VOM Reminder -- Virtual Open Mic This Sunday!

Stackabones

• Members
I've got a special Valentine's Day surprise cooking.
:thu:

Hmmm. Hard to decide whether to go romantical as usual or try a cover, to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the concert that rearranged my DNA...I wasn't there, alas, but I've re-lived it about 80,000 times. Yes indeed, it was February 14, 1970...

the-who-live-at-leeds.jpg

• Members

Thing is, my submission sits here;

http://www.myguitarspace.com/profile/GlennFreeman

It is the top song, 'Goodbye' written by Paul McCartney, originally performed by Mary Hopkin. The problem is, all of the songs stream together. I don't know how to direct link to just that song. :confused:

Anyways, we'll be busy on Sunday. Dinner and a show, that kind of thing.

The song was recorded live; me on my Lakewood M-18, my wife on vocals. A couple of rehearsals, and then I hit the record button. That's the take. Hope you enjoy!

Cheers,

Glenn

• Members

It is the top song, 'Goodbye' written by Paul McCartney, originally performed by Mary Hopkin. The problem is, all of the songs stream together. I don't know how to direct link to just that song.
:confused:

The song was recorded live; me on my Lakewood M-18, my wife on vocals. A couple of rehearsals, and then I hit the record button. That's the take. Hope you enjoy!

Cheers,

Glenn

If you've posted to a VOM already, go here and register. You can use the music hosting feature to upload your song and then do an absentee submission for the VOM, referencing the aforementioned upload.

• Members

It is the top song, 'Goodbye' written by Paul McCartney, originally performed by Mary Hopkin. The problem is, all of the songs stream together. I don't know how to direct link to just that song.
:confused:

Cheers,

Glenn

I'm sure we can figure something out. Is there any chance that you have an mp3 or something of your submission? Or does it only exist on that site?

• Members

I've not yet participated in these - didn't know about them for a long time and then just haven't managed to get my act together in time for the last couple.

What do I need to do to submit?

First you need to record something.

Then you need to download that recording to a file hosting site (I use Soundclick, but there are others).

On Sunday, I'll start a VOM thread here in HCAG with the basic guidelines as the first post. You will post your link to your song from the file hosting site inside that thread. To get an idea of what this looks like, here's the last VOM.

Ask more questions if needed or PM me. :)

• Members

I'm sure we can figure something out. Is there any chance that you have an mp3 or something of your submission? Or does it only exist on that site?

Hi,

Yep, I have an MP3. It is 4.7 megs (encoded @, I think, 256 kbs.)

Cheers,

Glenn

• Members

We have a couple of new goodies to add to the VOM bag of tricks for our 2nd anniversary month here. So starting out our third year we have ...

MelodyStream

MelodyStream, is a music player that I have been building on over the last 30 days or so. We've been testing this on a number of web sites as a means to allow embedded mp3 music on any web page. It's still in development, but stable enough to be used by most web sites, blogs, and some forums.

The last VOM will be available from the archive site and will allow the constant play of the entire VOM event start to finish. It also has a "pop-out" feature that allows the player to be popped off the page into a little window that you can listen to and take with you as you surf the Internet. That way you do not have to sit on the VOM archive site if you don't wish to.

* Not just for the VOM, but for any music collection by artists and performers so if we have any web site, blog or Forum operators out there that wish to get involved with this project, drop me a PM.

Site Language Translation

I have been impressed by the number of people who visit the VOM that speak languages other than English. In the logs, I often find these coming from translators such as Bablefish, Vectra, Google Translate, or private translator software.

So, I figured what the heck, music has no borders really, does it? I added an automated site translator for our foreign visitors. Since so many seem to love the VOM, we might as well make them at home in their own language.

Automated translation is more art than science. No program based translator can translate in perfect lingual common sense. Instead, what you wind up with is enough of a translation where the user can get a sense of what is happening in the commentary and text sections of the web site. Heck, for all we know, it may just wish them "The happy life of a goat". :thu:

So, that is what we have new for the beginning of the third year for our VOM.

- A embedded player with "pop out and go surf" abilities.

- Automated language translators to some 40 languages.

Happy Anniversary, VOM. It is only going to keep getting better and better.

• Members

FWIW, I've had something recorded for about week now but am hesitant to post it. It's a retake of a song I did for a prior VOM that disappeared with putfile (and I lost the original) that holds special meaning but this time around I recorded just after a pretty bad argument with my wife - nothing serious, just money. There's some bad mojo going on in my head as I'm singing and I nearly spat some of the lyrics out in contempt.

• Members
MelodyStream

MelodyStream, is a music player that I have been building on over the last 30 days or so. We've been testing this on a number of web sites as a means to allow embedded mp3 music on any web page. It's still in development, but stable enough to be used by most web sites, blogs, and some forums.

Really cool Joe! :thu: I've noticed that you've even been able to pull the YouTube submissions into the player... which is awesome. Does that task add an extra manual burden on you? i.e. Would it make your life easier if YouTube submissions also came with an MP3 link (assuming people have mp3 versions of their video)?

I know it wouldn't be overly difficult for me to include an mp3 link along with my embedded YouTube video. If that makes your tireless efforts of maintaining/archiving these VOMs a bit easier I'll gladly start including mp3 links.

Archived