Is your recording / mix any good? Find out here!

• Members

I posted this in the amp forum since I mostly hang out there, but any criticism from you guys would be great.

I've been working really hard trying to get good at this whole game, but it's not coming along as good as I'd hoped it would.

This isn't my song but I recorded it today trying to do a tone/mix test as it's similar to the stuff I write.

Any feedback would be great.

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/55-testmix2.mp3

I dont like the snare not enough punch feels muffled. The rest sounds great

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Alright, I figured I'd throw a couple things out there for critique, although it's older work of mine.

I'll work on getting a soundclick profile to host these on, but until then you'll just have to hear it with that myspace "real world" sound.;)

19521 Chaos was a jazz / prog group from my hometown. I recorded them as my final project at school before I graduated in '07. They've since broken up, which is a bummer because I think their demo came out pretty cool. This mix was done through a Mackie 32-8 with a lot of outboard stuff... very little was happening in the box.

Progress is a CT hardcore band I recorded in my basement. I did the songs "Potential" and "Over Time."

Alcohol, I really liked the drum sound on your mix. The vocals had a certain comb filtering / out of phase thing going on that bugged me. Did you use any spatial processing on your mix buss? I might suggest going a little easier on that, as it can really pull your head apart when used to an extreme. Also I feel like the lead vocal is really slamming your mix buss compressor, which is desirable to an extent but it's a little extreme here.

• Members

I'll take a shot here..

http://www.myspace.com/hiddenalibi

Let me know what you think about the first song, "Words In The Sand".

Basically, this is whats going on with this recording. We were checking out various studios, and this guy had this pretty sweet studio setup in his house, with protools, a couple of drum mics, various tube preamps, a 57, and a cheap condenser. Me and our singer (to keep it simple) went and recorded this song over the course of a few days. Our singer played drums, sang, and some of the keyboard parts on the recording, his wife did some harmonies on the chorus parts, helped with the "ohs" at the end of the song, I did pretty much everything else.

This is a pretty rough mix, there are virtually no plug-ins yet (some verb, and maybe a pinch of EQ). I'd really just like to get a couple of other opinions on what we have going with this studio, because the guy that owns it is a super nice guy, and will record our whole album (which will be a double disk) for next to nothing per session.

Thanks for the opinions,

- Corey

• Members

I'll take a shot here..

http://www.myspace.com/hiddenalibi

Let me know what you think about the first song, "Words In The Sand".

Basically, this is whats going on with this recording. We were checking out various studios, and this guy had this pretty sweet studio setup in his house, with protools, a couple of drum mics, various tube preamps, a 57, and a cheap condenser. Me and our singer (to keep it simple) went and recorded this song over the course of a few days. Our singer played drums, sang, and some of the keyboard parts on the recording, his wife did some harmonies on the chorus parts, helped with the "ohs" at the end of the song, I did pretty much everything else.

This is a pretty rough mix, there are virtually no plug-ins yet (some verb, and maybe a pinch of EQ). I'd really just like to get a couple of other opinions on what we have going with this studio, because the guy that owns it is a super nice guy, and will record our whole album (which will be a double disk) for next to nothing per session.

Thanks for the opinions,

- Corey

I would say you have something good going on there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Got a metal mix here that I did on behalf of Erock503 ;]

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/14-HopeGone.mp3

Engl SE EL34, quad tracked rhythm guitars with SM57 center and Sennheiser E609 on the edge (recieved blended tracks), Addictive Drums + Sample Augmentation on the kick and snare (Andy Sneap's Chimaira samples)

Just a bass DI processed to {censored} for bass and vocals were me through an SM57.

Opinions, critique, blind praise (haha), all is welcome. :D

• Members

Alright, I figured I'd throw a couple things out there for critique, although it's older work of mine.

I'll work on getting a soundclick profile to host these on, but until then you'll just have to hear it with that myspace "real world" sound.
;)

19521 Chaos
was a jazz / prog group from my hometown. I recorded them as my final project at school before I graduated in '07. They've since broken up, which is a bummer because I think their demo came out pretty cool. This mix was done through a Mackie 32-8 with a lot of outboard stuff... very little was happening in the box.

Progress
is a CT hardcore band I recorded in my basement. I did the songs "Potential" and "Over Time."

Alcohol, I really liked the drum sound on your mix. The vocals had a certain comb filtering / out of phase thing going on that bugged me. Did you use any spatial processing on your mix buss? I might suggest going a little easier on that, as it can really pull your head apart when used to an extreme. Also I feel like the lead vocal is really slamming your mix buss compressor, which is desirable to an extent but it's a little extreme here.

locust tree,

thanks for giving a listen. Yes I did put some effects that played with the phase to give the singers voice more body and edge. I'm going to have to abandon that approach. I got to find the right mic for him.

