Is your recording / mix any good? Find out here!

• Members

d32xd
brownte

dude, the word of the day is 'muddy'. overall, it has the feel of a twice-dubbed cassette tape. details seem lost. in some ways, the separation is better on the older version. (don't mean to sound discouraging! keep recording and experimenting!)

Thanks for listening! I haven't heard yours yet since I'm at work and the speakers here are crappy.

No worries about discouraging. It's better to hear the critiques since the only other people who've listened prior to this are friends who are not "critical listeners" for the most part. They tend to give reviews like, "Wow!! You recorded something on the computer! Sweet!"

I hear what you are saying about muddy. Several others have now mentioned it to me on the Reaper forum. I've been playing with it a bit more to try and clear it up, but haven't gotten close to posting an update yet.

I split my rhythm guitar into two tracks and panned it better to make more space in the center for the vocs and I've been tweaking the EQ on the drums, rhythm guitar and vocs to try and clear them up some more.

Unfortunately, my budget has me stuck with standard computer speakers with a subwoofer at home so a lot of my tweaking is coming down to guess work. Eventually I'll get something that isn't so cluttered sounding though.

• Members

New tune, studio reworked since last time.

http://www.geoffreywelchman.com/images/Hit_the_Spot.mp3

Drums are getting better, and I'm happy with the general vibe and the pan lay-out . . any thots on the bassiness? I like it, but would be interested to hear if it sounded too bottomy on anyone's system.

tanks.

Finally got a chance to listen. I like it. It's a hair too bassy here for me, but as we've seen, my monitoring leaves something to be desired.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

the link to my band's myspace is in my sig. recording was done by our other guitarist with a digi design preamp, sm 57 on guitars, and some audio technica condenser for vocals. drums were mic'd with some old CADs. it was recorded with pro tools v. 5 i think. old. given the resources and the fact that he's still in high school, id say its pretty good. what do you think?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I've been posting around this forum and have found it really helpful with some real friendly folks, so I decided to ask you guys for your opinion on some of my mixes. It's my own music and was recorded with my band between touring (of which we've been doing a LOT) in the last couple of months as I had the time. I produced everything and took the songs from rough ideas to what you'll find here. I'm the guitarist and vocalist on these songs as well. Here are the links:

Uhuru: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7106661

Sister: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7106679

mrrecordlabelman: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7106779

Feel free to critique my recording, mixing and production of these songs, or even to tell me what you think of the songs themselves. I only chose 3 songs here because I feel these give a general idea of how I did, but feel free to give me your opinion on any of the other songs I recorded with them. I'm always on a mission to improve my skills, so I would really appreciate any input. Here is the link: www.soundclick.com/joellisband

This is what was used for the recording:

FMR RNP for all everything needing 2 or less channels

Mackie VLZ desk for extra channels on drums (toms and overheads)

Samson Resolv 65a Monitors

Mission speakers with Rotel amp

Small PC-speakers for occasional lo(west)-fi check

Reasonably treated 10'X18' control room

Pretty acoustically dead 10'X9' iso booth used for vocals, amps, etc.

MICS:

Vox: Studio Projects C1

Guitar Amp: SM57, with SP C1 added in for cleans

Bass amp: SP C1 added to DI'd signal

Kick drum: Samson Q Kick

Snare Top: SM57

Toms: SM57

Overheads: Samson C02

I mixed ITB and did some mastering as far as I can using digitalfishphones Endorphin, a TC Native EQ and the George Yohng W1 Limiter.

• Moderators

Killer V PM'ed me and asked to comment on his tunes and recordings. I've only listened to Uhuhu so far. I wouldn't typically go in depth with suggestions like this but he asked that I do so. So...

First off, I really dig the overall style you've got going. Hard Rock without the silliness. :thu:

Uhuru

Nice playing all around. Cool vibe and cool tune.

Great guitars. Love the wah-delay intro sections. Nice bass tone. Nice kick.

The snare needs high end. The OHs in general are favoring the cymbals. A bit swishy? Ever try the Glynn John's style OHs? I dig the natural snare style but think you need to get more impact. Bell at 2k, shelf at 8k. Notch at 500Hz or so.

