VOM 41 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, June 12, 2011

Stackabones

• Members

Another comment :

hypcollector: I'm kinda slow and sleep-deprived this morning so it took me a minute to understand why such an upbeat song had such sad lyrics. Now I'm laughing at both my own naivete and your song's cynical wit! :lol:

• Members

Title: If Blood Be The Price

Artist: Prizefighters All!

Recording information: Used a Martin 000-15M with light phosphor bronze Martin SP4100 strings; recorded into MacBook Pro's built-in microphone.

Link: http://soundcloud.com/prizefighters-all/if-blood-be-the-price/

Lyrics:

It's easy to hide behind words

You try to mask as meaningful

And it's easy to never face yourself

When you know you've never grown

But it's not easy to come clean

When you've become so filthy

And it's not a simple fact of

Singing what you're feeling

You were always spoon to mouth

You were always hand-in-hand

With the people who sheltered you from

From the things they told you were bad

Growing up in an extended family

Is something you never acknowledge

So you sing about living the hard life

Hoping no one will notice

You claim to be what you're about

But what does that really mean

Does it mean throwing away the person you used to be

You swear up and down that you never ever changed

But what does that really say about how you've been living

• Members

Just passing by and clicked on the top two songs on this page...both were outstanding performances.

I don't know how long you been playing "Angelina," kwakatak, but I didn't detect any rust at all in that rendition. Sparkling beauty was all I heard.

And Chordchunker...you played the funk out of that sucker! I could feel the heat rising off the Mississippi and coming straight through my speakers. Sounded like it was done live, too. (Was that from your recent festival gig?)

Bravo, guys!...Now I gotta go back and listen to some more.

• Members

VOM Close

Well, by my clock it's almost closing time ... but you know what? If it's still Second Sunday where you live, keep posting. Even it's a bit past Second Sunday and Monday Morning is blinking its bright eyes in your face ...

post 'em if you got 'em!

The mic is still on if you need it ...

GO MAVS!!!

VOM 41, Dirk 41

dirk-nowitzki-2009-headband-20091015_zaf

• Members
My current take on Tommy Emmanuel's "Angelina" played on my Martin D-16GT. This is a song I've been playing for a long time but I just wanted to shake off a little rust on it.

http://www.box.net/shared/bk5o7458z9

Beautiful! You've got terrific chops and a very sensitive touch. It's was pure joy to listen to. :thu:

I will listen to all the submissions in the course of the couple next days. This a great idea for a thread. i wish I had joined before.

• Members

Thanks to everyone who checked out my submission this month and, as always, the feedback is much appreciated :thu:

With only mobile Interwebs over the weekend, I've yet to get a chance to listen to any of the VOM. But, as luck would have it, a power outage at my Office has given me a long weekend. Let the listening begin!

Fuss:
When the vocals came in I thought I had the wrong link. Yes she does have quite the voice--beautiful harmonizing too on her part. She reminds me of Ann Wilson a bit. As a recording, the vocals seem a bit TOO perfect/slickly "processed"--but your guitar sounds fantastic. Love this song. Have always admired your playing. I esp. love the little bits you do there near the end. Great arrangement.

Thanks a bunch Michael, you're too kind :) Her production/processing quality definitely surpasses mine, but, perhaps mine has that more raw/rough edge that makes it seem a bit more real ;)

• Members

Beautiful! You've got terrific chops and a very sensitive touch. It's was pure joy to listen to.
:thu:

I will listen to all the submissions in the course of the couple next days. This a great idea for a thread. i wish I had joined before.

Thanks! :)

I admit that I cheated and played with headphone monitors on and added reverb to help cover up the worst of the flubs.

Your recent thread actually inspired me to make a list of the fingerstyle songs I know and either refamiliarize myself with the ones I know or finally finish learning the ones that I'd only partly learned or even pick up a few new ones. By nearest count I know about 25 fingerstyle songs.

• Members

Some great music everybody!!! Got to listen to a lot of it yesterday! I got a ton of work crowding me this morning so I hope I can get some comments up later this evening. Freeman, that is a beautiful guitar that just sounds great!!!
Bob

• Members

And Chordchunker...you played the funk out of that sucker! I could feel the heat rising off the Mississippi and coming straight through my speakers. Sounded like it was done live, too. (Was that from your recent festival gig?)

Bravo, guys!...Now I gotta go back and listen to some more.

I wish I had a recording of that gig, or even better yet some video.

• Members

Is it my imagination, or is the collective quality of these VOMs really beginning to escalate? Man, is there some great stuff in this one. That is always the case, but it seems to me that the level of kickass is really beginning to creep up there.

Some standout stuff for me:

FK, that Weissenborn looks and sounds just beautiful. I hope you're as pleased with that thing as I am impressed with it. And it looks like I lose the "who'll finish his current project first" contest by a country mile.

Jkater

Always impressive. Loved it. And gorgeous guitar!

Riff

That was a really beautiful arrangement. I just heard that song for the first time a week or so ago when my cousin posted it on Facebook... That's what happens when you live under a rock. Great song, and I wish I could figure out how to get your recording into my frickin' iTunes.

Fastblueheeler

Funny... I'm scrolling down and thinking to myself, maybe I'll try "Oh My Sweet Carolina" for the next VOM and BANG! There's your recording. Great minds... I liked your take on the song quite a lot.

Edit: Oh, and KWAK!

Dude! It amazes me how much your playing has improved over the years I've been hanging around here. You are really becoming a badass with a guitar. I dug this one for serious.

• Members

Ingrid Michaelson's "The Chain"

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=901761&songID=10583533

Guitar is tuned down to Eb, nice little solo in the middle on a melodica, hypnotic canon section at the end. Sung by the violinist and flautist I play with.

THat was NICE! :thu:

Her voice and your playing remind me of Sarah McLachlan's early stuff. I hope you don't mind if I put this one on my ipod? :love:

• Members

This is totally off the wall. I finished the Weissenborn this morning, strung it up, brought it in the house, turned on the recorder and started playing it. This is literally its first song - obviously I've got a bit to learn about it LOL

Steel Guitar Rag

IMG_0557.jpg

Nice job on the git and the song, Freeman. How the heck do you play one of those things anwyay? On your lap?

• Members

If you didn't hear it last week, here is my most recent attempt at Whiskey Before Breakfast (Norman Blake version):

I didn't hear it before but I'm sorry I'm didn't. Excellent job!

BTW, which guitar of yours is this? I'm wondering if it's the Larrivee? I've heard good things about those SD-50s.

Archived