Why do most acoustics not have cutaways?

Joeballz

• Members

Im new with acoustics and the guitar in general. Can someone explain to me why most acoustic do not have cutaways. Im aware that there are a decent amount that do have cutaways but it seems like most of them dont. What is the reasoning for this? I went to guitar center and played a bunch of different acoustics, i dont know if im crazy but on acoustics without cutaways it seems impossible to play the higher frets. Im new here so try not to give me to much crap lol. Thanks for reading!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You can make an argument that cutaways have a negative impact on the unplugged sound of a guitar. A cutaway takes away a piece of the guitar (and thus a "piece" of air inside the guitar) that could potentially be vibrating and producing tone. That's the theory, anyway. You'd have to have a really good ear to notice the difference between a guitar with a cutaway and the same guitar without one.

I suppose you could also argue that cutaways are designed to cater to electric players who like having access to the upper frets, which is why they show up so often on acoustic-electrics. If an electric player buys an acoustic, it's usually going to be something they can plug in.

So really, the short answer to your question is, "I don't know :idk:."

:facepalm:

• Members

How much upper fret access do you think you need? If you're spending too much time above the 12th fret, get a whammy and a Marshall stack. :rawk::lol:

I do plenty of lead work when called for sideman stuff (and even in my solo sets), and I never use a cutaway acoustic for it -- well, unless I have to take my Gitane D500 (but it was initially designed as a cutaway and it's a special beast). It's the only acoustic I have with a cutaway -- and it initially came without any electronics. Aside from that guitar and its ilk, I don't think I'd ever seriously consider purchasing a cutaway. Maybe, maybe, an archtop -- but I doubt it. It probably just comes down to aesthetics: I generally don't like the way the cutaway looks.

Come to think of it, even in my electric darkside days, I only went to the strangle the soprano zone at very specific instances in solos.

• Members

In my songbook, I need access to higher registers than the 8th fret exactly twice. One is the first chord sequence in "Dead or Alive", the other is the last chord in "Give a little Bit".

Go figure....

• Members

I always figured it was because all that electronics stuffed inside already screwed-up the sound, so might as well lop off a shoulder. As if anyone would ever notice or care.

I could be wrong... or lying... or

• Members

There is a saying amongst a lot of bluegrass musicians, "No money past the 5th fret." The majority of people on acoustic don't go that far up the neck. The higher the pitch of the strings the more of a chance of the other instruments booming over you in an acoustic environment.

• Members

Bigger sound box volume and larger sound board area make a better sounding guitar. Naturally, a cut-away reduced both of these. With an electric, they matter much less.

Personally, I have no interest in a cut-away. If I wan to go way up the neck, a semi-hollow electric is the way to go.

• Members

I believe (but I'm no expert so I could be wrong) that the cutaway first appeared in 1939 on the Gibson L-5 and/or Super 400 archtop acoustic guitars (these models had been introduced earlier but were then full-bodied). At that time in history the guitar was becoming very popular as a rhythym instrument (and to a lesser extent, lead instrument) in jazz Big Bands and the cutaway provided better access for the more extensive chord and note range used in jazz.

PS. And despite what some people are saying I don't think a cutaway makes an appreciable difference to the volume or tone of a guitar.

• Members

I reckon a cutaway spoils both the look and the acoustic sound possibly ?

As for sound--part of the guitar is cut-out for to reach the high frets more so at ease on a cut-away

But in doing so it has cut-out i reckon the whole sound as what would be created from a whole acoustic guitar ?

I much prefer both the ( traditional look ) and sound from the acoustic guitar as it's known.. as at end of the day why have a cut-away

basically to make it easier to reach higher frets is about it

But let's be honest how many people play an acoustic up the higher frets ?

And also we can buy amps for our acoustic's anyhow

It's just an extra market the cut-away for elec-guitar players whom like the better

acoustic look off the cut-away i reckon ?

• Members

The traditional look of the acoustic guitar has been around a long time; the cutaway is a newer development. I don't recall seeing them in the 60's or even mid 70's. The cutaway acoustic first came to my attention in the 80's. I think the influx of "acoustic rock" music led to a desire to make the fret board more available to those wanting to play lead guitar. Since I am a folksinger I seldom go that high on the neck.

I personally don't like a cutaway on my guitars, but that is personal preference.

