How important are aesthetics?

Gary Blanchard

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I WANT to be able to ignore aesthetics and go for tone only, but I can't seem to get past certain aesthetic appointments. I don't mind cutaways as far as looks are concerned, but I have no practical use for one and can't see paying the extra $ for a feature I don't need.

Aesthetic {censored} that drives me crazy:

-Barn door electronics
-Pointy or otherwise bat{censored} headstocks
-Excessive abalone
-Most goofy pickguards (I like most Gibson guards, though)
-Tea burst
-Cherry burst (okay on an electric)
-Black guitars (okay on an electric)
-Painted acoustics in general
-Trans-finished flame or quilted maple tops (spandex, anyone?)
-Mismatched bridges/fretboards (Stop it, Guild!)
-Excessive headstock text
-Bat{censored} bridge design
-Tuning keys that look like formica

• Members
Don't mind 12-string headstocks and am fairly easy with cutaways.

But what I can't stand is Rhinestone Cowboy bling a la Gibson, sunbursts - especially three-tone-sunburst like Gibson's and sloped shoulders.

Then you should HATE my guitar...:)

!BvOU2h!!Wk~$(KGrHqUOKi0EvPW0knWWBMDpkpM

• Members
I WANT to be able to ignore aesthetics and go for tone only, but I can't seem to get past certain aesthetic appointments. I don't mind cutaways as far as looks are concerned, but I have no practical use for one and can't see paying the extra $ for a feature I don't need.

Aesthetic {censored} that drives me crazy:

-Barn door electronics

-Pointy or otherwise bat{censored} headstocks

-Excessive abalone

-Most goofy pickguards (I like most Gibson guards, though)

-Tea burst

-Cherry burst (okay on an electric)

-Black guitars (okay on an electric)

-Painted acoustics in general

-Trans-finished flame or quilted maple tops (spandex, anyone?)

-Mismatched bridges/fretboards (Stop it, Guild!)

-Excessive headstock text

-Bat{censored} bridge design

-Tuning keys that look like formica

But how do you feel about tattoos on hookers?

• Members

As far as cutaways are concerned, I actually kind of like them :). I don't require the access to the upper frets, but . . . . I don't know. I just think they look cool. Sleek, maybe. That might have something to do with the fact that my first guitar had a CW :idk:.

But I certainly wouldn't rule out a guitar just because it didn't (or did) have a cutaway.

As for electronics . . . I've seen some preamps that are far more tastefully done than others. The QI in my Seagull is very non-obtrusive, for example. Just three knobs and a very mellow (and small) bronze backplate. The preamp on my Ovation is a little more flashy, but the rest of the guitar is flashy too. I don't particularly care for square, boxy preamps that don't have the slightest touch of style, but again, that's not something that would prevent me from buying a guitar.

Just my two cents . . .

• Members

I like the cutaway on my Gitane D500, but it was originally designed that way, otherwise I don't GAS over them. I don't like the barndoor stuff. I prefer slotheads, but a paddlehead with open-backed tuners is super groovy.

Zero fret rawks my world.

• Members

I'm not a big fan of bling.

There's something about the simple elegance of a well-made guitar sans inlays, cutouts and MOP geegaws. To me, anyways.

OTOH - last Friday I got a chance to play a Guild D-50. Bling to spare. I could lay aside my prejudice for that one.

• Members
Then you should HATE my guitar...
:)

!BvOU2h!!Wk~$(KGrHqUOKi0EvPW0knWWBMDpkpM

Two-tone sunburst is ok'ish sometimes and the solid bridge gives it a less rhinstone-y look than the carved-out design. The Pickguard is not engraved or painted with birds, flowers or wtf and even thou it's garish in shape, it's less visible than on many other Gibsons.

Indeed, this is - and I may have said that before - a very nice guitar that even I would consider buying - if I had the dough and the sounds would be good, that is. And I consider this a compliment from somebody, who adores the plain looks of Martins and finds the Abalone on his D40 overly excessive.

But compare that to your run-of-the-mill three-tone-sunburst-on-red Hummingbird or Dove with a garish, engraved pickguard ... or jur J200 with the carved-out bridge etc. and ... argh!

• Members

I was cogitating in the shower this morning and realized that I believe that some things are incongruant with certain types of music. I would not expect to see a guitarist in a death metal band playing one of these:
14-7030Fantasy.jpg

In that same vein, in my mind, I do not expect to see someone playing traditional folk music with one of these:
271681.jpg

It is a matter of my perceptions, but I will live with it.

I am trying to figure out what I can sell to buy that Guild. :thu:

• Members
In that same vein,
in my mind
, I do not expect to see someone playing traditional folk music with one of these:

271681.jpg

It is a matter of my perceptions, but I will live with it.

I am trying to figure out what I can sell to buy that Guild.
:thu:

Well, the lead guitarist in my humble Irish Trad session here in Co.Cork, Ireland plays exactly one of those. Well, almost exactly. His doesn't have the cutaway.
What's so bad with that all-hog Martin?

• Members
. . . . .
in my mind
, I do not expect to see someone playing traditional folk music with one of these:

271681.jpg

It is a matter of my perceptions, but I will live with it. . . . . .

Why not? In my experience many traditional folk guitarists play instruments similar to this.

• Members

Why not? In my experience many traditional folk guitarists play instruments similar to this.

As I said, it is my perception. I am quite willing to admit my perception may not be shared by others and do not feel that it should be. On the other hand, I see no reason to change it as long as I am happy.

• Members

IMHO, it boils down to what we've been saying all along - guitars are subjective. What I like, you may not, and the other way around. A difference of opinion makes a good horse race. I like my guitar because of the tone and playability. When I bought my guitar, I didn't really go for the looks, but the sound sold me. The looks are slowly growing on me.

• Members

As I said, it is my perception. I am quite willing to admit my perception may not be shared by others and do not feel that it should be. On the other hand, I see no reason to change it as long as I am happy.

Did anyone mention you have excellent taste in twelve string guitars?

• Members

Fair enough :thu:

• Members

I have a real hangup about two things on acoustic guitars - cutaways and the electronics black box. There is no rational reason for this, it is just my hangups. If I find a guitar that has the sound I want but is an A/E with cutaway, should I try to overcome my prejudice, or is it likely I'd regret it everytime I played it? What are your experiences in this area?

I'm not drawn to them much at all. But I do have one that's served me well in many ways, and it's got the proverbial two strikes against it -- in addition to a cutaway and a couple knobs up top -- it's a shallow back Ovation Celebrity. :D

I got it at a time I was transitioning out of heavy EG use and had been quite happily playing an Applause dreadnaught (Ovation's cheapo line). GC had a sale on the Celeb shallows for $300 (I think it was) in the late 80s when I was just starting to do a string of acoustic gigs and was getting tired of the groans from sound guys when I didn't have a feed out of my guitar.

The sound from the thing eletric was far from great -- it got a better with the addition of a Passac preamp made for use with transducers (that cost like 60% of what the guitar did) but it was never great. Nor was it all that wonderful out in front of the guitar, acoustic.

But it does record with a mic pretty well, delivering a nice even resonance across the range. It's not nearly as woody as one might like for a lot of stuff, but it can work nicely for fingerpicking stuff, tunings, and it's my primary bottleneck guitar.

• Members

Prefer my pick-up to be passive (that why I have a Baggs PADI :thu: )...don't want no ugly holes cut into the wood! :eek:

Cutaways are another story...never had a flat-tip w/ one but intend to, one of these days, but it'll have to be a Venetian (rounded style) cutaway...don't care for the Florentine (sharp pointed style) at all.

Archived