Belated NGD Darkside: 2010 Bullet Strat

Stackabones

• Members

About three weeks late, but here it is.

My Dad, a Strat man, has been wanting me to get a Strat for about two decades or so. He's always going on: Strat this, Strat that, youtube Strat here, youtube Strat there. :lol: I wasn't sure about it -- for I'd been playing a telecopy (Peavey Reactor) and considered myself a Tele man.

I finally decided to get one -- just to make the old man happy, ya see? ;) While in Guitar Center, I checked out about three or four Bullet Strats -- the absolute cheapest Strat you can get that is still a licensed Strat, if you know what I mean. Quality was all over the place, but this one was stellar in every aspect. Nobody in GC would even look at me, and I tried to make eye contact. I was the only 40something white suburbanite in the entire store playing a $119 git quite loudly through some kind of amp (slow afternoon and there were no teenaged mutant ninja shredders present) -- so I can't imagine why nobody wanted to help me. Finally, some guy taking out the trash walked by and I held up the guitar -- "Will you sell me this?"

Attached cellphone pic is from my Sat Potbelly gig. It's all I use ... Bullet Strat and Pignose.

This clip is in a style that I've been calling Roadhouse Jazz. Imagine George Gershwin showing some tunes to Lightnin' Hopkins in a roadhouse bar. I've been reworking most of the standards in my set in this style. The only missing ingredient so far has been finding the right git & sound. Setup is just like in the pic: Bullet Strat & Pignose.

I Got Rhythm

It turns out that I'm no longer a Tele man. The old man was on to something.

• Members

Nice score! I, on the other hand, just got rid of my Strat. I kept the Tele though! I am down to just 2 electrics - the Tele and the 335. I used to go back and forth between the tele and the strat. The Tele just always felt better. Might be the maple fretboard - the strat was rosewood.

In any event, the one you picked up looks great, and it sounds great when you play it.

• Members

Love it. Man, I love me a white Strat. I'm experiencing a wave of dark side GAS myself - for a Tele... I am crazy about Strats but have never experienced Tele ownership and I'm kind of struggling with the "new thing" urge. STRATS-CONGRATS!

Also, love teh Pignose.

goat-vs-electric-fence.jpg

• Members

Congratulations. Strats are good. I've got two: a Yamaha Pacifica (HSS) - excellent guitar - and a cheapy no-name SSS that I keep in work. Very versatile guitars.

HST, I must admit that I'm really enjoying the Tele copy I bought a couple of months ago.

• Members

I have a white, MIK Bullet Strat from the 90's.First solidbody I ever owned. Also have a lil Pignose from '74 or so. It doesn't work anymore, but I still have it. A few weeks ago, walking toward the Acoustic room at GC, I spotted a Squier Duo Sonic plugged into a tiny Marshall amp. Played it for awhile and liked it a lot. Oh, HNGD!!!!

• Members

Love it. Man, I love me a white Strat. I'm experiencing a wave of dark side GAS myself - for a Tele... I am crazy about Strats but have never experienced Tele ownership and I'm kind of struggling with the "new thing" urge. STRATS-CONGRATS!

Having owned both, including an American Standard Strat and various clones, I strongly recommend going for the Tele.

I used to own a 1971 pre-CBS beauty that I'm still having dreams about. (I've got a Squire Affinity copy now, but it's more a painful reminder than anything else.)

ETA: Forgot to congratulate Stackabones...congrats, Stack!

• Members

I'm experiencing a wave of dark side GAS myself - for a Tele... I am crazy about Strats but have never experienced Tele ownership and I'm kind of struggling with the "new thing" urge.

Go for it Knock, all the cool kids are getting electrics. You wanna be cool don't you?

You can be as cool as these guys:

• Members

Having owned both, including an American Standard Strat and various clones, I strongly recommend going for the Tele.

I used to own a 1971 pre-CBS beauty that I'm still having dreams about. (I've got a Squire Affinity copy now, but it's more a painful reminder than anything else.)

ETA: Forgot to congratulate Stackabones...congrats, Stack!

I've owned an American Standard Strat... Holy crap, what a friggin' awesome guitar. Had to sell it during one of those annoying waves of financial horror that guitar people seem to encounter so often... I doubt I'd ever find another one as perfect as that specimen.

But I can't go my whole life without owning a Tele... Think I need a new thread so I can stop hijacking up in here.

Archived