Why do most acoustics not have cutaways?

Joeballz

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, To answer the question as asked, I'll just say the reason is because "most" acoustic players don't see the need for them.

I'm limiting observations to the OP's question, which deals with acoustic guitars. I take that as acoustic guitars played acoustically. Not guitars played with/through electronics. As Pitar says. "I never go into the top ranges unplugged." That makes a lot of points moot.

There seem to be three discussions here. Design as it relates to A) Structure, B) Function, and C) Aesthetics.

Aesthetics have no relevance beyond individual preference. Symmetry is a moot point as well as it relates to aesthetics. Most modern guitars have asymmetrical bracing.

Structurally there are considerations that have to be made in/re stress bearing peculiarities between symmetrical vs. cutaway guitars. Reducing soundboard area and chamber volume, adding the mass at the heel block & altering bracing are antithetical to the effciancy of how a guitar functions mechanically. Sure, it can be done. But it's a compromise.

As for function or intended function, I can't see it being more complicated than producing a pleasant tone at a volume sufficiant to the players need. Outside of resonators, there really hasn't been a substantive successful improvement since Martin slapped the X-Bracing in a Dread. It's not for want of trying. There may be variants, but there are parameters outside of which an acoustic guitar is no longer an acoustic guitar. Within these limitations, after hundreds of years of refinement, the design at it's best is the best. Near perfect.

And Pitar, if it seemed I was "taking a shot" predicated on baseless "notions", if a jest missed it's mark, My apologies. I think we had differing perspectives on a poorly defined issue. I highly value spirited discussion among intelligent people with a wide range of experience and opinion. Sorry. No offense intended.

Archived