WOT - wav to MP3 converter?

spruce goose

• Members

Welcome, spruce goose.

You last visited: 02-24-2009 at 07:28 AM

It's been a while, so I might need to reacquaint myself with the local jargon. Last I was here, people were talking with :poke:s and :cop:s, but I'm sure this has largely become :facepalm:.

Anyways, I was wondering if you guys know of any wav to MP3 converters.. I used to use switch, but they appear to have linked that privilege with a cash money handout. This I would like to avoid.

thx.

sg.

• Members

I've been cDex for about 10 years with no issues. It's free.

Wav to mp3 is fine, but if you want to convert directly from CD to mp3, be sure to un-check the 'encode on the fly' or 'convert on the fly' option which IS checked by default and results in a slightly swooshy sound.

Zero issues or quality issues when converting from wav to mp3.

I'm using version 1.51 and it's completely free, no suggested fees or requests for donations and no advertising. If the current one gives you any trouble, PM me and I'll email you the program.

• Members

in itunes you can change the import settings so that it will make mp3s instead of AAC files. Edit>Preferences>General tab, see the import settings button? Then when you add a file to the library it brings it in as mp3.

I also use Audacity, and had to find the .dll for it yesterday - it is lame_enc.dll - which you put in the Audacity program file and then locate it for the program the first time you export to mp3...

• Members

I use Audacity (which is a free download). The first time you use it it will prompt you for add on (a dll, if I recall, it will tell you which one). Goggle the dll and you will find a site for it, down load once and Audacity is happy for ever (its been so long ago I don't remember the details).

:thu: This is the first proper MP3 conversion I've done in several months. Of course, I haven't been recording during this time, but I want to get back at it. I had to install Audacity and the LAME MP3 encoder.

Thanks ya'll, but Keller has clearly won this round. I will try out the Edit>Preferences>General thingy to be fair, though.

• Members

I use Audacity (which is a free download). The first time you use it it will prompt you for add on (a dll, if I recall, it will tell you which one). Goggle the dll and you will find a site for it, down load once and Audacity is happy for ever (its been so long ago I don't remember the details).

requires the (free download) LAME encoder 3.98.2 to convert to mp3.

• Members

If you stick around for long enough, some spammer will start a thread advertising a program (which will undoubtedly be free, or at least free to try) that will convert any file format that's ever been invented, and even some file formats that haven't. And it'll be faster, better, stronger, and more versatile than any other program on the market, bar none. There will be lots of screenshots and it'll be the coolest-looking program you've ever seen.

And you might even get a cheap pair of shoes out of the deal ;).

• Members

Man, I must be WAY out of the loop - Winamp used to have a free version that would do this - I'm probably the only one on the Inner Worlds still using it.

I have the current version and it won't. However, Real Player comes with a handy converter that will. I hadn't bothered to check out this feature until just now. Thanks.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I must be stupid. I paid for Soundforge 9.0.

Of course, it gives me a lot of other editing tools.

And it came with VEGAS video editing software.

At Office Depot for $70USD ? I could not pass that up.

That's the curse of being a pleasant and well-meaning guy...the Chinese teach us that no good deed goes unpunished! ;)

Say, Marcellis...it occurs to me that neither of us has added any Guild's to our harems in a while...don't know about you, but I'm gettin' a jones for another...maybe a 70s-era F-48 this time! :love:

Ac513.jpg

Archived