VOM 41 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, June 12, 2011

Stackabones

• Members

Absentee Postings

hypcollector Comments:

you just can't trust a farmer's wife...but justice is true and absolute. damn neighbors.....and damn tornados....prayers lifted to the alabamaians and missourians>>>

tornado on my heels

saw it coming from the field

started running for my life

no time to check on my wife

ducked into a ditch

that tornado's such a bitch

jumped over my head

hit my neighbors house instead

guess i should kneel and pray

didn't have to die today

destruction all around

two people couldn't be found

what could i really do

that twister was on the move

my neighbor and my wife

didn't make it out alive

g

c

d7

cd7g

Absentee Post from:
hypcollector

Title:
Tornado Affair

Credits:
p gorman

rhancox Comments:

It's been a few months since my last submission to the VOM. Having to share our house, temporarily, and such, pretty much put the kybosh on any recording the last 3-4 months. But things are back to normal and I now have my own room for recording instead of sharing the office.

Anyway, this is my first project using Reaper. After using an ancient version of CuBase LE, I am blown away by what I can do with Reaper. And for $40, it's hard to consider any other software.

This recording is made up of several tracks. There's the opening 12-string into, with a Grungelizer effect, the lead intro, 2 12-string rhythm tracks (one with pickups and one with mics), a lead track and a vocal track recorded on one side of the stereo field, then duplicated and flipped to the other side with the phase inverted. I recorded a bass track using MIDI and the computer keyboard. Then I figured out how to connect a Rock Band drum kit and used that to record a MIDI drum track. And at the end is a wind sound effect, similar to the ending of the original recording.

It's definitely an imitation cover and not my own arrangement, but it was a lot of fun putting together and learning what I can do with Reaper. I hope you like it.

Absentee Post from:
rhancox

Title:
Wish You Were Here

Credits:
Pink Floyd

mrmoe Comments:

...recorded in 1 take in 1978....from my lounge lizard period....

Absentee Post from:
mrmoe

Title:
the moron

Credits:
michael orlen

FussenKuh Comments:

Time to head back to the 90s grunge scene with some Alice In Chains. A couple months ago, a YouTuber that I've worked with in the past asked me if I could contribute some guitar work for this tune. He and a friend were going to attempt to lay some harmonized vocals over it. Long story short, due to some timing conflicts, that endeavor is still ongoing, but, in the mean time, this track was created consisting of a couple of my guitar parts and vocal work from one of the two collaborators (YouTuber laqartdesign). In my opinion, her vocals put anything that I've ever attempted to sing to shame... which, I suppose, isn't all that hard to do ;-)

I've yet to have the opportunity to post the song on my YouTube channel. As a result, I've provided a link to her channel.

I hope you enjoy it!

Absentee Post from:
FussenKuh

Title:
Down In A Hole

Credits:
Alice in Chains

• Members

Jkater, glad to see you made it! Cool submission. Some folks were confirmed in my parish and I thought about your daughter's confirmation today. :)

Brad, solid tune and lovely recording.

pg, is that you or your wife whistling? Brilliant lyric.

• Members

Just recorded this a couple nights ago in the living room of the apartment here in Rome, using my Zoom H2 and the cheapy EKO dread that I'm using here in Rome. The EKO still had old dead strings on it, but to tell you the truth it doesn't sound a lot better re-strung! But hey I ain't complaining. I'm being paid to live in Rome, and I have a guitar.

The song is (mostly) referencing my experiences from last fall, when I was traveling with 36 students and two other faculty members all over a big chunk of the country that ranged from NW Wyoming to an island off the coast of Mississippi. I wrote this back in Feb.--seems I was prescient about cities on rivers washing away--the trip included stays in places like St. Louis, Memphis, and Vicksburg, all of which suffered severe flooding recently (although I am of course sort of quoting R.E.M.* there)

But we were never in Tucumcarie or Londonderry. I just liked the sounds of those places.

http://www.box.net/shared/dsv9pq89opuoj7rekvdh

Tiger Eyes

• Members

This week, I'm listening through crap headphones.

JKater: That's a beautiful-sounding guitar & you played & recorded it really well.

HypoCollector: Your recording sounded muddy through my crap headphones. But my recording sounded like that too.

Rhancox: Your acoustic sounds wonderful. I really like it. It's probably mixed too loud. But it sounds really nice. The twelve-strings though don't sound that good to me. The playing is fine. But the acoustic on top of them sounds so pure & the twelve-strings sound so grungy. Maybe that's the effect you wanted.

Mr. Moe: I really like your 70's recordings. I like that guitar sound a lot.

Can't get sound that on digital source recordings.

