To bone or not to bone my Larrivee OM-03???

Misha

• Members

Hi Misha:

A bone saddle may improve your sound, but a nut is probably not worth the money.

Yes, you can order one from Colosi or Larrivee, but it might be best to have Sylvain make one. Then you will be certain that it will fit your guitar exactly.

cheers

un ancien montrealais

• Members

Hi Misha:

A bone saddle may improve your sound, but a nut is probably not worth the money.

Yes, you can order one from Colosi or Larrivee, but it might be best to have Sylvain make one. Then you will be certain that it will fit your guitar exactly.

cheers

un ancien montrealais

Sylvain Courcelles is the one I trust to fix my cracked OM-03. I'm still not sure if I will bone it though. I can still ask Mr. Courcelles to do it later! I will not try to do it myself. I'm not a handy person and I'm not patient at these things either!

Since I posted this thread, one of my cats got sick. I will get her "fixed" before I put a bone saddle on my guitar. The Larrivee sounds good right now. The cat, not so much! I'll see how it will cost for her before I go for the new saddle. Vets are often expensive... I want to make sure I will be able to handle the bill without going into debts before I upgrade the Larrivee.

Thank's for your input, M. l'ancien montr

• Members

I disagree... You will need to have it intonated either way. My larrivee came with the usual compensated tusq saddle and the intonation was off. Larrivee will "pre intonate" them, but it will usually be slightly off. I suggest just having the bridge done if money is an issue.

And sure, you can do it yourself... but getting it perfectly intonated (very important to sound quality) may be frustrating. I'd just get it done by a pro.

• Members

I disagree... You will need to have it intonated either way. My larrivee came with the usual compensated tusq saddle and the intonation was off. Larrivee will "pre intonate" them, but it will usually be slightly off. I suggest just having the bridge done if money is an issue.

And sure, you can do it yourself... but getting it perfectly intonated (very important to sound quality) may be frustrating. I'd just get it done by a pro.

You certainly make a point here... I had in mind to start the year without spending tomuch money on gears... I have now to be reasonable!

And being reasonable may mean that it would be a good thing to put a bone sadle and a bone nut while the guitar is in the hands of the luthier to get the best setup for it!

• Members

Since I posted this thread, one of my cats got sick. I will get her "fixed" before I put a bone saddle on my guitar. The Larrivee sounds good right now. The cat, not so much! I'll see how it will cost for her before I go for the new saddle. Vets are often expensive... I want to make sure I will be able to handle the bill without going into debts before I upgrade the Larrivee.

Cat first, then guitar.

I want to repeat what others have said here - a new nut will be more expensive than a saddle and will add little or nothing to the sound. If you decide to replace the saddle, Sylvain will be able to adjust it for best intonation.

I hope that all goes well.

- amateur de Lhasa

• Members

Cat first, then guitar.

I want to repeat what others have said here - a new nut will be more expensive than a saddle and will add little or nothing to the sound. If you decide to replace the saddle, Sylvain will be able to adjust it for best intonation.

I hope that all goes well.

- amateur de Lhasa

Well, it's my first day at the office after the holidays. I had in mind to work less in 2010 but... I'll work until 4:30 tomorrow morning.

I just can't say no! I'm a workoholic...

... But I should be able to afford a new saddle since it doesn't look like I'm going to work less, finally! :idk:

• Members

i didn't know larrivee sold replacements. how much? i've always considered doing this to mine, as i'm kind of a tinkerer, and always curious about these things, although i am pretty happy with the sound.

as for colosi vs larrivee-

colosi advertises the following-"Larrivee (B & Low E string compensation)", which is a specialized saddle to accommodate lower tunings. i'd really like that. a lot. because i tune down pretty far, and it buzzes sometimes (i should have the action raised, but still). does larrivee do this sort of thing, as well?

love,

eor

• Members

. . . colosi advertises the following-"Larrivee (B & Low E string compensation)", which is a specialized saddle to accommodate lower tunings. i'd really like that. a lot. because i tune down pretty far, and it buzzes sometimes (i should have the action raised, but still). does larrivee do this sort of thing, as well? . . .

It's not completely uncommon. While I've never had the privilege of playing a Larriv

• Members

i didn't know larrivee sold replacements. how much? i've always considered doing this to mine, as i'm kind of a tinkerer, and always curious about these things, although i am pretty happy with the sound.

as for colosi vs larrivee-

colosi advertises the following-"Larrivee (B & Low E string compensation)", which is a specialized saddle to accommodate lower tunings. i'd really like that. a lot. because i tune down pretty far, and it buzzes sometimes (i should have the action raised, but still). does larrivee do this sort of thing, as well?

love,

eor

I'll have to post pics of my Larrivee saddle. I don't see any such compensation, but I ordered it 3 years ago. My Martin's saddle has a compensated low E region though.

Archived