Is your recording / mix any good? Find out here!

• Members
one thread for all of this stuff is a bad idea.

maybe a section of forum, but one thread? nobody looks.

Yeah I thought the same thing. No one reads only posts. There should be an entire forum dedicated to this or else what's the point? It's kind of senseless if noone listens and posts feedback.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Please let me know what you think of this sound. I don't usually make songs, this is a collaboration but all that's sounds, arrangement, engineering and a good part of music composition is mine. As the text written by this friend of mine is something pretty "zen" I went for a minimalistic arrangement and I tried to get a soft, peaceful, "suspended on air" atmosphere.

http://www.alfonsodamora.it/L_E_B/les_jours.mp3

:)

• Members
I love this alphonso. The perc sound is so cool. Like Jarre with voice. Nice.

I'm pretty proud of that perc sound....I sampled an ancient Korg Minipops drum box, the one with the latin etc. patterrns, then I have cut them in single sounds and use them in a 8 parts drum sequencer made with a Scope modular..the cool thing is that I can make any pattern I want, add swing and most of all change the pitch (it's evident in the track), the envelope and process separately but it retains that analog flavor...

• Members

Nice mix! Good focal point through out. Nothing over powering and I really liked the way the guitars set off to the sides, clear, but not crushing everything else.

I'm using ear buds but the volumn was good and the EQ seemed right....but, I'm no good at mastering....just learning about mixing at the present so my opinion might mean crap. So, from a listeners pov = I liked it!:thu:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Can an old geezer wake up this thread and get in on this?

This is from my first session with my brand new Tascam 80-8 in about 1976 or so. For you youngsters, an 80-8 is an analog 8 track recorder. I picked up the machine the day before this session, graduating from a history of four track. What a relief. These guys did an album and gave me quite the workout considering everything. The band was from Chile and spoke broken English and I spoke no Spanish. This is all analog, no digits were harmed in the making of this music. "Talking With My Drums" :)
http://media.putfile.com/Talking-With-My-Drums

This one is from about a year later and was done as a spoof to a songwriting contest that was sponsored by KQRS, the most popular local radio station at the time. The 12 winners selected in the contest would be pressed on an album that was released to all the local record stores. This one, a spoof of the contest, ended up on the album. A call it a "tender teenage love ballad". It is titled "That's What I Said", for obvious reasons. All analog again.
http://media.putfile.com/Thats-What-I-Said-67

This was done after I sold my studio stuff and was working for a pro audio business (about 1980 or so). I always was the one who played with all the new toys when they first came in. I have to admit that I did, in fact, harm some digits in recording this one. While the song went down on analog tape, I did use a new, at the time, Klark Teknik digital processor for all of the effects. This was recorded in the showroom of the pro audio store on a few Sunday afternoons. Sorry about the overload in spots.
"One Winter's Day on a New York Subway".
http://media.putfile.com/One-Winters-Day-on-a-New-York-Subway

• Members

If you have the time, is it any good?

Here's a project of 4 original songs recorded in my small home studio.

AT-2020 for acoustic guitar, SM-58 for vocals and harmonica. Keyboard, Casio direct.

Tracked, mixed using Adobe Audition 1.5 (mastered??) Sound Forge.

Comments?

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=240341362

• Members
Well that certainly didn't get much response. Here's another that hopefully is at least recognizable.

http://media.putfile.com/ryears

Cool songs. The mix was a bit thin, esp. the guitar and bass. Also, not sure but it sounded like it was breaking up a little on your crashes. Over all, not bad! levels seemed right with each other. Entire mix level was about right.

• Members

Please check out my mixes for the 3 songs in the player. Please comment on levels, eq, etc. etc. I'm still in the beginning stages of the mixing/mastering learning curve.

Music is from a solo metal project. Sonar produced, sessiondrummer2 and some samples. guitars and bass real.

www.myspace.com/deathchantmusictracks

Thank You in advance for your time and opinion!:thu:

• Members

Hey everybody

http://www.myspace.com/sykomusic

The song "Song Looking For Name" is my first serious atempt to fully record/mix a song. So please tell me what you think bout it. Especialy mixing wise, what could/should have been done better.

And as you might have realised "Song Looking For Name" is still looking for its name, so please, after you listen to it, tell me what feelings/images it evokes in you.

Thanx

SykosSearchingString1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've got a couple I wouldn't mind a critique on. namely "something heavy" & "reminds me of surfing" just click the link in my sig.

I know I am not the best guitar player in the world!:lol: these were recorded direct through a Pod 2.0. I think I have reached a new level in my recording quest recently, that I believe will bear a riper fruit! I am working on a couple songs right now, with real amps and stuff, that I think will sound (production wise) much better than these. I am greatly anticipating your opinions!:thu:

thanks guys!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I plan to jump in here and listen to you guys stuff as I do not feel it is right to ask for a review without reviewing someone elses material first....but, the days almost over so i'll get back to that monday.

in the mean time, if anyone has a chance, please review any of the songs here at www.myspace.com/firewithinmusic

I feel I am having a problem getting the kick loud enough without having to use allot of compression which ruins the songs. Anyone have suggestions on drum kick eq curve?

Right now, I am cutting around 180hz and boosting around 2.5k but apperently, thats not doing the trick as I am not hearing the kick!

Thank ahead, monday I'll def return the favor, great thread!

• Members

Back off on the compression of the kick drum. If it's not RMS detection then it's often best used on drums for shaping the attack, but not so much for gaining volume. If it is RMS compression, then turn it off, It's only going to ruin your kick drum sound and give it a bloated sort of feel. Unless it's really short and whimpy to start with.

My advice however would be to listen to what's covering up those parts of the kick drum sound that you need to identify it rhythmically. If the high end crack of the kick is at 2.5k, then maybe cut that frequency a bit in the guitar and bass tracks. Also, I'd suggest not cutting 180hz too much unless it really does need it. That's a nice frequency that can translate well to lots of other speakers. There's nothing more annoying then a bass drum that doesn't have a good bit of body/bass until about 100hz.

Also, maybe find another frequency a bit higher, it might be between 4k and 8k, where the attack of the bass drum really seems to stand out, and give that a bit of a boost.

Oh, and don't be afraid to spend a lot of time automating the volume itself.

Hope this helps.

• Members
Back off on the compression of the kick drum. If it's not RMS detection then it's often best used on drums for shaping the attack, but not so much for gaining volume. If it is RMS compression, then turn it off, It's only going to ruin your kick drum sound and give it a bloated sort of feel. Unless it's really short and whimpy to start with.

My advice however would be to listen to what's covering up those parts of the kick drum sound that you need to identify it rhythmically. If the high end crack of the kick is at 2.5k, then maybe cut that frequency a bit in the guitar and bass tracks. Also, I'd suggest not cutting 180hz too much unless it really does need it. That's a nice frequency that can translate well to lots of other speakers. There's nothing more annoying then a bass drum that doesn't have a good bit of body/bass until about 100hz.

Also, maybe find another frequency a bit higher, it might be between 4k and 8k, where the attack of the bass drum really seems to stand out, and give that a bit of a boost.

Oh, and don't be afraid to spend a lot of time automating the volume itself.

Hope this helps.

Big help! Thanks a ton!

• Members

hey folks i have been working on this album for a while its been mixed through 3 different DAWs and now the one that will be its final resting place is seriously lacking some nice plugins. I also am aware its not doen i have a couple more ideas for the mix but i just got all disgruntled listening to it today. I also have just listened to this waay to many times and would like any input/suggestions you may have. Please.

here.mp3 - 3.12MB

thanks!