Solo. You could stand to set the solo back a tad with some ambience. Either a mono room panned off or a delay into a mono room. Try this... A 400 ms delay into a room reverb. Sometimes it's cool to pan the solo off 50% one direction and the delay 50% in the other. This is especially cool with the 400ms into a mono room. Sounds like you're lighting up a Chicago nightclub/Theater hitting the back balcony. Then pull the level down just a tad from where it is now. The spread will sound like a roar and you'll give more an impression of VOLUME!!!

The vocals need to go either way for me. Either right up in your face, or more set back and hi-fi. I'd go up in your face. While your vocal level is fine, it needs more aggression. Cut some of the low mids, maybe limit and distort the vocal slightly. If cutting isn't enough, try boosting some mids. Maybe a distorntion would get it there. Try some doubles in the SEE/DOWN sections. And when you do an octave above, go wild with the singing. More intense, then set it back with delay. Overall the lead vocal really needs more intensity. Consider retracking and opening up like you do when you guys are onstage and on fire.

Overall I really dig this first one. I just think you need some fun production tricks to lift certain sections and more emphasis on the snare and vocal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi Everyone!

Well, I've finally gotten something finished and have worked up the nerve to post it here and see what people think about it. It's the first song on my Soundclick and ReverbNation pages called "Hey Gwen." It was inspired by the (then) upcoming birth of my first child. (She's 3 mo. old now)......The only disclaimer I'll offer to start with is that the 128k mp3 on both pages sounds a good bit "swishier" in the highs on the cymbals than it does for me playing the original local file at home. Gotta love the internet.

Hi Brownte (and everyone else for that matter). I'll be looking some feedback of my own very soon so I hope you don't mind me reviewing your mix to kick the whole thang off.

Anyhow, I liked your song. I'm a sucker for big harmonies and backing vocals, so my first suggestion would be to make them more prominent throughout the song. Regarding the main vocals, I had trouble hearing all the words. I think this is maybe an eq situation, or it may be that you need to bump them up a bit more. I think that when you mix your own songs you tend to be more conscious about the vocals and not push them as much as you might for someone else. Bump 'em up, it's the main thing people will be hearing anyway, so give the folks what they want.

Other than that no criticism from me, I like the guitar tones and wouldn't have thought you were using drum samples if you hadn't pointed it out (but then I am quite cloth-eared). Well done my good man, well done indeed. Oh, and just to point out, I'm listening on quite lo-fi laptop speakers. Hardly cutting edge audiophile quality but it's all subjective anyways, isn't it?

• Members

New tune, studio reworked since last time.

http://www.geoffreywelchman.com/images/Hit_the_Spot.mp3

Drums are getting better, and I'm happy with the general vibe and the pan lay-out . . any thots on the bassiness? I like it, but would be interested to hear if it sounded too bottomy on anyone's system.

tanks.

Hi geoffrey, had a listen to "Hit The Spot", I like it. Regarding the bass levels (and this is based on me listening on laptop speakers), I didn't find the bass that obvious or well defined. I can hear lead and rhythm guitars, but no definite bass guitar. Now, obviously I'm not going to get gut-busting bass on a laptop, and I don't know if that's what you were going for, but as so so many people choose to listen on crappy systems these days isn't it important to get a response from someone listening that way? But hey, I'm pretty cloth eared.

Ok, now that I've rationalised and covered myself from rebuke, let me say that I really liked the mix. Great guitar tones, double tracked vocals are always good in my book, and yes those drums sound good. Only thing I would say is that it's a little polite at times. Smear a bit more grime on the vocals, the drums, the bass, well on everything really. I just think your song could growl a little more.

Anyhow, just my 0.02 worth, I hope it's of some use to you, and if not feel free to disregard me. I am a mere novice at the end of the day.

• Members

Sister:
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7106679

I mixed ITB and did some mastering as far as I can using digitalfishphones Endorphin, a TC Native EQ and the George Yohng W1 Limiter.

Hi KillerV

Really interesting song to listen to (Sister, that is). Certain elements sound like something you could hear on mainstream radio, while certain elements are nearly there but not quite right (in my humble opinion).

I think the snare needs a bit more work to make it sound consistently good. There are parts of the song when I think it sounds great, but for the most part it's just a little flat. Also, I think the guitars (specifically the parts at the start), need a bit more brightness and perhaps bite to them. Other than that, I too think you should look into doing something with the vocals, just to give them a little bit more identity, be it double tracking, harmonies, FX, whatever you think yourself.

Anyway, I think you've done a fantastic job. I'll be back to check out the other songs, but for now I've got some posting of my own to do. Well done.

