheaper than 60$ each, Kwak. I'm waiting for the price list.

I could try to do it myself but I'm not a handy person at all... For 30-40$, I will just pay the difference. Also, keep in mind that in Canada, everything is always more expensive than in the States! :cry:

• Members

Hi Misha,

My tech/luthier guy made me a bone nut and saddle for an old Yamaha I had and it cost me $55 for the nut and $35 for the saddle including materials. Also, my tech had the work done in less than 24 hours. That is why he is the BEST in Ottawa. He works out of the Ottawa Folklore Centre.

http://www.ottawafolklore.com/

His website: http://www.magma.ca/~musicdoc/

• Members

Misha, don't order a bone saddle from Colosi. Order it from Larrivee. It will be perfectly shaped and ready to drop in. Best part, it will be less than half of what Colosi charges.

I went 3 ways on bone saddles for Larrivee guitars:

I made my own from a bone blank.

I ordered one from Colosi.

I ordered one from Larrivee.

Making your own saddle from a blank takes time and patience. The Colosi bone saddle was great but it required a bit of sanding to get it to fit in the saddle slot. The Larrivee saddle dropped in and fit perfectly. I sanded a bit off the bottom to get it the right height.

Archived