Fussenkuh: I couldn't listen because my internet was really slow for some reason on your youtube channel.

Stack: Loved it. Can't say anything bad about it.

Blutunes: You have a really good voice & play the guitar well. It's a good recording too. Your singing voice is especially plaintive on that song.

Michael, I'm always a fan. The recording is a little hot. I think the EKO sounds good. It's a lovely song. Personally, I don't like the line "Sunday morning coming down". It immediately reminds me of the Kristofferson song.

• Members

Hi Guys - Can't wait to listen to these songs. Here is my submission. It's called "Clothes and a Radio." It's a song about me meeting and marrying my wife when I had very little to offer her in terms of money or possessions. Ah young yove.... 17 years and still going strong.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1038212&songID=10715243

• Members

Great Stuff here guys - Is anyone else fighting with Soundclick this AM? Everything loaded eventually just took a few trys. Well here is what I have listened to so far. A lot of great surprises

Jkater - Great Tune. Is that a Jimmy Reed tune? Can't believe that that Heritage sounds so good unplugged. Really nice playing great blues runs, great syncopation.

rhancox - Great cover. I always forget how cool a tune that is. You really pulled it off. I liked the tone of the lead acoustic.

Hypocollector - Ouch. I hear you on the Tornado's. Kind of a peppy little ditty isn't it?

Fussenkuh - Man that lady can sing... Don't know the song, but love the harmonies

Stackabones - Man cool song, Got a real Tom Waits feel. Has all the sexual innuendo of the old blues tunes.... I need some butter on my roll... I need some sugar in my bowl.... I really like it when you do blues Chris

Blutunes - Good tune.... Good tone on the guitar. There are enough of those tough times to go around aren't there?

Etienne Rambert - Man... I don't even know where to start....caught me completely off guard. Really cool tune, I love your voice..

Michael Martin - Nice tune... I like the sound of those old strings

Riffmeister - Love the song. The melodica is really cool in there

• Members

Tracked this one for last month's festivities but couldn't post.

I wrote this back around 1990 after an exciting sailing adventure up into one of the tributaries of the Chesapeake Bay.....my one and only sailing adventure.

At the end of that day we got into the dingy and motored into a bar where none other than Billy Ray Cyrus was playing his then recent hit....'Achy Breaky Heart'. You don't forget something like that.

Can't wait to give a listen to everything.

The Bounding Bay

• Members

Michael
, I'm always a fan. The recording is a little hot. I think the EKO sounds good. It's a lovely song. Personally, I don't like the line "
Sunday morning coming down
". It immediately reminds me of the Kristofferson song.

Thanks, Etienne. Yes, I find it hard to get the recording level right on the H2. Every room is different. Apparently I was a bit too close. As for the Kristofferson line, it was supposed to be "Monday" on my song (because the 2 excursions departed on Monday mornings), not "Sunday" like on his song by that name. IOW a reference to him, but not a direct copy of his line/title. But funny things can happen when you push the rec button after a large glass of vino bianco. :)

• Members

Still trying to learn to record. I just plug the M-Audio Mic into the computer using Audacity, and play. Don't know how to multi-track. And, if I fingerpick, I can't hear the guitar no matter how I place the mic. So, I grab the ol' 351 heavy and commence to strummin'. This is One More Night, by Bob Dylan, on my Yamaha APX700-12, unplugged.[ATTACH]335772[/ATTACH]

• Members

Good morning all,

I've been away for awhile as my life got a little crazy, but things have settled down. Sure feels good to be creating music once again .

And while the song contains alot of my heart and soul, it is not a reflection of my current life. My wife and I are in love now, as much as ever. :)

The guitar you hear is my Gibson L4-A, capo'd at the 6th fret.

Thanks to all who listen and I'm looking forward to hearing all your entry's!

I got the idea for this song from old maps. In the corners where the territory was uncharted they would write "Here there be monsters". And it got me thinking...

Here There Be Monsters

• Members

A friend of mine had me lay down this track so they could put it on their Ipod. One quick take with a few quick mistakes.