• Members

I believe (but I'm no expert so I could be wrong) that the cutaway first appeared in 1939 on the Gibson L-5 and/or Super 400 archtop acoustic guitars (these models had been introduced earlier but were then full-bodied). At that time in history the guitar was becoming very popular as a rhythym instrument (and to a lesser extent, lead instrument) in jazz Big Bands and the cutaway provided better access for the more extensive chord and note range used in jazz.

PS. And despite what some people are saying I don't think a cutaway makes an appreciable difference to the volume or tone of a guitar.

This :thu:

The upper bouts are rigidly braced and the bulk of tonal response develops in the lower bouts. Adjust the bracing slightly and a reduction in upper bout real estate makes little difference.

Fretboard access and the need for a cutaway depends on the range of the music you're playing and if Martin hadn't decided to go with the 14th fret neck joint we'd all still be playing 12 fretters anyway.

• Members

Ever notice how many guys come in here asking advice on which acoustic guitar is the most like their electric? (Not the best way to find a good acoustic in my estimation, although typically they get a bunch of responses telling them exactly what they want to hear.)

Acoustic cutaways are for those guys.

I play up the neck, occasionally past 12 frets, but I don't like acoustic cutaways.

• Members

Non-cutaways came first. Cutaways came later to allow upper fret access.

Bob Taylor says the cutaway has no affect on the sound, and I believe his is correct, and not a liar.

I wish there were more non-cutaway acoustic electrics. I don't play past the 5th fret unless I'm using a capo.

• Members

The traditional look of the acoustic guitar has been around a long time; the cutaway is a newer development. I don't recall seeing them in the 60's or even mid 70's. The cutaway acoustic first came to my attention in the 80's. I think the influx of "acoustic rock" music led to a desire to make the fret board more available to those wanting to play lead guitar. Since I am a folksinger I seldom go that high on the neck.

I personally don't like a cutaway on my guitars, but that is personal preference.

Well said i agree totally :thu:

• Members

Because most traditional acoustic players neither need, nor want, the cut. Whatever their opinion about it, whether it's aesthetics, or an opinion about sound, or snobbery :D not wanting to seem like a wannabe electric player temporarily playing acoustic, it's because the traditional buyers mostly don't buy them.

• Members

My kind of thread...see sig. Cutaways are stupid. End of story. They screw up the symmetry of an acoustic. They dampen the sound (possibly) They are designed to fufill a need that does not exist. They are pointy and dangerous. They provide a perfect small space inside of an instrument where dangerous spiders can build nests, laying egg sac after egg sac filled with millions of spiderlings which will eventually boil out of the soundhole like a burst pustule, searching for victims to bite.

And it has been proven that Lions are attracted to Venitian cutaways.

• Members

the cutaways are only there to provide access to the upper frets. Most pure acoustic players don't venture up that high on the neck because among other things, you lose volume and sustain as you get higher on the neck.

Now if you have onboard electronics and you plug into an amp, those issues go away (somewhat) and you can play more or less like you would on an electric. I have both and do both.

BTW> most of the sound from an acoustic comes from the top vibrating. If you think of it like a drum head, the vibrations are greatest toward the center and zero at the edge. So the cutaways actually DON'T have that much impact on the volume and tone of acoustics that have them. If you A/B similar models with and without a cutaway, there is a difference, but it isn't all that noticeable.

• Members

I guess it just depends on the style of playing that you are doing. Me I like my cutaway and wouldn't get another acoustic without one. I do a fair amount of work at or above the 12th fret and there is no way that I could do that on a standard acoustic.

Just my dos centavos on a Friday morning

Tony

• Members

once you get accustomed to a particular traditional acoustic, playing notes as far as up as the 16th fret can become quite easy with a little adjustment to technique...... you will likely not go there that often anyways

I find my non-cutaways do have a fuller sound, and I also like to play what I guess most people would call "progressive" where I like to tap the soundboard and incorporate percussive sounds into my playing....... you get a whole lot more lively sounding tapping area on a non-cutaway.... whereas on a cutaway, the upper bout and around the cutaway is kind of dead by comparison

• Members

First, and most importantly, because I don't like them.

Second, The build compromises to make a structurally sound asymetrical guitar also compormise sound.

Third, the notes in that range are beyond efficiant production given the design parameters of an acoustic guitar.

Fourth, I just don't like them.

On the good side, in a standard case the cutaway leaves an area where I can stash a bag of peanuts or a cheeseburger. Or an extra T-Shirt and a clean pair of socks if I'm feelin' lucky. If you want to wheedle-dee in the stratosphere, go buy a mandolin. It's not just Union Rules. It's the Law.

Archived