• Members

OK, it's my turn. :)

I present to you two mixes of songs by buddies of mine whom I'm helping with the recording of their respective EP and album. I am a home recording novice, I have been learning the craft for the last two years, but am still very much finding my way, especially with the art of mixing.

Anyway, I've been working on these mixes recently and have got them as good as I can get them without a fresh set of ears, so here I am. Basically any feedback, criticism, thoughts, or advice would be really appreciated. Assume I have no idea of what I'm doing and you'll get an idea of where I'm at.

"Kicked Off The Planet" - Geoff Gatt

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/336056/KICKEDMIXMP3.mp3

"The Girl Who Loves You So" - Ellen Turley

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/336056/GIRLMP3.mp3

(Both files are 256kbps MP3 files, peaking at -1.5dbfs in Sonar)

A few brief recording details;

MICS - Generally Rode NT2a condensers, but also SM57s, BETA 57s, Blue Bluebird condenser, Sontronics Sigma ribbon.

PRES - Focusrite Saffire Pro26 pres, and a TL Audio Fat-Funker tube preamp.

DAW - Sonar 7 on a Fujitsu Laptop running Focusrite Liquid-Mix and more.

I'm advising both artists to get their songs mastered by someone who really knows what they're doing, and wouldn't blame them if they asked someone more proficient to mix them too, but I likes a challenge and would like to get the mixes good enough for mastering. To that end, that's the sort of feedback I really need (but fire away with any other thoughts too).

So, what do you reckon? If you have any questions about the recording fire away and I'll happily answer them. Most of all, I hope you enjoy the tunes. Peace out y'all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Great summation-!!

I am in a live room 20x30x12 and NEED help with how to use bleeding as a plus to the recording. This is my second cd project and rack my brain on how to isolate more, to make the room I have work for me???

Because of the bleed, when I move one fader it also changes the level of the next closes instrument. If I cut the highs on the cymbals the flute high end gets cut as well. If I up the horn vol the drums are louder in the mix.

Syn, can you help me with the isolation and EQ problems. Maybe I've made the wrong mic choice on an instrument???

Thanks for your kind comment on the tune-!!

-jim

That's too much bleed and I'd start baffling to taste. I think the key to these recordings is getting the room as a separate entity, where you have a stereo picture of all the players together and then highlight each of them from there with spot mikes. That's quite difficult without a great sounding space, however, because it will also clue listeners into dimensions when they hear the reverb ring out.

Maybe you could nix the reverb altogether and settle for a smaller space, which is more conducive to jazz anyway. That would probably take some test/rehearsal recordings to get right, fewer spot mikes, and a good amount of repositioning.

• Members

Could use some feedback on this mix, thanks a lot

Let me know how this sounds to you all...I'm working on the final mix and losing all sense of objectivity...Advice on anything would be great, drum sound, levels, vocal levels, etc

Next time soundclick.

Annoying high midrange that is not cohesive with frequencies above and below. Yes.. The cymbals have too much high end but not enough high mids; the guitars have too much high mids and not enough mids, same with the vocals though they don't sound particularly out of place.

The drums. Clinky hi-hat, basket-ball kick, thin toms. While the OH mix is about where I'd put it, maybe this song could use more. Some sample laying (not replacement in this case) could help beef things up. There's no ring-out to anything.. It sounds very unnatural.

The reverbs on some vocal phrases could be made mono and have a much longer decay. This is a solution for creating effectual space without taking up too much room.

• Members

I have been told that this is a 'perfect' mix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdChofKFW38

But, I value your knowledge here.

So let me know what you think and how it might be improved.

Thanks for listening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdChofKFW38

ooops... above are 'compressed 160kbps MP3'

for those that have 'perfect ears' here are the uncompressed wav files for the first two:

https://download.yousendit.com/bVlERFFlK3g4Q1JMWEE9PQ

https://download.yousendit.com/bVlERFFSZ1BtNEozZUE9PQ

A challenge: can anyone here a difference between the compressed and uncompressed versions of the mix?

Hope at least ONE will invest the time and effort to listen carefully.

Otherwise, what is the purpose of this thread :-).

• Members

Next time soundclick.

Annoying high midrange that is not cohesive with frequencies above and below. Yes.. The cymbals have too much high end but not enough high mids; the guitars have too much high mids and not enough mids, same with the vocals though they don't sound particularly out of place.