Mr. Mud and Mr. Gold - Townes Van Zandt

The wicked king of clubs awoke

It was to his queen turned

His lips were laughing as they spoke

His eyes like bullets burned

The sun's upon a gambling day

His queen smiled low and blissfully

Let's make some wretched fool to play

Plain it was she did agree

He send his deuce down into diamond

His four to hart, and his trey to spade

Three kings with their legions come

Preparations soon where made

They voted club the days commander

Gave him an army face and number

All but the outlaw jack of diamonds

And the aces in the sky

He give his sevens first instructions

Spirit me a game of stud

Stakes unscarred by limitation

'tween a man named gold and man named mud

Club filled gold with greedy vapors

'til his long, green eyes did glow

Mud was left with the sighs and trembles

Watching his hard earned money go

Flushes fell on gold like water

Tens they paired and paired again

But the aces only flew through heaven

And the diamond jack called no man friend

The diamond queen saw muds ordeal

Began to think of her long lost son

Fell to her knees with a mother's mercy

Prayed to the angels every one

The diamond queen, she prayed and prayed

And the diamond angel filled muds hole

The wicked king of clubs himself

Fell in face down in front of gold

Now three kings come to clubs command

But the angels from the sky did ride

Three kings up on the streets of gold

Three fireballs on the muddy side

The club queen heard her husband's call

But lord that queen of diamond's joy

When the outlaw in the heavenly hall

Turned out to be a wandering boy

Now mud he checked and gold bet all

And mud he raised and gold did call

And the smile just melted off his face

When mud turned over that diamond ace

Now here's what this story's told

If you feel like mud you'll end up gold

If you feel like lost, you'll end up found

So amigo, lay them raises down

• Members

I've only listened a couple of the first submissions but I had to stop and comment early:

JKater: welcome to the VOM! It's good to see a face behind the chops! You did great even with some late background noise! OT: you've inspired me to shake the rust off my repertoire, but I've got a lot of "background noise: to deal with - see comments regarding my 4 year-old wannabe drummer below! :)

rhancox: WOW! :eek: Great job on the whole Reaper multitrack. I knew it was going to be good when you kept true to the original opening mono track but when the "lead" came in I just smiled and said "niiiice!" I'm also a big fan of Reaper but never really pushed its multitracking capabilities, instead just sticking with the whole singer/strumming VOM1T mentality instead. I dunno, I just could never keep that "feeling" alive and always seemed to lose the tempo. YOu've inspired to me to give it a try. Speaking of which, great job on using the Rock Band drums! Now I've got to get a set of those for my 4yo! ;)

• Members

Hi guys - Got to listen to some more.

Michael Martin - Hey my first guitar was an EKO acoustic. My Dad gave it to me as a kid in the late 70's. I remember that it had a metal bridge, maybe aluminum, and the strings were a mile off the neck. Surprised that I stuck with it. Sounds like yours is a little easier to play.

Chris Carnucci - Good to hear you back man. It's funny how you can write something so sad yet be so happy at the same time. Guess we carry all of that stuff around for a reason man.

Kwakatak - Great tune. That is one of my favorite Tommy E tunes

Steve Jones - Man that was some great blues... I love your attack on the guitar. That guitar knows it's been played when you put it down....

• Members

Jkater: I dig it--sounds like something Stack would do. Very sweet playing, cool guitar. Great to have you with us this month.

hyp: Funny black-humor story--the happy ditty-ness of the mood belies the tragedy, but it all makes sense in the end. Nature's revenge!

rhancox: Wow very PF. Great project to do all those tracks, even down to the wind effect. I agree the main clean guitar sounds phenomenal. At first thought the vocals were too echo-ey but didn't think so later. Thought I would dislike drums (usu. don't like non-human percussion) but even that worked. Excellent recording all-around! BTW here in Rome, this is a VERY popular song for the piazza guitar buskers. Top 3: WYWH, Hotel CA, Stairway. On accordions, of course, it's Theme from Godfather and My Way. :p

Mr. Moe: 1978? Good heavens. So, a duo, with keyboards? Was this recorded in an actual lounge? Interesting that your vocals very recognizable, even though this was so long ago. You were already a very good performer way back then. (If an audio file of me from '78 existed, I would make sure it never saw the light of day) :)

Fuss: When the vocals came in I thought I had the wrong link. Yes she does have quite the voice--beautiful harmonizing too on her part. She reminds me of Ann Wilson a bit. As a recording, the vocals seem a bit TOO perfect/slickly "processed"--but your guitar sounds fantastic. Love this song. Have always admired your playing. I esp. love the little bits you do there near the end. Great arrangement.

Stack: Raspy, buzzy, bite and bark! Sometimes you make me think of all the things I love about Billy Gibbons. This is totally cool in every respect.

BluTune: Really admire the spare guitar--it never gets in the way of the song, leaves lots of emotional space for the poignant and hopeful lyric. A song that could lift someone up in a bad moment. Great match of lyric and musical "mood".

Etienne: Great to hear the version of this with vocals! As instrumental-only it was intriguing, but with vocal/lyrics it takes on a whole new level of spooky dreamy-ness. Such a fab potpourri of sounds you wreak from your synth, coming at the ears from all around, all woven together so expertly.

Archived