I listened to your jazz piece and the hardcore stuff. Nicely done, everything is where it should be. The hardcore stuff has a good sharp edge to the guitars, the drums sound good. I think that's the better of the mixes and sounds very good indeed. In contrast, while the jazz tune is nicely balanced the cymbals and snare sound a bit bright to my ears. It sounds like the snare is all top mic. All in all a good job and any criticism I'm giving is negligible to a job well done.

• Members

Okay, lots of disclaimers on this one.

1. This was recorded in a basement

2. I am obviously by no means a pro, nor do I claim to be

3. The screaming is different (you'll see what I mean)

4. This is just a friend of mine's band that I recorded

So I guess I'm looking for critique of the mix, or whatever else you have to give me that's not related to the skill level, style, or anything else related to the band itself...

Mirror Mirror

• Members

Okay, lots of disclaimers on this one.

1. This was recorded in a basement

2. I am obviously by no means a pro, nor do I claim to be

3. The screaming is different (you'll see what I mean)

4. This is just a friend of mine's band that I recorded

So I guess I'm looking for critique of the mix, or whatever else you have to give me that's not related to the skill level, style, or anything else related to the band itself...

Mirror Mirror

The bass could use a bit more punch and the clean intro should have some more sparkle (depending if youre looking for that sound or not, just my opinion) by boosting above 10kHz.

• Members

Hey!

I just recording this as an recording i did a couple of weeks ago and did the mix/master just this weekend. I would like some feedback on the mix of the song. Anything you guys can think of shoot! And I also can take negative feedback, don't hold back!

The song was recorded at my school for audio-engineering in Sweden. We used an SSL Duality to record and mix with. I also used a lot of outboard analog EQ's and compressors. The master was done digitally with mostly Waves and SSL-simulated plugins.

Here is the first song

ftp://ftp:1234@77.110.48.8/ralantango/jivin_02.wav

The second song is not mastered yet but I plan to master it in the coming days. So, pls, listed to the first song a couple of times and give me some thoughts!

I really look forward to your thoughts about it! Thanks!

• Members

This is my first attempt at recording another band. Hopefully it's not the last. Let me know what sucks.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7492433

(drummer kinda fumbles at the beginning, but after the intro it rocks pretty good) Also, this isn't my band so any criticism welcome.

I'm not too into metal, but that was cool music, though the vocals were definitely not my thing. For that reason, perhaps, the vocals seemed too out front. But what do I know. :confused:

I know nothing about mixing / mastering, that's why I'm hanging out here.

• Members

This was recorded using a Yamaha 8 track tape, I'm fairly satisfied with it but would like some opinion other than my own on the mix.

Gear used: Digitech RP1. 62 Strat straight into the fx then the recorder. Alexis (sp) drum box, Ibanez something or other bass.

The vox are a little pitchy but I think it actually fits the song.

anyway, any feedback will be appreciated

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6823467

• Members

This is my first attempt at recording another band. Hopefully it's not the last. Let me know what sucks.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7492433

(drummer kinda fumbles at the beginning, but after the intro it rocks pretty good) Also, this isn't my band so any criticism welcome.

To be completely honest, I really liked it until the vocals came in. The mix is pretty good actually. What amps/mics did you use on guitars and what mics for drums?

• Members

it was a line 6 amp(I think it was the meshuggah setting). used a 57 stuck about 1/2 way from the dust cone to the edge of the cone. Recorded 2 tracks with 1 guitar and another 2 tracks with a different guitar. Used ksm27x2 as overheads. Then miced each drum with a 57. The floor tom got miced with a beta58a. Thank you for the comments.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm not too into metal, but that was cool music, though the vocals were definitely not my thing. For that reason, perhaps, the vocals seemed too out front. But what do I know.
:confused:

I know nothing about mixing / mastering, that's why I'm hanging out here.

not your fault, the singer was not good. the music was loud and clear, i thought the drums could have used some mix and eq work but over all it was good.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I am a student in the Music Production Program at Hocking College. I have some mixes due soon and was wondering if I could get some critiques from some other people than just my friends. This is the link to the songs.

http://www.audiofarm.org/pages/1352-capstone

I am having trouble getting them to translate well on different speakers, especially the fourth one (4. Four), so any help with that would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Nick B.

• 1 month later...