The drums. Clinky hi-hat, basket-ball kick, thin toms. While the OH mix is about where I'd put it, maybe this song could use more. Some sample laying (not replacement in this case) could help beef things up. There's no ring-out to anything.. It sounds very unnatural.

The reverbs on some vocal phrases could be made mono and have a much longer decay. This is a solution for creating effectual space without taking up too much room.

Thanks a lot for listening! I have uploaded the song to our band's server here:

http://www.sittinidol.com/Slider4.m4a

Cheers

• Members

Thanks a lot for listening! I have uploaded the song to our band's server here:

http://www.sittinidol.com/Slider4.m4a

Cheers

Well I listened the first time anyway, but at least it's a little more accessible. Your own website is even better. I see you mentioned drum sounds in your initial post... That's really the only sore thumb to me. The tonal balance and FX suggestions are minor at best; I would finesse the drums before all else.

I would not be afraid of layering very unorthodox samples. It's not a well-known fact, but even Drumagog has simple waveforms (sine, square, triangle, etc) built in that you can layer underneath the replacement sample. It's more or less synthesis when the two sounds are summed - kind of in an additive way because you're creating one sound from several, though there is no direct or predictable grafting of waveforms due to their complexity, nor do they share any type of parameter modulation.

• Members

I've just gotten back home after being away for almost a month (some touring with my band and holiday after that). Lee Knight and TalkShowMan, thank you very much for the comments on my recordings. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to give them a listen and giving me such great advice. I'm really glad you like the songs.

I'll definitely experiment with vocals a little more and try a couple of your suggestions. On the performance side of things I usually don't like what my voice does when I push it a bit harder, so I usually play it safe. Maybe I should put more work into that.

I've been wanting to experiment with the Glynn Johns setup, so I'll give it a try sometime soon. I think most of the things that can be improved upon in this recording drum-wise has to do with my room. Since this recording I've done LOTS of work on my room, which allowed me to get my overhead mics up higher above the kit, giving me a better overall sound of the kit. My snare sounds have also been coming out better - more crisp and clear. On this recording I just had a mic on top of the snare, but after a suggestion on this forum I've been experimenting with a 2nd mic on the side, which is also making life easier.

• Members

We lost the masters to some of our older tunes. So we would have to copy the vinyl recording.

Just wondering if this recording sounds to dated or flawed to ad to our new cd project. I was hoping to save some time by not having to re-record some of the material and just adding a couple of old releases, as is, to the new cd project?

Any comments on the record/play quality would be greatly appreciated.

Use it or redo it?

http://iacmusic.com/play2.aspx?songI...0Page%20Single

Thanks!

Link was broken for me.

• Members

We lost the masters to some of our older tunes. So we would have to copy the vinyl recording.

Just wondering if this recording sounds to dated or flawed to ad to our new cd project. I was hoping to save some time by not having to re-record some of the material and just add a couple of old releases, as is, to the new cd project?

Any comments on the record/play quality would be greatly appreciated.

Use it or redo it?

http://iacmusic.com/play2.aspx?songID=70912&source=Artist%20Page%20Single

Thanks!

• Members

Here's one I'm working on.................

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7257319

Hey tilimo, The recording is very good. Very nice full bodied low end on the accoustics as well as crisp well defined top end. Your voice is good as well, I'd like to hear you bust out with it a bit more but I know thats not exactly appropriate for this tune. Vocals are also well recorded, I'm curious what mic and signal path you used. Over all I'd say that this is well done. I would have liked that breakdown part to get a bit more intense but again I realize that's not what you were going for. Good Work.:thu:

• Members

Hey AudioArtist, thanks for the kind words!

guitars were recorded with an sm81 at th 12th fret and and akg c414 over the right shoulder about 24" from the sm81. Both mics went into a FMR RNP mic pre and and FMR RNC compressor. the vocal chain was the akg 414 into an avalon 737 and then into a digitech vocalist pro on a preset patch called goldchannel57. Everything was done into a Korg D3200 recorder in my very small upstairs bedroom/studio. Hope this helps you out................

• Members

I posted this in the amp forum since I mostly hang out there, but any criticism from you guys would be great.

I've been working really hard trying to get good at this whole game, but it's not coming along as good as I'd hoped it would.

This isn't my song but I recorded it today trying to do a tone/mix test as it's similar to the stuff I write.

Any feedback would be great.

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/55-testmix2.mp3